PDA

View Full Version : TIII Code 21, High idle

Sethyboy85
10-12-2013, 08:11 PM
91 Spirit RT

So I brought this car from PA to TX 2 wks ago and went to go replace a stud so I could then get it inspected and start the paperwork on tagging it.
On way back from friends place (apartment complex frown on working on cars in parking lot) I went WOT and then noticed the car was pulling without my foot on gas.
I had this exact issue before I drove it and replaced the 02 sensor cause I was getting 21,22 and something else all related to it.

I pull in and clear code 21 after making sure the wire hadn't rubbed through or anything on my journey and then started the car to find it idling at 4k, I let it sit there for about 15 seconds to make sure it wasn't going to drop and shut the car off.

Disconnected the battery for several hours and just now I went and started the car and it was idling at 2.5k I got it to drop to 1.6k but couldn't get it to drop any lower and no fault codes I let the car run for a full 5-8 minutes.

SO I am stumped, I am thinking of redoing the wires on the 02 as the one I have in the car appears to be reading correctly (otc 4000)
I see no oil in the IC tubing and the plugs look fine/dry and im pretty sure my VC leaks or it's the bolt under the head ive read about but that doesn't have anything to do with this.

I need the car to act normal so I can drive it to get inspected/smog and they won't pass it if low idle is 1.6k not to mention who wants to drive a car around that rev's that high.

Sethyboy85
10-13-2013, 05:11 PM
Figured it out, the plastic cable covers between bracket and throttle body had slid off and were keeping the throttle open that's why the idle wouldn't drop below 1.6k.

I got code 21 again and moved the 02 wire's cleared it and it was fine. So I need to find a new pigtail and cut out the existing wire and replace.