PDA

View Full Version : Consulier Third Brake light wire help needed

Johnny
10-20-2013, 10:32 PM
My third brake light is in the targa bar. It has not worked so I changed the bulbs.
The old ones looked good but just in case, I changed them. Did not help.
SO, I tracked the wires (green and a black), found they had NEVER ever been attached
to anything. They were coiled behind the driver seat carpet.

I threaded them toward the front where they should attach to the wires that go to the brake light switch.
NOW the issue....
What wires do I connect them to? No idea what to connect them to.
Do you happen to know or can you see yours?
It would be right in front of the drivers door.

5DIGITS
10-21-2013, 07:28 AM
John,
Are the rear brake light sockets easily accessible?
If so, determine the feed for the 'common' brake feed and note the wire color and tracer (if equipped).
Locate the same wire up front and confirm with a VM or test light, while pressing the brake.

Note:
It may be that the brake lights are switched on the ground side and the supply remains 'hot'.
If this is the case, you'll fuse the light bar feed based on the number of lights and connect the other side to the wire feeding the rear lights.

I hope this helps.

Johnny
10-21-2013, 07:54 AM
I does, thank you.
I was wondering what wires to even look for. The brake lights, taking them out and looking.
So obvious, but I never thought of it.

Thanks!

5DIGITS
10-21-2013, 12:20 PM
I does, thank you.
I was wondering what wires to even look for. The brake lights, taking them out and looking.
So obvious, but I never thought of it.

Thanks!

Anytime John and love the banner :thumb:

shackwrrr
10-21-2013, 12:28 PM
Depending on how the rear lights are, if the turn signals use the same wire as the brake lights you wont be able to hook them up back there or it will flash with whatever side you hook it to. If its set up that way then you will need to hook up the CHMSL to the feed from the brake switch before it goes to the turn signal switch.

Johnny
10-21-2013, 12:40 PM
The brake light switch has 7 wires coming out of it.

shackwrrr
10-21-2013, 12:58 PM
Try to trace out which one goes up the steering column to the turn signal switch.

Johnny
10-21-2013, 09:17 PM
The yellow wire going to the rear brake light is the turn signal wire AND the stop light wire.
so that did not work out.
but did probe the wires at the brake light switch. The very first one I tried was the correct one.
it is a white wire.
went to get some shrink wrap, will finish it up tomorrow.

Johnny
10-22-2013, 01:32 PM
Finished. Third brake light now works.