PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight Fiberglass Rear Hatch For 4 door L body

Reeves
01-16-2014, 10:55 PM
This is a possible group buy for a lightweight fiberglass rear hatch for a 4 door L body.

About the only info I have right now:

A stock hatch weighs ~40 lbs. We are hoping for about 10lbs.

Target price is $400. This definitely depends on how many people we get on board.

We have 2 people confirmed as of now.

I know this guys work well, and it will be nicely built.

There will be no holes in it as of now. (Wioer hole, washer fluid hole, 3rd brake light holes, key hole) We may add a key hole, depending on final construction.

Plan is to still have it seal to stock weatherstrip.

Has to be streetable.

Will come in gel coat only (no paint)

Proabaly will not include Lexan for rear window. May be able to use stock glass if desired.

Guy is mocking up and working on pricing. Depending on how many people we can get really depends on cost. Estimated is $400 to $800.

Any interest?

glhs399
01-17-2014, 01:45 AM
Depending on the final weight I might be interested. If I remember right I have my stock hatch down to 28 pounds with it gutted and lexan. Any estimate on a weight?

Reeves
01-17-2014, 01:58 PM
We are hoping for about 10 lbs.

lengel
01-17-2014, 06:50 PM
40lbs Is that bare hatch or with glass?

zin
01-17-2014, 09:58 PM
That can't be with glass... At least it felt like a lot more when the helper "springs" on my were shot!

Mike

PunKid
01-18-2014, 01:14 PM
sounds cool, what is the plan for the hinge mounting area?

lengel
01-19-2014, 01:17 AM
Wow! The lack of interest is surprising. A 30lb is a big deal when it comes to cutting weight on a omni. Like I said before James I'm in for one. Thanks for the all the leg work on this!

Adam

22shelby
01-19-2014, 03:21 PM
yeah for a bolt on 10 lbs sounds about right... sorry James i wasn't able to get this done for ya... its hard to do with the space i have right now and funding for the material.. its a pretty straigh forward mold to make and if y'all have any questions or need any tip id be more than happy to help where i can...

Reeves
01-19-2014, 03:52 PM
40lbs Is that bare hatch or with glass?

With stock glass, no defrost.

That can't be with glass... At least it felt like a lot more when the helper "springs" on my were shot!

Mike

I agree! They seem like a LOT more! The one I weighed:

Had stock glass, no defrost
Had wiper motor removed
Had 3rd brake light removed
Still had 3rd brake light wiring installed
Still had latch/lock installed
Still had washer fluid squirter installed

sounds cool, what is the plan for the hinge mounting area?

Plan is to bolt to factory hinges.

yeah for a bolt on 10 lbs sounds about right... sorry James i wasn't able to get this done for ya... its hard to do with the space i have right now and funding for the material.. its a pretty straigh forward mold to make and if y'all have any questions or need any tip id be more than happy to help where i can...

I was hoping you'd chime in and say "Hey! I'm already working on these!" So I don't have to. LOL. I'm no fiberglass or body work guy. I would have rather gave you the money, but I understand you were busy.

85boostbox
01-19-2014, 04:02 PM
Has anyone weighed a charger hatch?

22shelby
01-19-2014, 05:15 PM
well... i know you are just gauging intrest in the TM community... i still have intensions of doing one believe me i havent forgot about ya..nothing would make me more happy to say thats my hatch on that car when you are getting interviewed again...

if you have a guy who is willing to help ya and is gung-ho about making one for your car and for others by all means go for it!! :thumb:

if you can stretch out the patience you have already show me just a bit longer, i would love to get a hatch on your car...

and the soonest i would be able to get started on it would be when this weather breaks so i can have the warmth and so i can push the Lancer out onto the driveway... and have the room...its up to you on that...

shmedley
01-20-2014, 02:32 PM
Has anyone weighed a charger hatch?

Hatch with spoiler with out glass was 38 on my bathroom scale

well... i know you are just gauging intrest in the TM community... i still have intensions of doing one believe me i havent forgot about ya..nothing would make me more happy to say thats my hatch on that car when you are getting interviewed again...

if you have a guy who is willing to help ya and is gung-ho about making one for your car and for others by all means go for it!! :thumb:

if you can stretch out the patience you have already show me just a bit longer, i would love to get a hatch on your car...

and the soonest i would be able to get started on it would be when this weather breaks so i can have the warmth and so i can push the Lancer out onto the driveway... and have the room...its up to you on that...

I offered you the space in my garage but you went and moved (and would have to been a 2 door first :eyebrows: )

Pageophile
03-14-2014, 02:34 PM
Sorry to bump a old thread but has this effort fizzled out? A super light rear hatch would be uber-cool

black86glhs
03-14-2014, 10:33 PM
Sorry to bump a old thread but has this effort fizzled out? A super light rear hatch would be uber-coolSame here. I did not see this before. If it bolt to the stock hinges, has the hole for the trunk lock and can use the stock glass, I'm in. My hatch is in bad shape.