PDA

View Full Version : Best cam?

Syd1970
09-29-2013, 07:41 PM
Ok here is what I have ,and I was wondering what my best cam choice is. 2.5 8v with a 782 head ,stock valves, beehive springs ported and polished head ,intake and exhaust. A .84 cometic head gasket. Throttle body from a 3.8 I think its 58m. GT30 R turbo with a 3" v ban downpipe I'm thinking the F4 cam from FWD. Any ideals guys?

shadow88
09-29-2013, 08:51 PM
How does it drive with that combo on it now?

Syd1970
09-29-2013, 09:54 PM
Well I only have the boost set to 13psi. And she feels a little soft from the line ,but at 3000 rpm she sets you back in the seat good. So I'm thinking a cam that kicks in hard at 3000 to 6500 would work better. ones I get the fuel injectors and good tune I going to run 18 to 22 psi. I'm thinking 95pound injectors, and boost button for pcm and tune.

GLHNSLHT2
09-30-2013, 02:54 PM
1 piece intake?

zin
09-30-2013, 08:08 PM
I'll throw my .02 out there...

IF the other "points of constipation", as I like to call them, have been addressed, and assuming the intake isn't the God-awful stock one piece, which is to say the inlet has been fixed and possibly the runners "squared away", then the cam is definitely going to be the place to "free up" things.

I think the F4 would be a good place to start. It may not be perfect, but given the other mods, the cam will give the biggest gains and it seems idle quality can be quite good.

Here's the kicker though... getting all these good pieces to work together is going to require a custom calibration, or at least of copy of someone's similar set-up in order to really get close to the potential.

Sounds like the cam is the last piece of the puzzle, aside from the tune/cal. You might want check out Shadow's thread to hear/read some comments about this cam, etc: http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?42945-Charger-LOVES-the-F4-Cam!&highlight=cams also: http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?54359-The-Chargers-quest-for-9-s&highlight=cams

Best of luck!

Mike

Syd1970
10-01-2013, 12:37 AM
Thinks for the links. and ya its still the god awful 1 piece intake, but yes the inlet has been port matched to a 58m TB. And for the runners a far as I know its just port matched to the gasket.

zin
10-01-2013, 12:54 AM
Ditch the one piece, or weld the neck off of a 3.8 onto it, the real restriction is there. The runners can use some attention too, but until you fix the neck, you'll still have one of the biggest restrictions these engines have.

I'm not on a real computer right now, if I were, I'd provide the link to a very good thread about modifying the one piece. I can't remember who did it right now, but try looking at shadow88 and boostgeek's posts, with intake as a keyword and it should come up.

Mike

- - - Updated - - -

Ditch the one piece, or weld the neck off of a 3.8 onto it, the real restriction is there. The runners can use some attention too, but until you fix the neck, you'll still have one of the biggest restrictions these engines have.

I'm not on a real computer right now, if I were, I'd provide the link to a very good thread about modifying the one piece. I can't remember who did it right now, but try looking at shadow88 and boostgeek's posts, with intake as a keyword and it should come up.

Mike

Syd1970
10-01-2013, 12:04 PM
Ok Cool thinks,.

GLHNSLHT2
10-02-2013, 09:11 PM
as Zin stated the 1 piece either needs heavy mods or get rid of it. The throat is smaller in area than a stock 46mm TB. So bolting a huge TB on it does nothing. It's the whole cause of the car feeling soft below 3grand. Build a good intake and the car will wake up a ton on the bottom end.

86Shelby
10-03-2013, 03:23 PM
Forcedfedmopar (don't forget the 'd' in forced) did an excellent job on modifying a 1 piece intake; big V6 turn behind the throttle body, shortened runners and larger plenum. It looks like a factory piece to the untrained eye until you look at the backside. I think there are some photos in his build thread for his GLH-T.