PDA

View Full Version : TIII What is best procedure/process for a TIII swap project?

ohlarikd
11-21-2013, 09:28 PM
For my next project, I am plan to swap a TIII into a Gen 1 Daytona, as per my other thread. This thread is about process.

1) I plan to completely rebuild the engine for 400+ hp. My real plan is to not do the major work myself, but to purchase a short block from a vendor who is experienced in these matters. I also would try to purchase a redone head as well.
2) These require CORE returns. But the core return is only $300. So I originally thought why bother buying a TIII for a core, just buy it outright for a little extra cash and a lot less aggravation.
3) BUT, then I realized I wouldn't have all the accessories, wiring, computers, etc. that I would need. I am pretty sure that locating all the items I would need individually would be a long a painful process.

So then - what do I do?

1) But a used TIII Spirit or IROC R/T? I could imagine taking a nice one and touching it. It would have to be on its way to the grave. But then the TIII has to be intact for a core exchange, and all the accessories would need to be there. Could be pot luck.
2) Buy a complete engine trans electronics assembly from someone here. I would have to trust the engine is complete. I also would be spending some big buck to get it, just to spend even bigger bucks getting it built. If it was intact but worn out and cheap, good. But what are the odds?

What is the suggestion here on acquiring a TIII for my swap?

THANKS!

Derek

Lotashelbys
11-22-2013, 01:28 AM
I bet I know someone that could build you a TIII that could handle 400HP with everything bolted to it that you would need......

ohlarikd
11-22-2013, 07:34 AM
Hmm, Jackson - we need to talk! I am looking at something like your perfectly restored 91 TIII Daytona, but a Gen1...

tryingbe
11-22-2013, 09:06 AM
Why not buy a 2.4 turbo long block and go from there?

ohlarikd
11-22-2013, 09:25 AM
Why not buy a 2.4 turbo long block and go from there?

Perhaps I don't know enough about that option... is that SRT4 block? I'd like to stick to the original block unless there is some compelling reason, like the original block will explode at 400+.

rx2mazda
11-22-2013, 09:42 AM
Perhaps I don't know enough about that option... is that SRT4 block? I'd like to stick to the original block unless there is some compelling reason, like the original block will explode at 400+.

Don't mind him, he "copy and paste" that sentence in every TIII swap thread. :evil: