PDA

View Full Version : Questions on 2.4 engine swap

TJ Schulze
12-15-2013, 04:58 PM
I am finally switching my 1990 Daytona from the hybrid motor to a full 2.4 set-up. I just picked up a 2.4 out of a 2004 PT non-turbo with all the accessories and 58,000 miles on it. Yeah baby, I will have A/C again!! :thumb:

The first thing I noticed was the intake mounting pattern is way different than it is on the 1996 Stratus head I am using on my hybrid. Other than the thermostat housing being a separate unit on the PT head, this head only has one mounting hole in the top center of the mounting flange where my stratus intake has two side by side. Since I won't be able to use my Stratus intake as I planned, what other options do I have.

The second thing is the oil pressure sending unit. Since it now sticks out where my starter will mount, where can I move it to? I see there are two port that I believe are for oil on the back of the block by the front freeze plug. Can I use one of these? I was also thinking of possibly using one of the ports on the end of the head over the tranny. It sure would make for easy access.

And number three, how susceptible are these motors to heat? I found a broken thermostat in this motor, so I know it was overheated. There is no way that thermostat was going to open.

I am sure I will have many more questions, so thanks for your help.

Troy

rbryant
12-15-2013, 07:11 PM
The first thing I noticed was the intake mounting pattern is way different than it is on the 1996 Stratus head I am using on my hybrid. Other than the thermostat housing being a separate unit on the PT head, this head only has one mounting hole in the top center of the mounting flange where my stratus intake has two side by side. Since I won't be able to use my Stratus intake as I planned, what other options do I have.

It should be possible to redrill the older intake manifold to fit the SRT4 head. There is a thread on that somewhere(here and on neons.org). I can't remember if adapting old to new or new to old was the easier path...

Or you can look for an SRT4 intake manifold or get an older caravan 2 piece intake and make a dcustom plenum.

The second thing is the oil pressure sending unit. Since it now sticks out where my starter will mount, where can I move it to? I see there are two port that I believe are for oil on the back of the block by the front freeze plug. Can I use one of these? I was also thinking of possibly using one of the ports on the end of the head over the tranny. It sure would make for easy access.

I am using a 2.2/2.5 oil distribution block on back of the block where the 2.4l turbo oil feed line goes. That way you can still feed the oil line to the turbo and use the 2.2/2.5 oil sending unit without interfering with the starter. It just requires a 3/8NPT to 1/4" (or 1//8" if it is from an older 2.2) reducing fitting to make the distribution block fit the 3/8" boss on the 2.4l block.

TJ Schulze
12-15-2013, 07:23 PM
I just did some testing on this motor. The compression is #1 128, #2 124, #3 127, #4 123. I did a quick leak down check and my exhaust valves are leaking a small amount on all four cylinders. I did that before the compression test, so I was kind of surprised at how close all the cylinders were to each other.

I pulled the valve over and it looks brand new. everything as clean a clean could be. The plugs looked pretty good. No oil on them, just a bit worn. The intake runners in the head were pretty clean, the exhaust has some carbon build-up, but not bad. Next I want to spray some oil in the cylinders so I can spin it over and see if I get any oil pressure. I should get some kind of reading.

So far this motor is looking pretty good. I am hoping to drop this motor in just as it is for now. Later I will put in the SRT rods, pistons, bearings and what not in and put my turbo on it. Since I got to come up with a new intake anyways, I just need to get the car on the road.
Just FYI, I broke a piston in the hybrid set-up when the #1 injector plug decided to loose contact with the injector while I was at about 15 pounds of boost and closing in on 5000 rpm.

TJ Schulze
12-15-2013, 07:27 PM
Thanks for that info . Did you get the e-mail I sent you about your website? I am going to be needing some parts for this job.

The intake I got from the PT is a 2 piece unit

A.J.
12-15-2013, 08:01 PM
I have an SRT-4 Neon intake with a flange welded on the intake to use the throttle body for your Daytona that I'm not using since I went with a PT intake. It's also at an angle that won't hit the transmission if you choose to use a 31TH automatic with the starter in the front like I did. I'd post pictures but Photobucket wants to suck today so you'll have to scroll on my build page to see pictures of it http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?47171-04-SRT-4-engine-in-an-88-Caravan-build/page7. What are you planing on using for electronics for your swap?

TJ Schulze
12-15-2013, 08:16 PM
I am running the SBEC with a Boost Button programmable chip and I will run the distributor off the head. What do you need for the intake? And I will be running the old school 5 speed.

A.J.
12-15-2013, 08:33 PM
I am running the SBEC with a Boost Button programmable chip and I will run the distributor off the head. What do you need for the intake? And I will be running the old school 5 speed.

I paid $100. I just want to recoup what I paid initially. Post #54 http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?47171-04-SRT-4-engine-in-an-88-Caravan-build/page3

Do you do your own tuning or do you order cals from Rob?

TJ Schulze
12-15-2013, 08:43 PM
I try to do my own tuning, at least on the hybrid I did. Not sure where to even start on the 2.4 set-up. I will have to see how it goes. Does that intake sit any farther forward the Stratus intake does? I am running a pusher fan now to get the clearance for that intake. But now I got to mount an A/C condenser up there too.

A.J.
12-15-2013, 08:50 PM
I don't know how far out from the head the Neon SRT-4 intake sits. I can measure it from the flange if you'd like.

You can do a pusher fan in front of the AC condenser if you want, you have plenty of room.

I do my own cals also but for a SMEC, not a SBEC. Once you get the SRT-4 pistons I can share what I have. It may not work that well with N/A pistons but you can try.

TJ Schulze
12-15-2013, 08:59 PM
That would help. I could measure how much room I got pretty easily. Running it non turbo for now with the stock intake I should be okay. Once I get all the pieces together than the fun will start. Christmas time was not the best time for this to happen finance wise.