PDA

View Full Version : 2.4 swap accessories

wowzer
01-08-2014, 12:20 PM
i located a 2.4 out of a 99 stratus. it does NOT have the alternator, coils, wiring harness or power steering stuff anymore. i will use the smec stuff for the wiring but will the alternator and power steering work from a 89 2.5 CB on the 2.4? or do i need to find all the stuff from another 2.4?

contraption22
01-08-2014, 01:25 PM
If you can find an alternator bracket from a 2.4 caravan, a 2.2/2.5 alternator will bolt up, and place the alt in a near stock location. Depending on what intake manifold you use, there could be some clearance issues there.

I'm not using power steering on mine so I haven't looked into that.

wowzer
01-08-2014, 03:14 PM
thanks mike. i committed to buy a 2.4l tomorrow and now found out he has sold off the accessories, so no motor mounts, alt/power steering units and brackets, starter, etc. i think i will be getting a 420a head to put the exhaust in front. i was hoping my 2.5 brackets etc would bolt up with little modification. if i need to go out and buy a bunch of 2.4 parts to make it work i'll probably cancel the purchase.

Tbird232ci
01-08-2014, 04:16 PM
I've been digging around, and hanging around the neon forums, most of the guys there use the PT cruiser alternator and bracket, and then Modern Performance sells a power steering bracket for the Neons. TurboGod here used the SRT4 power steering pump on a modded bracket, and the PT cruiser alternator setup on his GLH, so it shouldn't be an issue with an Lbody.

That's the route I plan on taking

*edit* I re-read the email where he and I were discussing it, he said he had to massage the frame rail "slightly" to get the PT cruiser alternator to fit. From the sounds of it, it isn't too bad. If I get any more information, I'll pass it on to you.

wowzer
01-08-2014, 10:11 PM
thank you - there appears to be alot of info out there but it's very scattered with a lot of unanswered questions and dead links. i'm going to keep a log of my swap into the l body to share i hope.

Tbird232ci
01-09-2014, 09:27 AM
I'm going to be doing the same thing also. From most of the reading and gathering, it's not a bad swap.

Just to help cut down on digging around for some links:

http://www.modernperformance.com/product/Alternator_Brackets_for_24_swap_95-05_Neon/9599neon_engine_24engineswap_adaptersbrackets

That is the 2.4L alternator brackets. That particular setup will allow you to use a Neon alternator. To save money, you can get the brackets and alternator from any PT cruiser. You just have to match the brackets and alternator from a turbo to non turbo. One has a larger body alternator than the other. I can't remember which is which honestly.

http://www.modernperformance.com/product/MPx_24_Motor_Swap_Power_Steering_Bracket/9599neon_engine_24engineswap_adaptersbrackets

That is the power steering bracket. It's actually a very nice piece. My buddy has a first gen Neon with the bracket, and it's a strong and clean setup. A lot of guys use a second gen neon pump, reservoir and lines for a first gen swap. I have no idea if the Neon lines are anywhere near fitting out cars.

Here is a thread about the power steering setups:

http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=402132

With this alt/power steering setup, you can use a first gen Neon crank pulley with no issues.

*edit* I just popped into a thread where Rich had the power steering pump hit the frame rail of an L-body. Today or tomorrow, I'm going to be talking to TurboGod about his mounts, so I'll ask him about his power steering setup. I know he modified the SRT4 mount and used the SRT4 pump. I'll try to get some more details and post up in here.

wowzer
01-09-2014, 10:48 AM
thx. i was hoping to use as much of my existing stuff from either the SC or van for the swap vs having to buy another alternator, ps pump, brackets, etc. that's the primary info i was looking for. i went thru the ModP website last night. appreciate the links.

contraption22
04-16-2014, 08:49 AM
I'm going to be doing the same thing also. From most of the reading and gathering, it's not a bad swap.

Just to help cut down on digging around for some links:

http://www.modernperformance.com/product/Alternator_Brackets_for_24_swap_95-05_Neon/9599neon_engine_24engineswap_adaptersbrackets

That is the 2.4L alternator brackets. That particular setup will allow you to use a Neon alternator. To save money, you can get the brackets and alternator from any PT cruiser. You just have to match the brackets and alternator from a turbo to non turbo. One has a larger body alternator than the other. I can't remember which is which honestly.

http://www.modernperformance.com/product/MPx_24_Motor_Swap_Power_Steering_Bracket/9599neon_engine_24engineswap_adaptersbrackets

That is the power steering bracket. It's actually a very nice piece. My buddy has a first gen Neon with the bracket, and it's a strong and clean setup. A lot of guys use a second gen neon pump, reservoir and lines for a first gen swap. I have no idea if the Neon lines are anywhere near fitting out cars.

Here is a thread about the power steering setups:

http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=402132

With this alt/power steering setup, you can use a first gen Neon crank pulley with no issues.

*edit* I just popped into a thread where Rich had the power steering pump hit the frame rail of an L-body. Today or tomorrow, I'm going to be talking to TurboGod about his mounts, so I'll ask him about his power steering setup. I know he modified the SRT4 mount and used the SRT4 pump. I'll try to get some more details and post up in here.

So is it the rear-mounted alternator, or the front mounted power steering that has frame interference issues? Or both?

Thanks.

ohiorob
04-18-2014, 08:33 AM
I used the pt mount, neon alt. and had to massage the frame rail. I also had to grind a little on the alt. pulley and nut. my motor moves around some. you would also need the crank pulley that has the smaller inside pulley. just to save you some time the belt I use is a napa 25-040305