PDA

View Full Version : intercooler connector

mr glenn
11-18-2013, 10:06 PM
Just had the scare of my life was going down 275 on my way to work started building boost got to 14 lbs heard a loud pop got out of it engine sounded fine but all of a sudden no boost drove to work checked everything out and found out it was the hose that connects to the intercooler This was the only place I used a cheap hose clamp I will never get on the car that hard again heading to work but after work on a Friday yes

shackwrrr
11-18-2013, 10:10 PM
Yeah its pretty scary. Not at scary as doing it on a customers diesel that you just did $$$$ worth of work on and they are waiting to pick it up lol.

Vigo
11-19-2013, 01:15 AM
Hopefully you were nice to it after the plumbing popped. It is possible to over-spin and damage the turbo by running the engine at high load with no charge plumbing.

turismolover22
11-19-2013, 01:11 PM
A lot of times its not the clamps fault. Yes cheap clamps arent the best, but if you have no "beading" on the charge pipes, this will aid in a connector slipping off, as there is nothi.g to grip but a smooth pipe.

You can make beading by scuffing up the end of the pipe, and adding a small "roll" of jb weld to the pipe to make a lip. Or if you have the resources, have someone run a quick amall weld across the circumfrence of the pipe.

If it already has a lip, well get you some t bolts. Good luck

wheming
11-19-2013, 11:52 PM
You can also use a bit of hairspray on the pipe before you reattach hose.
Also, just cheap worm gear clamps have been proof tested to 28psi when you double them up. ;)

zin
11-20-2013, 01:39 AM
+1 to the doubling up the clamps, be sure to put them 180* apart from each other.

Also, if you want to do it "correctly", a bead roller will do just that, roll a bead!

Mike

- - - Updated - - -

+1 to the doubling up the clamps, be sure to put them 180* apart from each other.

Also, if you want to do it "correctly", a bead roller will do just that, roll a bead!

Mike