PDA

View Full Version : Gasket matching a G head

markus
09-29-2013, 01:03 PM
I decided to gasket match my head and my manifolds and match my turbo to exhaust manifold while my head was off. Using the felpro intake/exhaust gasket, the intake opening are WAY bigger than the head ports, especially on the bottom side. Obviously, I can't remove all the material on the bottom of the port to match the gasket, especially on the intake manifold (t2 one piece), as it would cut through the flange. My question to you guys who have done this is, did you just match the sides and top of the intake port and leave the bottom of the runner alone, or did you cut some of the bottom out too? I haven't cut on the bottom of the runners yet other than to clean them up and I'm thinking I'll stop there. I would add a pic if I had a way to other than an iPhone, but I figure if someone has done this, you know exactly what I'm talking about.

85boostbox
09-29-2013, 01:29 PM
If you port matched the bottom of all the runners including the head, might as well throw everything away and start over. Porting the bottom of the runner's actually hurts flow majorly.

83scamp
09-30-2013, 08:09 AM
If you port matched the bottom of all the runners including the head, might as well throw everything away and start over. Porting the bottom of the runner's actually hurts flow majorly.

+1 Do not touch the bottom! Chrysler spent a lot of time getting the short side radius correct to keep port velocity up. Clean it up, but don't modify it. When I did my head, I concentrated onthe sides & top. I'm very happy with my results.

markus
09-30-2013, 09:58 AM
Thanks for the input guys. I had stopped after I had cleaned up the bottom and polished it a bit. Seemed like a lot of material to cut out and the bottom of the ports matched anyway.