PDA

View Full Version : 2.4 engine questions

wowzer
01-02-2014, 05:33 PM
first - i've searched and read until my head is ready to explode. so here goes anyway!

NEW plan (at least for this week) is to do the 2.4 swap in my Lbody charger using my 555 tranny, smec/sbec electronics with a distributor swap and my holset he351cw turbo. Questions are:

1) will i need to use the 2.0 420a head to flip the intake/exhaust to get that turbo setup to fit or is there an aftermarket (or even stock setup) exhaust mani that will work?
2) depending on the answer to 1, does that limit my 2.4 block options, i.e. if i need the 420a does that only fit on certain block years?

i know there is some fabbing needed to be done with motor mounts, turbo oil lines, starter, etc but i need to start the hunt for a motor/block. the two main JYs i checked today have NO 2.4s at all so when one does roll thru i want to be ready to snag it. if need be i can fab up the intake/exhaust manifolds if necessary but would prefer stock options preferably.

wowzer
01-03-2014, 12:10 AM
Looks like I will focus on the pre 2003 block based on the starter setup. Still would like to know if I can squeeze the turbo in the back using either a stock exhaust manifold or an aftermarket one or should just get the 420a head from a 2.0. BTW this is like a subtle bump!

contraption22
02-20-2014, 03:26 PM
I am not sure I understand the question. You could go either way. It seems like most keep the turbo in the back.

wowzer
02-21-2014, 10:05 AM
as usual i asked questions before i knew what i was asking! got a 2.4 out of a 99 stratus and will be putting a 420a head on since i want the turbo up front. this link helped alot http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?f=130&t=318202. quite a few options for manifolds. will probably end up with custom/aftermarket intake and exhaust manifolds.