PDA

View Full Version : Power mirror disasembly and rattle fix

player1up
10-27-2013, 10:54 AM
Does anyone have door mirrors that rattle like crazy? Mine did until this morning when I decided to take them apart :)

Terms used:
Front -- glass side of the mirror.
Back -- body side of the mirror that faces toward the front of the car.
Inside -- edge of the mirror closest to the car.
Outside -- opposite of inside lol

1. Remove the bead molding that surrounds the metal back on the mirror. It should just slip out with slight pressure from a fingernail.
2. Once the bead is removed, locate the hole at the back inside bottom corner. The hole can be used to pull outward on the metal housing, but there are tabs that hold it to the plastic surround ( 2 top and 2 bottom ). I had to squeeze up on the bottom of the back housing to get the tabs to pop free. just don't pry or you risk damaging the plastic surround.

Once the back is removed, you'll see why the mirror is rattling. On my drivers side, the "chassis" holding the power mechanism was bouncing around in the slots in the plastic surround piece. A couple dabs of black RTV in the slots cured the rattle. It'll be easy to remove if need be and it doesn't involve modification of any kind.

The passenger side is rattling for a different reason. The power mechanism itself is a little loose and the mirror mount ( the thing that the mirror is glued to that snaps into the power mech ) was a little loose. Again, a few dabs of black RTV to build a rubber buffer into the snaps and clips and all is well.

PM me for my email so I can send pics as I still can't post them.

168glhs1986
10-28-2013, 09:37 AM
Pics posted for player1up

player1up
10-30-2013, 09:44 AM
Mike, Thanks for posting the pics.

Before doing this, my mirrors were essentially useless at more than about 45mph due to the vibration.
I'm happy to say that they are now quiet and stable at speed.

The mirrors also look to be fairly easy to work on as far as motor replacement. Everything clips together and dis-assembly is pretty straight forward. Even for the age, they didn't feel too brittle inside either.

Johnny
10-30-2013, 09:51 AM
Another mirror issue:
I took my electric ones off and replaced them with hand adjustment ones.
I figured I set them for me and they stay, as no one else drives it.
BUT I had an issue on the freeway. At speed, they fold back by the wind pushing on them.
I called the company I bought them from, they said to take them off, use a blue lock-tight type fluid on the round ball socket.
I did this and it worked very well. They can still be adjusted, but so far the mirrors stay put where I set them.