PDA

View Full Version : Sealed Power E-453k piston rings

iTurbo
10-06-2013, 07:26 PM
I'm in the middle of installing a set of Sealed Power E-453K rings on a set of new Sealed Power G-head turbo pistons. Both pistons and rings are +.75mm. This is for an '85 Turbo I motor that I'm rebuilding.

First I'm installing the oil expander and top/bottom rails. I think I have them installed correctly and the painted ends of the expander seemed to be butted up together correctly. However there are no markings on the top or bottom rails denoting which side is 'up'. The top and bottom rails also seem to be riding on the inside edge of the expander. There simply isn't room in the oil control groove of the piston for all three rings to fit all the way inside of the groove.

Then there are the compression rings. One set has a pink painted edge near gap and a dot to denote the 'up' side. The other set has no paint, no dot or other marking to denote 'up' and also do not appear to have any bevel on the side profile.

As far as the oil control rings, does this sound normal? Is there any difference between top and bottom rail? Do the rails have an 'up' side?

As far as the compression rings, which is the 1st 'top' ring and which is the 2nd 'bottom' ring? On the set that has no paint, 'dot' marking, or bevel, does it not matter which way they are installed?

- - - Updated - - -

I found a set of standard size, Sealed Power E-453K rings in my parts stash. Interestingly, I noticed that one of the compression rings has 'bright' white on one edge near the ring gap and red on the other edge. The other compression ring has 'off white' painted on one edge near the ring gap and no paint on the other edge. The oil control rails had the 'off white' paint on them as well.

It seems to me that Sealed Power uses different colors of paint to denote ring sizes...

So far I have been able to determine....

E453K standard size
1st ring: red/bright white (.160" wide)
2nd ring: off white (.160" wide)
oil rails: off white
oil expander: brown/yellow (no paint at opposite side of gap)

E453K .75mm (.030")
1st ring: no paint (.130" wide)
2nd ring: pink (.160" wide)
oil rails: pink
oil expander: red/green (orange paint opposite side of gap)

Talk about frustrating!!! I'm going to buy another set of E-453K tomorrow at NAPA just to determine if I got a bad set and see if the colors are the same..

bamman
10-06-2013, 11:49 PM
For the orientation of the oil control rings, there may not be any preference as to what is top or what is bottom. According to the instructions that came with my Wiseco pistons, if there are no marks on the oil control rings, then there is no preference as to its orientation.

As for which ring is first or second, I ran into the same problem. Then I realized they were both different thicknesses, and the thick ring only fits in one groove. I think the thick ring is second.

I think on the set that has no paint, 'dot' marking, or bevel, it doesn't matter which way they are installed, or at least that is what my instructions said.

iTurbo
10-08-2013, 02:51 AM
I ordered another set of +.75 Sealed Power E-453K rings today. I have another .030" overbore TII block ready to build that I need them for anyway. I'll be sure to check the 'color coding' on this next set when they arrive. I have a hunch they'll be pink.

I assembled the TI shortblock today with the aforementioned rings I was having questions about in post #1. Everything went super smooth. By looking at other piston/ring sets I have, I was able to determine which rings belonged in which ring grooves. As far as the oil control rings, I feel good that I assembled them correctly. This TI shortblock is only the 2nd engine I've ever built....the first being a TIII which used the E-640K rings. The E-640K rings are different all around including the design of the oil control rings and expander. Since I was new to using the E-453K rings (TI,TII etc.), I was unfamiliar with them.

Suffice to say I made sure and checked the ring gaps per the FSM, even the oil control rings! Everything was spot on within spec. Between the tolerances that these rings are made to and the finish hone that the machine shop did, I'm simply amazed at how consistent the ring gaps were for every bore. Practically identical +/- .002. Had no trouble at all compressing the rings with the ring compressor, after double checking to make sure the expander ends were butted together correctly and all rings were clocked per FSM.

jl93sundance
10-09-2013, 03:20 PM
I'm going to be re ringing my car with these rings, the second ring down has a beveled edge, does the beveled edge face up or down? No instructions came with my rings at all.

iTurbo
10-09-2013, 03:46 PM
The directions that came with mine say "Install all UNMARKED beveled rings with the bevel toward top".

I just picked up another set of the +.75mm Sealed Power E-453K rings today at NAPA. They are painted just like the 1st set of .75mm rings I got.

jeff1234
10-13-2013, 09:13 AM
Based on my experience at engine building, a ring is beveled so that when viewed in cross section, the edge that touches the cylinder wall will have two different outside diameter measurements because the ring is tapered. I have always installed the compression rings with the larger diameter on the bottom. If installed in the reverse, oil splashed on the cylinder wall would be forced upward into the combustion chamber. If anyone has information to the contrary I would like to know it. Thanks!