PDA

View Full Version : Seatbelt Doesn't lock when pulled?

jefo
12-16-2013, 08:21 PM
Hey guys,

My drivers and passengers seatbelt in my 89 turbo caravan do not lock up when yanked, unlike every other car I have been in.
How do I fix this? Or is this normal end the seatbelt locks some other way? As right now it seems the seatbelt would be useless, and I want to be on the safe side.

-Jeff

turismolover22
12-17-2013, 12:47 AM
They arent designed to lock when yanked, from what i remember

They have a small weight attached to the belt spring carrier, that, when you stop quickly, swings forward, and in doing so pushes up a small plate or rod that clicks into the dog teeth on the belt tumbler. It works like a ratchet that only "clicks" when you are slowing down fast enough. I have my belts from my daytona off. I can get a pic if you need it.

jefo
12-17-2013, 02:07 AM
Ah ok makes sense. Thanks!

Ill have to test them out tomorrow.

supercrackerbox
12-17-2013, 03:36 AM
Try hitting the brakes real hard and see if they lock.

turbodaytona87
12-17-2013, 09:31 PM
They arent designed to lock when yanked, from what i remember

They have a small weight attached to the belt spring carrier, that, when you stop quickly, swings forward, and in doing so pushes up a small plate or rod that clicks into the dog teeth on the belt tumbler. It works like a ratchet that only "clicks" when you are slowing down fast enough. I have my belts from my daytona off. I can get a pic if you need it.

This^

turismolover22
12-18-2013, 02:19 AM
The seatbelts were designed this way to be convenient in any normal use, so they wouldnt lock on you pulling the belt quick to get it on, kids yanking on them, numerous reasons. I hate the ones that lock when yanked, eventually you wear them out because that locking feature is "on" at all times, and mechanical pieces only take so much wear.

The tilt back seats in daytonas were made this way too, iirc. So anyone could merely pull the seat forawrd to enter/exit, and would lock when coming to a stop.

Its whats known as an inertia lock, for what its worth.