PDA

View Full Version : Ghetto 1/4 mile mods

jonnymopar
10-09-2013, 06:59 PM
**puts on flame suit even though this forum isn't really like that**

I think I've gathered enough testicular fortitude to try running my Daytona in the quarter again. There have been MANY upgrades since I last ran it in 2008. I'm trying to think of things to squeeze every bit of time out of it without going too crazy. Here's what I've got:

-Remove rear seats
-Remove passenger front seat
-Remove console
-1/4 tank of gas
-Remove spare tire & jack
-Donuts on the rear
-Bags of ice strapped to the intercooler
-Don't miss gears

It's still a T-top Daytona, so it's a fat pig no matter what I do. I have no access to slicks, so that's out of the question. I'll be running it on the stickiest street tires I own. Any other ideas?

supercrackerbox
10-10-2013, 01:05 PM
Will donuts on the rear pass tech?

A.J.
10-10-2013, 01:59 PM
Will donuts on the rear pass tech?

I doubt it. Just air the backs up A LOT.

Rrider
10-10-2013, 02:04 PM
I hear ghetto suspension mods can help the 60ft a lot. Wedge the springs/bars to balance your traction left to right. Maybe fit a set of air shocks in the back to pump up for drag launches, then air out for daily use. I see some of those air shocks on sale for 50 a pair. The launch is the easiest place to pick up ET.

The ACR neon alloy spare or 2001 PT cruiser alloy spares can be had cheap if you can find them. I've found both types and they are 8 to 10 pound wheels. Ugly but lighter than a lot of the high dollar drag wheels. Also Imperial full width alloy wheels are 12 pounds.

ShadowFromHell
10-10-2013, 03:35 PM
The best cheap mod? SEAT TIME! I dont know how much drag racing you have done but "driver mod" is a huge help when racing a FWD stick car.

tryingbe
10-10-2013, 07:19 PM
Put 3 gal race gas in. Then turn up the boost to what your injectors support maximum.

jonnymopar
10-11-2013, 11:55 AM
Thanks folks. The launch is probably what's going to hurt me the most. I agree with the seat time comment. I haven't ran in years. This would just be a "street night" appearance before the end of the season up here. The greatest thing about those nights is no matter how bad you do, someone will always be there to embarass themselves way worse.

As far as cranking up the boost, I'm at 18psi on a stock SRT-4 turbo bolted to a 2.4L, and I'm using SRT Stage 1 injectors, which are pretty close to +40's. Already, that tiny little turbo is huffing way past where it's comfortable. Even with race gas and icing the intercooler, would I really see any gains by upping it to 20? 22? 25? I know my wastegate actuator will definitely be up to the task, but I dunno about everything else.

MILKCARTON
10-12-2013, 07:27 PM
put an 8 valve and an auto in it........

ShadowFromHell
10-12-2013, 09:26 PM
Most of my SRT buddies seem to stop at 20psi. Not sure why, but thats what they are all running. With a good intercooler they are making good power up there.

shadow88
10-13-2013, 05:09 AM
After 20 psi, I think the stock turbo is just incapable of putting out more on a high revving engine or a 2.4L.

On the note you were looking for some cheap speed....Consider nitrous. You would be amazed how much difference a small jet (50hp) will make a difference.

In my experience 50 hp jets pick up over 50 hp at the wheels. and it'll easily last all weekend on a 10 pound bottle. Pm Zin, he'll set you up.

ShadowFromHell
10-13-2013, 05:24 PM
But they are still making good power there. Yes, its out of range and goes against what any turbo "guru" is going to tell you, but in the real world it works.

shadow88
10-13-2013, 09:54 PM
They make larger torque peaks, but can't carry that level into the higher rpms. Don't get me wrong, I like overspinning small responsive turbos, but there comes a time to upgrade.