PDA

View Full Version : So, I got this '88 Dakota with a 2.2 and 5spd.

unclemike
12-28-2013, 04:29 AM
I'm open to suggestions. Has anyone tried to bolt turbo stuff since it's a North South arrangement will it clear the right side inner fender sheet metal?

I got a 318 roller LA motor and access to a early 318 Magnum w LA mounts.

bfarroo
11-16-2014, 01:54 PM
Had a 2.5 turbo motor in my 95 dakota for 3-4 years. It takes some creative plumbing for the exhaust and intake as they are on the wrong sides if you want to use a stock turbo. I knocked the freeze plug out of the end of the intake and used that for the inlet. cut the elbow off the other side and welded on a plate. Probably not the best setup but worked for what I was using it for. Spliced a 88 TII engine harness in so I could use the fuse block of the 95. Ran good and had decent power. Ran non intercooled 7 psi, pulled my daytona, shadow, and csx on a dolly for years but the truck just didn't have enough weight so I upgraded to a ram extended cab and parted the dakota as the rust had taken over. Would be a fun truck if it were lowered with good suspension and an intercooler with more boost and a proper turbo or manifold to place the turbo. Still had AC even.

Vigo
11-16-2014, 01:58 PM
Speaking of non-intercooled 7-8 psi, Pope has said that the log setup will fit in the truck with nothing but an EGR blockoff plate on the turbo inlet, and angling the throttle body instead of having it come straight up off the turbo.

For 7-8psi i think it is probably easier to do a log setup in a dakota then mess with modifying the later intakes and turbo setups. I have always been curious about this idea but i traded my 87 dakota for the 88 626GT turbo/5spd im DD'ing so i kinda shut the door on myself on that one.