PDA

View Full Version : No heat??

dingles9
10-22-2013, 07:59 PM
Again guys, looking for help. My car just got running yesterday, thanks to everyone who helped me out on here! Car doesn't have heat so I called the p.o. said there's something that goes on the radiator that's vacuum controlled. Either way its missing and so are the hoses. Any help with diagrams or anything? I promise I won't ask any more dumb questions when my Haynes manual comes in haha

dingles9
10-22-2013, 07:59 PM
Btw this is on an 89 spirit turbo

looneytuner
10-23-2013, 08:57 AM
It's called the heater control valve and is available at dealer. The vac line goes to the temp control in the dash. The vac line should be sticking through the firewall above the turbo with the heater hose nipples..The other vac line at the firewall is the supply line.

The bad news is that was probably bypassed because of a heater core leak. If the rad is a replacement, that indicates the heat is bad. No way to know till you hook up the hoses.

contraption22
10-23-2013, 09:01 AM
Rock auto has the part through 4 Seasons. Part number 74863 $16

dingles9
10-23-2013, 10:05 AM
Awesome. Thanks guys

turismolover22
10-23-2013, 10:40 AM
You dont need to purchase a new bypass if you dont have a/c. It houses a small flapper, that when the a/c is on diverts the hot water past the heater core, to reduce the cooling load on the a/c pump.

turbovanmanČ
10-23-2013, 02:28 PM
What he said, its not needed.

If you have no heat then check the heater hoses, the inlet should be hot, the outlet slightly cooler, if they are both luke warm with a hot engine, then its plugged. I would blow it out, fill up with CLR, let it sit for an hour and reverse flush it. I did this on my van for 9 years BUT be warned, it can cause a leak if the core has a weak area.

dingles9
10-27-2013, 06:50 PM
Replaced heater control valve, thermostat, and still no heat. I don't have water going into the heater hoses that run into the firewall

cordes
10-27-2013, 07:46 PM
Water is coming out of the outlet near the upper rad hose correct?

dingles9
10-27-2013, 09:35 PM
Water is coming out of the outlet near the upper rad hose correct?

Yes sir

dingles9
10-27-2013, 09:38 PM
Update. Little heat here and there. So I doubt its a heater core. Could it be water pump or clogged line?

cordes
10-27-2013, 09:54 PM
Is the line that comes off of the water box hot?

dingles9
10-28-2013, 05:23 AM
Is the line that comes off of the water box hot?

Heater core? No

cordes
10-28-2013, 06:19 PM
Heater core? No

Most likely.

dingles9
10-29-2013, 10:07 AM
I don't have heat going to the firewall though. I have hot water going into the control valve but not past it. I've manually opened and closed the valve too with no differences in temp

tryingbe
10-29-2013, 10:09 AM
Sounds like the heater core is plugged.

looneytuner
10-29-2013, 11:28 AM
If you are young an flexible, you don't have to pull the dash and seats. The passenger seat removal makes it more comfortable. Make that less painful. There are 4 bolts with sheet metal nuts at the heat shield to remove, The heat hoses and 2 vac lines by the hoses. Write down where they go. 1 is white, one black. Disconnect the a/c lines at the firewall, start removing everything under dash on passenger side. Be glad it's not a TC by Masi. That is rated at 8.2 hours to remove and they are lying. You will NEVER neglect changing your antifreeze again when done.

dingles9
10-29-2013, 05:48 PM
If you are young an flexible, you don't have to pull the dash and seats. The passenger seat removal makes it more comfortable. Make that less painful. There are 4 bolts with sheet metal nuts at the heat shield to remove, The heat hoses and 2 vac lines by the hoses. Write down where they go. 1 is white, one black. Disconnect the a/c lines at the firewall, start removing everything under dash on passenger side. Be glad it's not a TC by Masi. That is rated at 8.2 hours to remove and they are lying. You will NEVER neglect changing your antifreeze again when done.

Sounds like fun. I'll give it a shot. Thanks

pauly_no_van
10-30-2013, 04:11 PM
Sounds like the heater core is plugged.

Before you go tearing into your dash.....

every time I do a hg [usually when i get a new td], i put a cut washing machine hose into the heater core pipes themselves. Other end gets attached to a garden hose. push water only through one side, then the otherside.
Do that til the water comes out clearly.
I have broken most of those plastic diverter valves taking them off, so a new one will probably not be an issue.
Also make sure the 2 small lines coming out over the ac core are not cut/mixed/altered, it wont work right if those are backwards. One is usually grey and the other black. The grey one is the coolant diverter can line.