PDA

View Full Version : What grit Ball Hone?

GLHS-024
09-30-2013, 05:41 PM
I've got a spare T II block I'd like to clean up and drop in the Charger with a rod shifted 555 and new clutch. I'm looking at 3 1/2" flex-Hones but not sure what grit to purchase. Haven't decided on rings yet Sealed Power or Hastings.

I'd like to hear what grit ball hone with what rings everyone has been getting good results from?

Thanks,

zin
09-30-2013, 07:28 PM
Since it's really just a "glaze breaker", and you're not going to remove much material, you'd want to use the grit prescribed by the ring manufacture for the rings you'll be using.

Be mindful of the cross-hatch angle you'll be imparting as it will determine how/if the rings seat and oil consumption. 45* is about right, much more and the oil drains too quick, too little and it'll "pump" past the rings into the chamber.

As usual, it's better to have it rigid honed and file fit the rings, but if that's not in the cards, it's not in the cards!

Mike

PS Looks like 400-600 grit is the ticket, for moly rings anyway...

GLHS-024
10-01-2013, 04:46 PM
Thanks Mike!
Im still on the fence with what direction I'm wanting to go with the block. Trying to keep it simple. Needing a clutch has already snowballed to this ;-)

zin
10-01-2013, 04:55 PM
If it still has cross-hatch, and has good compression, I'd be inclined to run it as-is. You risk not having the new rings seal and possibly oil consumption problems (if the cross-hatch isn't done right).

Better to re-build it with a proper/rigid hone job if you're going to spend money... But, I understand the desire to "make it better" than it was.

Good luck!

Mike

ShadowFromHell
10-01-2013, 05:16 PM
I would change the rod bearings before I would worry about the rings personally.

GLHS-024
10-02-2013, 06:53 AM
I would change the rod bearings before I would worry about the rings personally.

Yeah bearings would be done :thumb: I've just never used a flex hone. I'll have the engine on a stand soon, if I see something I need a machine shop for I'll probably hold off on this block for now. But since its down I'd like to pull the TI block for a TII.

Ondonti
10-03-2013, 09:58 AM
Check out the oil ring drain holes.