PDA

View Full Version : 5spd to the 2.4?

Dave
08-30-2006, 03:35 PM
Has anyone used one of our older 5spd trans with a 2.4? I don't mean the SRT 4 trans, because you need the supporting items for the hydrolic clutch. That seems like a pita.

Would it be easier to install a 523? Or 555? As opposed to the SRT 4. What's involved in mating up the trans to the block?

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
-Bryan

Darkapollo
08-30-2006, 04:02 PM
or you could go with one of the NEON 5spds...

mcsvt
08-30-2006, 04:02 PM
There was a thread on this on TD. All but one hole matches up. You can either leave it or make a bracket to connect the holes. I believe he was using a 568.

Dave
08-30-2006, 11:47 PM
Oh snap. Well I figured it would cost about as much to buy a good torque converter, a 420A core, and a heavy duty rebuild as it would be to do a 5spd conversion with a good clutch.

TurbododgePirate
09-01-2006, 11:52 AM
Oh snap. Well I figured it would cost about as much to buy a good torque converter, a 420A core, and a heavy duty rebuild as it would be to do a 5spd conversion with a good clutch.

Well, right now I have a SRT4 Modular clutch ($50 used low miles) that was modified to fit in a neon NVT350 cable-operated tranny ($250 local junkyard) and bought a OBX LSD to put in it (Don't remember cost)

While the neon trannies are only rated at holding about 150 ft/lb of torque, I can tell you that there are PLENTY of guys running significantly more HP/TQ than that before they pop.

There are 2 issues that I have run into to far.

1) from the simple measurement of pass side mount to tranny mount bracket, there is a fairly large difference between the L body and the neon. I haven't tested it yet, and I plan to, but some cutting and welding may be in order.

2)axle length differences On a neon, the pass side axle is different in length between the ATX and MTX. So while Rob was using stock TBI axles on his 2.4 auto, a five speed will need the TBI drivers side axle, and a different pass side.

When I get my block back from the machine shop I'll have detailed pics and measurements for you. I figure I'll go to the locak axle shop and have some minivan axles cut down.

Dave
09-01-2006, 12:08 PM
Okay great, thanks for the help! :thumb:

I didn't know Rob was using TBI axles. :eyebrows: So I would need a 5spd TBI driver's side axle and another 5spd turbo axle for the pass. side??

TurbododgePirate
09-01-2006, 06:14 PM
As far as I know Rob was using stock omni large splined axles, which would be TBI until he went to a shortened minivan axle. But yes, a TBI large splined drivers side, and a custom pass side..... That's what I am planning right now.

Speedeuphoria
09-01-2006, 07:33 PM
hey show some pics when you get things done, I showed you mine:nod: