PDA

View Full Version : An observation on Victor Reinz valve cover gaskets

supercrackerbox
10-09-2013, 12:34 PM
In addition to all the other issues I've been finding during the trans swap in my Daytona, I addressed the badly leaking valve cover gasket last night. The faulty gasket was a Victor Reinz one-piece that was included in the rebuild kit from Rock Auto, so I'm guessing I'm not the only one using one of these. With 45,000 miles on the engine, the gasket had become slightly shrunken, and very hard and brittle. Now I realize that most of us don't go that many miles without pulling the valve cover for one reason or another, but for those planning on getting that rebuild kit or even just the gasket, get something other than the VR gasket.

Beyond that, I do like the rebuild kits from Rock Auto.

contraption22
10-09-2013, 01:56 PM
I always have really good luck with the blue FelPro ones.

zin
10-09-2013, 08:46 PM
Ditto on the blue FP, though I've had some issue with them "pinching", they don't seem to "dry up" or get hard over time (so far).

Mike

supercrackerbox
10-10-2013, 04:27 AM
A FelPro is what is in there now.

shackwrrr
10-10-2013, 06:39 AM
OEM all the way, 3$ more than the blue felpro. The felpro is too loose and always falls out when trying to install the cover.

contraption22
10-10-2013, 10:45 AM
OEM all the way, 3$ more than the blue felpro. The felpro is too loose and always falls out when trying to install the cover.

I glue into the valve cover with just a film of rtv in the channels over the cam seals and let it dry for a while before placing it on the head.

jeff1234
10-12-2013, 07:51 AM
I presently have a Victor Reinz in mine and have had good luck with this particular one. Better than the FelPro IMO. FelPro is too loose. I have bought some parts from Rock auto, including a new radiator. I cools fine but has fewer fins than the original stock one and doesn't have the feel of quality that one from the OEM does. The mounting pin brackets are bolted on rather than permanently attached. I also bought some rear hatch cylinders that were on clearance at Rock. They were designated for an application with spoiler, in a word, they are CRAP. They don't hold up the hatch any better than the ones I had in there.

supercrackerbox
10-12-2013, 11:32 AM
Interesting. How many miles do you have on the gasket? When I first installed mine, I had a lot of hope, as the fitment was just as good as a Mopar one I'd had years ago. I had to use a few strategically placed dabs of RTV to hold the Felpro in place.

Tell me more about this radiator? Is it an aluminum or copper core? It sounds like the one I have in my Charger, and the bolt in brackets were very useful when it came to relocating it to clear my intercooler tubing. But it's getting up there in age, and the local stores don't carry that anymore.

As for the struts, I have Rock Auto ones in both my cars, and they've held up for years. I don't remember the brand of the ones in the Charger, but the ones in the Daytona are Monroe.

jeff1234
10-13-2013, 08:54 AM
This is my first and only Victor Reinz gasket. I installed it and it leaked so I took it out and disgustedly threw it in another valve cover in the garage. I installed a FelPro and when that one leaked I took a closer look at the valve cover and discovered that there was black RTV in places in the groove. These gaskets aren't designed to be used with RTV sealants. I was tired of buying V/C gaskets so I tried the Victor Reinz in a cover that had a clean gasket groove. I have been using it since without leakage. It has been in position for about a year. The Victor seems to have a harder durometer finish and I guess as a result it may not have as good of a memory over time and thermal cycles. I always handle the V/C so that it doesn't fall out. If it does, the fun begins! LOL
The radiator is made from brass, at least the inlet and outlet connectors are and so I assume the cans would be similar. I am not sure about the fins and tubes but they are not aluminum. It costs an arm and a leg for us to have our stockers re-cored so I went cheapo. You get what you pay for.