PDA

View Full Version : Painting stripes

supercrackerbox
08-30-2006, 05:42 PM
How exactly do you paint stripes on a car without having a line between the two colors that you can feel? Say, an SC's skunk stripes for example?

MiniMopar
08-30-2006, 06:08 PM
Putting it under the clear would accomplish that, I'd think.

Una
08-30-2006, 07:19 PM
SC's have a nice piece of pinstripe that sits on top of that line. :)

GLHS592
08-30-2006, 09:41 PM
Good luck finding those decals. Besides, painting the pinstripes is much better. The pinstripe decals cheapen a paint job if you ask me.

rich tideswell
08-30-2006, 10:58 PM
remember to get a good masking so the paint doesnt bleed through. to hide the seam will probaly require a few heavy coats of clear and some wet sanding

Clay
08-30-2006, 11:26 PM
You can get what they call 'fine line' tape. Its usually thin, 1/8" to 1/4" wide, and has a very thin edge. Then what Ive done in the past is wetsand the stripe, and then clear over everything. This will leave you no 'feel-able' edge.

Turbo_Rampage
08-30-2006, 11:56 PM
Here are two places that sells the decal kit for the Shelby Charger (and other models as well)

http://www.unleashedbyshelby.com/WebsiteInventory2006Update4.html

http://www.phoenixgraphix.com/p-d/ct8387.htm

Hope this helps

Skibbe
08-31-2006, 02:14 PM
Simple... don't paint one color on top of the other. You'll have to mask the stripe twice, once for each color though. Most just clear over it to make a raised stripe less apparent, but it will still be there.

Clay
08-31-2006, 02:18 PM
Simple... don't paint one color on top of the other. You'll have to mask the stripe twice, once for each color though. Most just clear over it to make a raised stripe less apparent, but it will still be there.

still wont work. You will always have a raised eged against the tape. and its almost impossible to paint two different colors next to each other and get 100% coverage.

basically, no one who professionally paints uses this method.

Skibbe
08-31-2006, 02:19 PM
Good luck finding those decals. Besides, painting the pinstripes is much better. The pinstripe decals cheapen a paint job if you ask me.

I would kill for a set of factory pinstripes for my blue/silver SC. The paint on the car is 95% perfect and original. But, the pinstripe tape is missing. It wouldn't be a problem, but the stripe doesn't line up from the nose to the hood. I agree that painting is better, but my car doesn't need paint and I want the factory look. I need that printed tape!

I have a complete set of factory striping for a black/silver SC that I would trade.

supercrackerbox
08-31-2006, 02:20 PM
The pinstripes themselves are not available. I called Positive Impessions right after the car got dropped off to make sure.

Thanx for all the tips guys. If I can pull this off, I'll be sure to post pics. It'll be slick, I promise. :D