PDA

View Full Version : DSM BOV troubles

Hemidare
08-29-2006, 01:34 AM
Hey guys i am wondering if the BOV should be slightly open at idle? Cause i have about 20 inches of vacuum and it is slightly open at idle and blowing a little bit of air out. And i am not building boost like i should i only hit about 7 psi. The only thing i did was clean out the little hole that leads to the diaphram of a little gasket silicone. Was that mistake or what?

DBB mini
08-29-2006, 06:32 AM
Sounds like it's working properly. You probably have the mitsu turbo. My dsm BOV does the same thing @ idle.

Coy

MiniMopar
08-29-2006, 04:22 PM
I too have been through the "three phases of the DSM BOV". First I had RTV in the port for the back of the diaphragm. The BOV held well, but it barely opened, causing stacking. Then I cleaned the port and it would open wide but would get blown open under boost because of the pressure under the diaphragm from the port. For me it blew open at 16psi at the BOV, which was like 13psi at the manifold at 5000rpm because I have the BOV installed on the lower IC hose. Finally I did Gary's mod, where you block the port and vent it out the side. Now it holds like before, but opens more. It will just barely open at idle, but opens fully when the throttle is closed at high RPM.

Unless you have the same setup as me and a really restrictive I/C, or your BOV doesn't seal well, it sounds like you have a boost leak. I would pressure test the system.

Hemidare
08-29-2006, 07:00 PM
Yeah i think i have a boost leak as well. I will check all my couplers and check them.

Hemidare
08-29-2006, 11:41 PM
I checked all of my couplings and they are fine. Do you need a check valve on the line that goes to the bov? Cause mine has one in it.

MiniMopar
08-29-2006, 11:46 PM
No, you don't want a check valve at all. It will hold the BOV open. You can use the "quick release valve" from the stock BOV setup, which properly vents the BOV when you open the throttle.

Hemidare
08-30-2006, 12:06 AM
Well it is the stock one in there but everyone else does not have one on there. So i think i will take it out.

Hemidare
08-30-2006, 12:28 AM
Ok i took out the check valve and it works fine *wipes sweat from brow* Boosts nice and fast it feels good. Thanx all of you for your suggestions.

MiniMopar
08-30-2006, 12:31 AM
No prob.