PDA

View Full Version : Which 3-bar map?

Vigo
10-25-2013, 01:58 AM
Hey guys, im a big kid now and need a 3-bar map sensor for my 88 Lancer Shelby.

What's the cheapest or best way to get one? On a whim i looked up turbo 2.4 map sensors on Rockauto and they are $13 but don't look like the easiest solution.

I should already know the answer to this question, but ive actually never run a 3-bar setup!

turbodaytona87
10-25-2013, 09:05 AM
Hey guys, im a big kid now and need a 3-bar map sensor for my 88 Lancer Shelby.

What's the cheapest or best way to get one? On a whim i looked up turbo 2.4 map sensors on Rockauto and they are $13 but don't look like the easiest solution.

I should already know the answer to this question, but ive actually never run a 3-bar setup!

I used a GM 3-bar MAP. The connector has to be modified however, there are keyways in the sensor that don't match our plug. I just cut slots in my connector. I just zip tied the connector to the Daytona bracket

Vigo
10-25-2013, 12:17 PM
What car should i look up that map sensor for?

Johnny
10-25-2013, 12:21 PM
Our td venders sell them.

csxtra
10-25-2013, 12:28 PM
Beware of some of the MAP sensors on ebay, some of them use sensors that go from .5 to 5V instead of 0-5v like our computers are looking for, so the cal's will think there is less vacuum/more boost than there actually is.

I recently bought a cheapo 4-bar GM MAP sensor from Ebay ($39 for a 4-bar was too cheap to pass up), and when I tested it, it read .3v too high with the barb open to atmosphere, with the error increasing in vacuum, and diminishing as boost increased. Since I only plan on using it to test pre-intercooler pressure, it will work fine for my needs, but I wouldn't try to run my engine off of it. Brad Morris bought one also (a 3-bar), and the output voltage range on his was off (.5-5v) also.

The Omni Power 3 and 4-bar MAPs have been proven to work well (with the correct output voltage range), but they are closer to $100.

jonnymopar
10-25-2013, 12:53 PM
I used a GM 3-bar MAP. The connector has to be modified however, there are keyways in the sensor that don't match our plug. I just cut slots in my connector. I just zip tied the connector to the Daytona bracket

Absolutely spot on what I did. Still works perfect after 37k miles. I made the mistake of buying the plug, thinking that ours didn't fit. Got my MAP sensor from Cindy.

Rrider
10-25-2013, 12:59 PM
Is old stock preferable to the newly made stuff? Or does it not matter?

csxtra
10-25-2013, 01:18 PM
Is old stock preferable to the newly made stuff? Or does it not matter?

Aside from the cheap sensors mentioned above, I have never had any problems that were caused by either old or new MAP sensors, so I would say that it doesn't matter.

fixit
10-25-2013, 03:03 PM
i use the dodge caliber srt4 3 BAR MAP ~$25 from the dealership
https://www.modernperformance.com/product/Mopar_Performance_3_Bar_MAP_Sensor_03-05_Neon_SRT4/neonsrt4_engine_rebuild_sensors

Vigo
10-25-2013, 04:41 PM
I am looking at some GM 3-bar maps in the $40 range. I like the idea of the $13 SRT4 map sensors on Rockauto but it seems like if i have to buy a pigtail i'm right up there close to $40 again, and with more work?

A.J.
10-25-2013, 04:54 PM
The cheapest 3 bar map sensor is going to be for the Caliber from the dealer. You need to add a fitting on the pneumatic end (I cut threads on it with a die and then installed a brass fitting) and you'll need a plug. You can get them off an Intrepid from the junk yard or order one. I've done both. After the brass fitting and buying the plug from the dealer, the cost will be about the same as a GM sensor, but those are one time purchases. After that, if you ever have to replace the sensor it'll be cheap. I run one on my SRT-4 van and my Dad's '85 2.5 T&C wagon.

My Van:
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e301/thebest4/DSCF0244.jpg (http://s42.photobucket.com/user/thebest4/media/DSCF0244.jpg.html)

My Dad's wagon:
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e301/thebest4/DSCF0129-1.jpg (http://s42.photobucket.com/user/thebest4/media/DSCF0129-1.jpg.html)

bgbmxer
10-25-2013, 07:37 PM
The cheapest 3 bar map sensor is going to be for the Caliber from the dealer. You need to add a fitting on the pneumatic end (I cut threads on it with a die and then installed a brass fitting) and you'll need a plug. You can get them off an Intrepid from the junk yard or order one. I've done both. After the brass fitting and buying the plug from the dealer, the cost will be about the same as a GM sensor, but those are one time purchases. After that, if you ever have to replace the sensor it'll be cheap. I run one on my SRT-4 van and my Dad's '85 2.5 T&C wagon.

caliber srt just to clarify for the sensor? And the plug can be gotten off an intrepid?

cordes
10-25-2013, 07:40 PM
Get a freescale sensor and install it into a two bar case. Should be less than $20 after everything is done.

bgbmxer
10-25-2013, 08:21 PM
Never heard of it

cordes
10-25-2013, 08:23 PM
Never heard of it

They're a company that makes the tiny sensors which go into the cases for the manufacturers. It's some small soldering, but worth it IMO.

A.J.
10-25-2013, 09:06 PM
caliber srt just to clarify for the sensor? And the plug can be gotten off an intrepid?

Yes and yes. I'm sure other vehicles have that plug. I don't know what years. Your best bet is to get the sensor for an SRT Caliber, and take it with you to the junk yard so if they don't have any Intrepids you can try Chargers, 300's or mini-vans. I'm talking in the 2000's some time. They're not going to be on the late 90's cars.

wheming
10-26-2013, 08:39 AM
Let me guess...
Is this one of the crappy ones or good ones?
Purchased from amazon I think.

ShelGame
10-26-2013, 10:40 AM
Beware of some of the MAP sensors on ebay, some of them use sensors that go from .5 to 5V instead of 0-5v like our computers are looking for, so the cal's will think there is less vacuum/more boost than there actually is.

I recently bought a cheapo 4-bar GM MAP sensor from Ebay ($39 for a 4-bar was too cheap to pass up), and when I tested it, it read .3v too high with the barb open to atmosphere, with the error increasing in vacuum, and diminishing as boost increased. Since I only plan on using it to test pre-intercooler pressure, it will work fine for my needs, but I wouldn't try to run my engine off of it. Brad Morris bought one also (a 3-bar), and the output voltage range on his was off (.5-5v) also.

The Omni Power 3 and 4-bar MAPs have been proven to work well (with the correct output voltage range), but they are closer to $100.

Thanks for the detail led info, Warren.

I had a vendor that I was getting good 3BAR maps from, and then the last batch went bad. I didn't even try to figure it out (no time), I just dropped selling them until I could find a better source.

If the cheap Chinese MAPs are just shifted a little, its still possible to set a cal up for them. The transfer function just needs to be corrected.

If you have detailed MAP vs Volts measurements, I can make the transfer function...

zin
10-26-2013, 11:29 AM
Is the caliber srt sensor a true 3-bar? I was thinking they were 2.5bar, as I had heard of the Neon SRT.

Mike

- - - Updated - - -

Is the caliber srt sensor a true 3-bar? I was thinking they were 2.5bar, as I had heard of the Neon SRT.

Mike

csxtra
10-26-2013, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the detail led info, Warren.

You're welcome Rob. I first became aware of this because Brad Morris was seeing a goofy baro reading on the 3-bar map he bought from Ebay (which he returned), and when I bought my cheap 4-bar sensor, I wanted to verify that it was correct, so I tested it to see if I could use it as a spare in case my Omnipower 4-bar MAP sensor took a dump on me.

If the cheap Chinese MAPs are just shifted a little, its still possible to set a cal up for them. The transfer function just needs to be corrected.

If you have detailed MAP vs Volts measurements, I can make the transfer function...

I figured that the transfer function could be modified, and from the detailed measurements I took on my 4-bar sensor (pressure only, no vacuum), combined with the spec sheet from the Ebay vendor, it appears that their sensors put out .5v at absolute vacuum (-14.5psiG or 0 psiA) and 5V at the rated Bar pressure (29.4psiG for 3-bar and 43.5psiG for 4-bar). So it looks like the output range is compressed from 5V to 4.5V (losing about 10% resolution), and offset by +.5V.

Hope this helps,
Warren

A.J.
10-26-2013, 01:17 PM

Mike

I applied 30 psi to the SRT Caliber 3 bar map sensor and watched the voltage on my scan tool. At 29-30 psi it's around 5 volts so I would say yes.

Oh ya, and this:
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e301/thebest4/IMG_0988_zpsdefc9bfb.jpg (http://s42.photobucket.com/user/thebest4/media/IMG_0988_zpsdefc9bfb.jpg.html)

zin
10-26-2013, 02:22 PM
I guess that settles it!

I know where I'm getting my 3-bar!

Mike

- - - Updated - - -

I guess that settles it!

I know where I'm getting my 3-bar!

Mike

GLHS60
10-26-2013, 04:13 PM
Very interesting the Caliber unit works!!
The original GM 3bar map was used on the 1989 Turbo Trans Am for the boost gauge as they were MAF electronics.

Thanks
Randy

turbovanmanČ
10-26-2013, 11:53 PM
Let me guess...
Is this one of the crappy ones or good ones?
Purchased from amazon I think.

Nope, Delphi is fine.

Very interesting the Caliber unit works!!
The original GM 3bar map was used on the 1989 Turbo Trans Am for the boost gauge as they were MAF electronics.

Thanks
Randy

For the boost gauge?

GLHS60
10-27-2013, 12:29 AM
Correct!!

Thanks
Randy

iTurbo
10-27-2013, 12:36 AM
Not surprised GM would do that. Even on my '98 Buick Regal GS it is a MAF car, but uses a MAP sensor only for the boost readout in the instrument cluster.

GLHS60
10-27-2013, 02:19 AM
Not surprised GM would do that. Even on my '98 Buick Regal GS it is a MAF car, but uses a MAP sensor only for the boost readout in the instrument cluster.

I guess it was lucky for us as it was the only readily available 3 bar MAP for the Super 60 package.

Thanks
Randy

x.Gen
10-27-2013, 03:22 AM
I realized when reading the specs on the Auberin's 3-bar sensor in a thread posted a few years back, they did the same thing (sensor range isn't full, in vacuum). decided against that one based on that single fact - I would think that might affect cruise and maybe idle readings and run it a bit rich, no big deal but probably not worth the few bucks it would save.

pauly_no_van
11-01-2013, 01:14 PM
Get a freescale sensor and install it into a two bar case. Should be less than $20 after everything is done.

I made 2 3bar maps for $25

shackwrrr
11-01-2013, 08:43 PM
I have a Chinese 3 bar and if you map out the voltage it comes out to a 3.5 bar sensor.

I just picked up a caliber sensor from work, with my discount I got the sensor for 22 bucks. I think over the counter price was 26-27 bucks. The connector kit is more expensive than the sensor but I had one I cut off another harness.

TommyT
11-01-2013, 10:22 PM
Just to be sure, the 3 bar map sensor from the 89 trans am turbo will work? It will be at 0 volts at 0 psi? I found it on eBay for only $21. It has the common GM fitting. I will try to paste the link below.

http://bit.ly/1b15nkW

Vigo
11-02-2013, 05:34 PM
I just ordered an 89 turbo trans am map sensor for ~$21 shipped on ebay. We will see how much of a piece of crap it is. :p

TommyT
11-03-2013, 12:03 AM
Thanks for being the guinea pig! I was going to get one myself but I don't need to get one for quite awhile. My car is still in pieces.

cordes
11-03-2013, 10:52 PM
I made 2 3bar maps for $25

Nice work. It'll be hard for me to justify the soldering and finding spare cases given the cost of these C-srt units, but I may do some just because I'll be ordering some 4 bar units for a dual digital boost gauge I'm building.

wheming
11-04-2013, 09:07 AM
Huh.
I've got an old one I believe, maybe I'll try this.
Do they have 3.5 bar and 4 bar also?
I might need more than just 3 bar scaling if the van build goes well.

cordes
11-05-2013, 12:31 AM
Huh.
I've got an old one I believe, maybe I'll try this.
Do they have 3.5 bar and 4 bar also?
I might need more than just 3 bar scaling if the van build goes well.

I know for sure that freescale makes a 4 bar map. I know there are 3.5 bar maps out there, but I'm not positive that freescale makes one.