PDA

View Full Version : MPScanDroid

Pages : [1] 2

wowzer
09-27-2013, 05:02 PM
This will be the main thread i'm going to use for the version of mpscan for android called mpscandroid.

here is the link to download MPScandroid. Subsequent updates will typically be done automatically via the program's auto update feature.

MPScandroid
(http://gofile.me/5bycC/TEUIsJ0ag)
some phones will not download an apk file directly. so i renamed the file to MPScandroid.apkext. after you download it you need to rename it back to MPScandroid.apk. then you should be able to install it and subsequent auto updates should work (you may need to give the autoupdater permission).

latest version: 2.0.1.9 (as of 7/25/2020)

This is the newest version of mpscandroid that supports the new mpscilink device via bluetooth. (usb access is no longer supported). additionally, it supports reading/flashing/editing a binary file via the mpscilink device.

once installed please update all the csv layout files under the miscellaneous menu.

the first thing you need to do is create a "layout" file. basically add a gauge and select the ram location. generally it is very similar to the way you do it in the windows version. in fact, the .mpc files can be interchanged between the windows version and android version if you prefer to do it that way. once you add a gauge you can touch the gauge which will give you additional options such as sizing, moving, display changes, etc. the layout can be bigger than the screen display and can be scrolled by touching an unused portion of the screen and dragging it.

next you need to create a vehicle profile. all this does is create a link between the layout file you just created with a unique name. you also specify what type of ecu this profile is for. so if your layout is simple enough (i.e. uses ram locations that are common in multiple ecu types) you could create multiple profiles with the same layout file and just select different ecu types. quick and easy.

once the vehicle profile is setup you are ready to log. once you get into the logging screen select the profile you want to use. then you need to connect to the ecu by pressing the ECU button. it should turn green once connected. the just press the logging button right next to it to start logging. when done press the logging stop button and disconnect from the ecu. before exiting the screen make sure you save the log so you can play it back later. log files are saved with the name format of year_month_day_hour_minute_second.mpl.

once you save a log file you can play it back. additionally you can copy it to your pc and play it back using the windows version.

shackwrrr
09-27-2013, 10:02 PM
Subbed and access request sent.

wowzer
09-28-2013, 11:48 PM
you're not able to get to the site?

iangoround
09-29-2013, 12:44 AM
How would one go about making it talk to an LM-equipped car? Could I create the files in the windows version and move them over?

I don't have my car available to test this out at the moment, but the app starts and runs on my Asus TF700 so that's a start.

shackwrrr
09-29-2013, 08:13 AM
you're not able to get to the site?

I tried downloading it and it said I had to ask for permission first

shackwrrr
09-29-2013, 08:14 AM
I tried downloading it and it said I had to ask for permission first

Never mind, I was clicking on the version number instead of the download arrow.

wowzer
09-29-2013, 10:40 AM
How would one go about making it talk to an LM-equipped car? Could I create the files in the windows version and move them over?

I don't have my car available to test this out at the moment, but the app starts and runs on my Asus TF700 so that's a start.

Rob Lloyd is working on updating the cross reference table that relates the "ram location definition" to the specific ecu ram location. if you know the specific locations already with their corresponding name then you could enter the address yourself in the cross reference table. I'ld wait until rob finishes it for you:D.

i still need to work out some of the problems that happen when you switch orientations.

wowzer
11-18-2013, 11:30 AM
just an update - pretty close to releasing a production version. spent some time adding the auto updater program. i'm not going to use the google play store at this point but just update like the regular mpscan program does. the only thing i really need to work on yet is trying to get a better and more reliable connection. for some reason it periodically gets a bad sample, which messes up the min/max values that can be tracked. need to hook up my saleae logic analyzer and see if i can ID a problem. don't know if it is just an inherent problem in our ecu's or not.

the beta version is now posted if anybody wants to give it a look. may need to uninstall the previous version first if you ever had installed it.

wheming
11-18-2013, 11:57 AM
Sweet!
And thank you for all your efforts!
Will be nice to have another means to datalog.

wowzer
11-18-2013, 12:00 PM
also, i need to update the windows version to work like the android version. then you will be able to move config files back and forth between the two. hopefully in the next month or two that will be done. you now can move log files back and forth, although the gauges may not display exactly the same but should be fairly close.

wowzer
12-18-2013, 12:31 AM
released version 1.0.0.0 -

minigts
12-19-2013, 01:46 AM
Thank you for putting in the effort to port this application to Android. I have long waited for this time. Now to get a tablet integrated into my center console!

TJ Schulze
12-22-2013, 08:21 PM
I assume the readings i am logging are more aaccurate than my gauges are. My temp gauge reads about a third up and my logging is showing about 202 degrees. Also, is there a way to log A/F? I set up the gauge for it, but i go to log the gauge is not on the screen. everything else seems to work right and shows up.

Thanks for this. Its so much easier using my tablet rather than my laptop.

Troy

wowzer
12-22-2013, 10:52 PM
the afr does NOT work. never could figure out how to get the data to compute correctly using the injector pulsewidth and another table (i forget). some have used an unused port (charge temp sensor?) to hook in their wide band directly and log that 0 to 5 volt signal. what android device are you using? i'ld like to see a log if you want to post it up. especially since its a new version i'ld like to see what the returned data looks like for you on a running system vs my smecstim.

shackwrrr
12-22-2013, 11:39 PM
Robs new code has the option to put the wideband 0-5v signal strait into the factory narrowband input and then the computer just converts the signal itself. You can then use the O2 volt display as your wideband input. This is the way mine is set up and it works great.

That does bring up a question I have though, how would I go about changing the O2 volt display to read the 0-5v signal as an AFR reading in MPscan or MPscandroid?

TJ Schulze
12-23-2013, 12:59 AM
I am using this on my Asus Transformer running Android 4.2.

This is the link to the file you want Wowzer.

https://www.nortonzone.com/pickup/93912?key=hCQbEQQWVUS8SMEJ4w2fw3Q0D7K1MbPLb_VbZz6x 2dIQB28YtsYQ9bE7Cz8_kz5d&src=url

Let me know if you need more or if there are specific gauges you would like to check.
I do have my boost disconnected because of a bad piston.
Troy

wowzer
12-23-2013, 11:09 AM
Robs new code has the option to put the wideband 0-5v signal strait into the factory narrowband input and then the computer just converts the signal itself. You can then use the O2 volt display as your wideband input. This is the way mine is set up and it works great.

That does bring up a question I have though, how would I go about changing the O2 volt display to read the 0-5v signal as an AFR reading in MPscan or MPscandroid?

i think what you should try is go to settings / layout files / gauge settings and scroll down to the o2 sensor volts line. then change your ecu min to the afr value represented by your wideband controller at 0 volts (e.g. 9.0 afr or .6 lambda or whatever) and the ecu max to the afr value represented at 5 volts. also should probably change the units to "AFR" or "Lambda" as well as making the display min be 10 and the display max be 18 or so (assuming afr vs lambda). i'll try to test it also this week to see if that works.

wowzer
12-23-2013, 11:58 AM
I am using this on my Asus Transformer running Android 4.2.

This is the link to the file you want Wowzer.

https://www.nortonzone.com/pickup/93912?key=hCQbEQQWVUS8SMEJ4w2fw3Q0D7K1MbPLb_VbZz6x 2dIQB28YtsYQ9bE7Cz8_kz5d&src=url

Let me know if you need more or if there are specific gauges you would like to check.
I do have my boost disconnected because of a bad piston.
Troy

thanks alot. looks really good. the throughput that was recorded was fantastic. almost as fast as the windows version. there were a few bad read errors (40) but out of 4080 total samples that's not too bad. if it gets to be a problem you can increase the setting to slow it down a bit. i tried it both on my s4 and my pc and displayed great. thanks for the feedback. let me know if it locks up on you anyplace or something doesn't look or work right. did you set up the gauges in the windows or android version?

TJ Schulze
12-23-2013, 05:15 PM
I setup everything with the android version. It is so simple to do, I am impressed. I like it much better than the windows version, but thats just me.
So far it has worked flawlessly for me. It has been awhile since i used the windows version, but is that the same as the droid version in that you have to have the key on and the car not running to connect to the ECU?
BTW, this is on an SBEC. Don't know if that would matter at all to anyone.

wowzer
12-31-2013, 08:23 PM
Don't know if this is appropriate but it may be worthwhile to make this a stickey now that it has been officially released. Just saying.....

ShelGame
12-31-2013, 08:45 PM
2nd that...

Reaper1
01-06-2014, 07:41 PM
Subbed to read and try to learn something...

HSKR
01-06-2014, 10:34 PM
I'm new to this so don't mind the newb question, but how would one go about hooking up to the ECU to get this info? They don't come from the factory with e USB connection do they?

wowzer
01-06-2014, 11:59 PM
basically need an ftdi cable with the tx,rx and ground hooked to the cars diagnostic connector. probably need an otg cable for your phone/tablet. get with rob lloyd - he can set you up with a boostbutton cable, etc. So diagnostic port -> ftdi cable -> otg cable -> tablet/phone. fire up the app, define your layouts and vehicle profiles and start logging!

jayspartanburg
02-03-2014, 03:42 PM
How do I create a layout? When i click on it, it doesn't give me any options!
Edit: never mind, it took a few but it's giving me options now :)

wallace
02-04-2014, 02:49 PM
Hi, I got a small tablet for Xmas. It's a Samsung not sure of the model but. How do I tell if this has enough power to run mpscan?

shackwrrr
02-04-2014, 05:08 PM
If It's a Samsung you will be ok. Processor speed doesn't mean as much with these tablets and phones as it does with computers, The limitation with cheap tablets is the low resolution display. Some of the $50 tablets only have an 800x480 screen where most any name brand tablet has a 720p or better screen.

ShelGame
02-04-2014, 11:06 PM
Hi, I got a small tablet for Xmas. It's a Samsung not sure of the model but. How do I tell if this has enough power to run mpscan?

Just make sure it supports USB OTG (On-The-Go). If it has Android 4 or greater, chances are it does. My old phone originally came with Android 2.3 and didn't support USB OTG. But, I installed a custom Android 4.4 ROM and now it does...

wallace
02-10-2014, 09:06 PM
Hey i am unable to load the sw I've tried 3 times but it keeps failing. Any advice on where to start? Also is there a way to verify usb otg without downloading an app?

wowzer
02-10-2014, 10:21 PM
when you say load the software are you still trying to install the apk or are you actually clicking on the mpscandroid icon and running it? what info are you getting when you say it fails?

wallace
02-11-2014, 08:05 AM
Trying to install the apk. No info just says that it failed.

ShelGame
02-11-2014, 08:56 AM
Trying to install the apk. No info just says that it failed.

Do you have sideloading enabled? Sounds like no...

What version of Android do you have?

wallace
02-11-2014, 09:22 AM
4.1.2 where do I check the sideloading? Any way to verify otg without downloading an app?

ShelGame
02-11-2014, 10:11 AM
4.1.2 where do I check the sideloading? Any way to verify otg without downloading an app?

On mine, it's under 'Settings', 'security', 'Unknown Sources - Allow installation of apps from unknown sources'. Check that box, and you should be able to install the .apk.

I don't know how to check to OTG without an app. I don't think the OS has anything to tell you. You could check your manufacturer's online docs.

wowzer
02-11-2014, 11:29 AM
+1 to what rob said. from a software point of view 3.1+ android o/s should work. from a hardware point of view typically when you have the otg cable plugged in and you add, say, a flash drive then a screen usually pops up. if not you should download an app like usb host diagnostics or usb otg checker to do the checking for sure. they are not 100% accurate but usually work.
USB Host Diagnostic App

USB Host Diagnostic App

wallace
02-11-2014, 04:27 PM
Ok enabled sideloading and it still fails . There doesn't seem to be a way to view why. Any suggestions?

wowzer
07-24-2014, 03:46 PM
2nd that...

not to be too pushy but it might make it easier for members to know that an android version does exist.

- - - Updated - - -

2nd that...

not to be too pushy but it might make it easier for members to know that an android version does exist.

acannell
07-24-2014, 04:25 PM
This is almost too awesome to believe!

I would recommend a few things here:

-picture of whatever cabling or adapters are required to connect your android phone to the ECU (almost nobody knows what FTDI or otg cables are)
-link to where these adapters can be bought
-a simple diagram showing how the connection is made, what all the pieces are called, and how much they cost
-a screenshot of the program running
-something describing how it may be possible to have a bluetooth link so that no cabling is required. i.e. bring the phone into the car, bluetooth link sets up automatically without any action on your part except opening the app. now THAT would be BITTTTCCHENNN

zin
07-24-2014, 04:39 PM
I'd buy that for a dollar! :)

Mike

- - - Updated - - -

I'd buy that for a dollar! :)

Mike

wowzer
07-24-2014, 10:25 PM
I was using a Bluetooth adapter with the windows version a couple year ago. Worked alright, but not near as fast as the USB setup. Don't think the current version works with Bluetooth. Need to relook at it.as far as the droid version I'll break out the Bluetooth adapter later this year and see if I can get it to work.basically instead of buying the ftdi cable you buy the roving networks Bluetooth adapter.

acannell
07-28-2014, 04:53 PM
I was using a Bluetooth adapter with the windows version a couple year ago. Worked alright, but not near as fast as the USB setup. Don't think the current version works with Bluetooth. Need to relook at it.as far as the droid version I'll break out the Bluetooth adapter later this year and see if I can get it to work.basically instead of buying the ftdi cable you buy the roving networks Bluetooth adapter.

what are the FTDI and otg cables?

if I bought the roving networks bluetooth adapter, how does it connect to the diagnostic port on the ecu?

I'd like to get this running right now on my S5 but I'm not sure where I'm supposed to get cables or what is known working.

ShelGame
07-28-2014, 05:14 PM
USB-OTG Cable: This is a cable that will allow your Android device to access a peripheral in 'Master' mode - http://www.gadkoshop.com/usb-otg-adapter-cable-6/?gclid=Cj0KEQjw6deeBRCswoauquC8haUBEiQAdq5zh4z3-snEM7lQfFR2lklEZRSp0CHI8TR8B72h5nFw_i0aAh0u8P8HAQ

FTDI Cable: This is a cable made (partially) by FTDI. I sell the cable with a handy 3-pin connector added to the end so that it's plug-n-play to the SCI port in your car. It also has the protection circuit for the flashing an SBEC built-in. [I think you already have one of these cables, Asa?]

BlueTooth is working as far as I know. Unless Morris has it enabled and just no one uses it. I have several BT adapters to try, but have never put any effort into it. Even if they did work, it's not likely they would work well form under the hood (thru all the metal). You'd still want to run a cable and mount it in the passenger compartment somewhere.

acannell
07-28-2014, 06:08 PM
USB-OTG Cable: This is a cable that will allow your Android device to access a peripheral in 'Master' mode - http://www.gadkoshop.com/usb-otg-adapter-cable-6/?gclid=Cj0KEQjw6deeBRCswoauquC8haUBEiQAdq5zh4z3-snEM7lQfFR2lklEZRSp0CHI8TR8B72h5nFw_i0aAh0u8P8HAQ

FTDI Cable: This is a cable made (partially) by FTDI. I sell the cable with a handy 3-pin connector added to the end so that it's plug-n-play to the SCI port in your car. It also has the protection circuit for the flashing an SBEC built-in. [I think you already have one of these cables, Asa?]

BlueTooth is working as far as I know. Unless Morris has it enabled and just no one uses it. I have several BT adapters to try, but have never put any effort into it. Even if they did work, it's not likely they would work well form under the hood (thru all the metal). You'd still want to run a cable and mount it in the passenger compartment somewhere.

Thanks for the info Rob!!!

I'd like to get that Roving Networks bluetooth adapter going. Do you sell that on your site yet (wink wink)?? I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person that would want to jump in my car and have my android auto connect to the ecu and start data logging! :wow1::wow1:

What would also be cool is if you made a cable that did just what you suggest..reroute the diagnostic connector from the engine bay to somewhere in the cab, with a roving networks bluetooth dongle on the end, and perhaps a little screw hole to mount somewhere logical.

Or if you didnt want to get into stamping-approval onto a bluetooth adapter, you could make the cable that just relocates the diagnostic connector (a good idea anyways! Even just for an OTC2000, and I did it years ago so I could use the OTC while driving!) You already have the SCI connector designed!

Is there any particular Roving Networks adapter model number that you have at least heard of working? I'd like to buy the "best guess" so far..

acannell
07-28-2014, 06:23 PM
I notice the chinese bluetooth adapters on ebay are going for less than $3. Im totally up for trying to get something that cheap to work. Wowzer, can you tell me what your app needs to see so I can pick out an adapter that will probably work with the bluetooth?

acannell
07-28-2014, 06:39 PM
okay I just bought this for $5:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/30ft-Wireless-Bluetooth-RF-Transceiver-Module-RS232-TTL-HC-06-for-arduino-VE4A-/310976468808?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item4867a45748

if it doesnt work, i'm sure itll come in handy for something else...

wowzer
07-28-2014, 11:08 PM
I'll fill in more information tomorrow when I have time

wowzer
07-29-2014, 10:21 AM
if i was just starting and wanted to be able to flash and log my ecu i would use a boostbutton flash module with a ftdi boost button cable. basically plug the cable into the diag port and the other end into your pc usb port. benefits are high speed everything (flashing / logging). an alternative is the ostrich but its only real benefit is real time tuning and the down side is that you cannot log with it installed. still have to burn the tune to a regular chip. plus, some day rob and i hope to come up with a "crude" way to do real time tuning with a flash chip.

so for usb:
diag port -> BB ftdi cable -> pc (allows flashing with mptune and scanning with mpscan)
diag port -> BB ftdi cable -> otg adapter -> android phone (only can do logging with mpscandroid at this time)

this is the otg adapter i bought several years ago off amazon. don't know if there are better ones out there or not. i did no research on them before i bought it.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00932N46S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
your android phone must be version 3.1+ and support usb host mode or you need to load a custom rom that supports usb host mode.

bluetooth is a bit more complicated. when i used it before here is the setup:
diag port -> ttl serial inverter -> roving networks rn240 -> pc (w/ bluetooth adapter)

link to the roving networks adapter http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Roving-Networks/RN-240F/?qs=3vk7fz9CmNzaBkOcoi2fcw%3D%3D&gclid=CjwKEAjwjN2eBRDbyPWl0JLY5lYSJACPo0UiKzkI1p-jjNRiAIN_sLd9r1ZF3qFzp7AEXFuDup2H-hoCSTTw_wcB
(at the time i bought it i got it directly from roving networks).

the ttl inverter i used was from a kit i purchased from one of the old time guys on the dcal/chem site. i think the 2nd one i bought was from rob (don't know if it was something he had put together or where he got it from). i would guess some of the electrical geeks on here could put together a kit on a single board that combines the ttl inverter (max232 chip i think) and the rn240 board. not only do you need to be able to convert the signal from ttl to rs232 it also needs to be inverted.

to get the bluetooth to work was complicated. since our ecu's use a couple different none standard rates i needed to make sure the bluetooth adapter could support them. also, it needed the ability to change the rates on the fly. the rn240 did that. however, it requires the adapter to actually be rebooted during the "connection" process so the baud rates would sync. i had contacted the RN guys directly to try to get them to change their software but had no luck. they said the cost to do it outweighed the demand. so, the connection process takes a little more time but it did work. also, it was quite a bit slower than the usb connection due to the inability to change latency settings.

as mentioned. i'll get my bluetooth stuff out again and confirm if it still works with the current version of mptune/mpscan. if not i'll get it working for the next releases. that way you could at least use a pc that has bluetooth in it.

as far as bluetooth for android phones it might be hard to do for a number of reasons. if i only had to deal with one baud rate it would be fairly simple. but as mentioned earlier, it is a fairly complicated process to change baud rates on the fly and reboot the adapter. also, the way the serial connections work in the android OS is problematic in that everything is "queued" and timing of data sent/received is hard to keep synced. i'll give it a whirl but it won't be for a few months i would guess.

lastly, as mentioned elsewhere, the usb serial port driver for the android system does not currently support the ability to turn the RTS signal on/off. this becomes a problem trying to flash the newer sbec/fcc chips. if i create a version of mptune for android it would be limited for now to the older smec/sbec chips. hopefully this winter i can get a limited version going of mptune for android. interestingly though, it "appears" that the bluetooth adapter DOES support the rts/cts stuff so maybe that actually will work better than the ftdi cable. we'll see.

ShelGame
07-29-2014, 10:59 AM
Morris - I think the way around the BT latency and connection issues will be to pair the BT module with a small microprocessor. The uP will do the connection to the ECU, then just stream data out BT at the high baud rate. Of course, this will require some setup info be sent from the PC via BT. But, I think it can work. This would basically be like an OBDII ELM327 module, though a different protocol.

ShelGame
07-30-2014, 09:20 PM
I think we something like this connected to the ECU to log the data, then send it to the RN BT Module in packets like BT wants. This little guy is pretty cheap, and I'm sure I could write the logger firmware for it. It could just plug into the SCI port for power. Though, it could NOT be used for flashing. The cables would have to be swapped. Kind of gets complicated...

https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/

acannell
07-30-2014, 09:24 PM
I think we something like this connected to the ECU to log the data, then send it to the RN BT Module in packets like BT wants. This little guy is pretty cheap, and I'm sure I could write the logger firmware for it. It could just plug into the SCI port for power. Though, it could NOT be used for flashing. The cables would have to be swapped. Kind of gets complicated...

https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/

what would you need this black box adapter to be in order to do the whole shebang? I might be able to whip something up

I'm assuming on one side it would do the 7512/65200 baud rate, along with an I/O pin to act as the "RTS" for flashing

On the other side, interface to one of the $3 chinese TTL to bluetooth adapters at some high, standard speed, (115200?)

Maybe control the RTS line using a special sequence of escape characters from the android, something that would never be seen in the normal data stream..

ShelGame
07-30-2014, 09:52 PM
what would you need this black box adapter to be in order to do the whole shebang? I might be able to whip something up

I'm assuming on one side it would do the 7512/65200 baud rate, along with an I/O pin to act as the "RTS" for flashing

On the other side, interface to one of the $3 chinese TTL to bluetooth adapters at some high, standard speed, (115200?)

Maybe control the RTS line using a special sequence of escape characters from the android, something that would never be seen in the normal data stream..

You only need the RTS line for a Neon (or EATX in the future).

What we need it to do is, run the logging - automatically - when the power is on (12v @ the SCI port on key-on). It would need to log the data via a UART to the ECU, at the various logging rates required; then temporarily store the data in a large amount of on-board RAM until it's ready to be sent out via BlueTooth.

But, it also has to act transparently when flashing - IE, whenever something is plugged into it's USB port. And, it probably needs to act like an FTDI chip in USB/flashing mode (otherwise, we may have to write a driver for Windows to make it work).

So, we need a board with a fast micro (preferably with a good amount of on-board RAM; ~64k min), a BT module, and an FTDI chip. It also needs program storage, and a way to update the on-board program (probably thru the same USB port - so that adds a complication in that it needs to detect whether the user is flashing the ECU, or flashing a new program to the logger board).

To add complication, make it truly universal and add the RTS functionality so that the EATX, FCC, and suitable SBECII's can be re-flashed using the factory chip. That should be no problem if you put an FTDI chip on-board.

acannell
07-30-2014, 10:07 PM
You only need the RTS line for a Neon (or EATX in the future).

What we need it to do is, run the logging - automatically - when the power is on (12v @ the SCI port on key-on). It would need to log the data via a UART to the ECU, at the various logging rates required; then temporarily store the data in a large amount of on-board RAM until it's ready to be sent out via BlueTooth.

But, it also has to act transparently when flashing - IE, whenever something is plugged into it's USB port. And, it probably needs to act like an FTDI chip in USB/flashing mode (otherwise, we may have to write a driver for Windows to make it work).

So, we need a board with a fast micro (preferably with a good amount of on-board RAM; ~64k min), a BT module, and an FTDI chip. It also needs program storage, and a way to update the on-board program (probably thru the same USB port - so that adds a complication in that it needs to detect whether the user is flashing the ECU, or flashing a new program to the logger board).

To add complication, make it truly universal and add the RTS functionality so that the EATX, FCC, and suitable SBECII's can be re-flashed using the factory chip. That should be no problem if you put an FTDI chip on-board.

Wouldnt it be easier to make it a true pass-through without doing the logging itself? I.e. make it so that MpScanDroid cant tell its even there, besides the baud rate being a standard one, so that the cheap chinese bluetooth to ttl will work (instead of the $50 to $70 roving networks bluetooth).

So right now I'm guessing MPSCANDROID sees everything as just a com port. And the reason you cant just connect the chinese $3 bluetooth to ttl to the ECU SCI on one side, and the droid on the other (via bluetooth) is because the chinese crap doesnt support the weird ECU baud rates (unlike the RN which does). So thats where a little bit of brain would need to be added to talk to the SCI at whatever weirdo baud rate, and pulse out that data at a much faster baudrate the chinese converter likes. Wouldnt that work? It would just be an MCU that does a simple baud rate conversion, buffering only a few bytes at a time?

From the perspective of MPSCANDROID, the overall data rate would be the same, but the data would come in much shorter bursts with long delays in between, caused by the slow baud rate being buffered and then spat out at a higher rate.
I thought you needed one more I/O pin to turn on the flashing for our ECU's?

ShelGame
07-30-2014, 10:09 PM
Actually, I don't know why you couldn't do it with this - http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-RKM-Android-4-2-XBMC-Quad-Core-Bluetooth-Wifi-Mini-PC-TV-Dongles-BOX-MK802-/271560946106?pt=US_Internet_Media_Streamers&hash=item3f3a4b31ba

I doubt we could make anything cheaper. It only needs an FTDI cable plugged into it's USB port, and an app written for it. You could even then plug a small screen into it, like this - http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-8-USB-TFT-Touch-Display-Module-V2-For-Raspberry-Pi-Cubieboard-pcDuino-MiniPC-/171393380943?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27e7d7724f

For when you want direct access to the ECU. Since it's Android-based, it can probably be convinced to do the flashing, too. Just need to be able to send it the file wirelessly.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I actually already have one of these plugged into an old monitor on my desktop. It recognizes the FTDI cable when plugged into a USB hub. Plus, if you need more memory, just plug in a USB drive to the hub.

Morris - how hard would it be to setup MPScanDroid to stream data out over BT? IE, use an Android Stick with an FTDI cable (and no display) to read the data in the ECU, then stream it out over a BT connection to another device running MP ScanDroid? That way, we can use one of these Android sticks to do the actual logging, and a phone or tablet to display the data wirelessly.

ShelGame
07-30-2014, 10:20 PM
Morris - 2ndly, I noticed that MPSD just updated itself. I like the red lines to help with the layout alignment. Anything else I should look for?

ShelGame
07-30-2014, 10:28 PM
More thoughts I had forgotten about...

1. Add the ability (MPSW & MPSD) to read and log a microphone input (Windows via a soundcard, Android via the headphone/mic input). This can be used to read a secondary knock sensor and correlate the data directly to ECU data. Could be much more helpful than just listening on headphones and trying to look at a screen or something. Would be even better if MPSD/W could playback that data as audio do you can hear while watching the data playback.

2. Add GPS logging to MPSD. I think this would be a big help especially for road racers / auto-xers. I'd probably use it for drag racing too, if it was there.

wowzer
08-01-2014, 10:41 AM
1) i think it would be relatively easy to stream out the bluetooth stuff. basically, on the stick just write the logging/sending routines vs having the whole MPSD app. have MPSD pair with the stick and then when you want to log MPSD would just send the locations and a start command and the stick would collect the data "packets" and send it to the MPSD device that is "listening" for a complete packet, which would then be displayed/logged using the MPSD program. or something like that..... Could work the same way for flashing. send a flash or read command to the stick and then send/receive the data as needed and let the stick do the rest. basically have it set up so when the stick is booted the necessary program is run as a service that is always available to mpscan/mptune.

2) there are libraries available in the software i'm using to capture the mic info. i'll need to see how well it works to get the clarity needed to ID engine knock. playback would be the easy part

3) gps logging is available too. would need to determine how the gps data would be integrated into the program. might be easier just to use one of the already available android apps out there, unless you can see a benefit of using mpsd.

i need to get me a stick to test........... this might be a nice, cheap alternative to the RN bluetooth module. also i like the idea of using the ftdi chip to do the interfacing. it is a quality, proven unit that anybody that tunes/logs should have anyway. then just buy a simple stick setup and off you go. as you mentioned to me earlier, you could even have the stick log directly to a SD card which could be analyzed later. just use an in car touch screen to control the stick actions. hmmm.....

wowzer
08-01-2014, 10:45 AM
Morris - 2ndly, I noticed that MPSD just updated itself. I like the red lines to help with the layout alignment. Anything else I should look for?

not really, i thought the red lines were already displaying in the first version. i basically just tweaked the code used when displaying tables. also, you may want to update the .csv files since i added a 3bar map sensor description.

is there something in particular you are wanting?

ShelGame
08-01-2014, 11:53 AM
1) i think it would be relatively easy to stream out the bluetooth stuff. basically, on the stick just write the logging/sending routines vs having the whole MPSD app. have MPSD pair with the stick and then when you want to log MPSD would just send the locations and a start command and the stick would collect the data "packets" and send it to the MPSD device that is "listening" for a complete packet, which would then be displayed/logged using the MPSD program. or something like that..... Could work the same way for flashing. send a flash or read command to the stick and then send/receive the data as needed and let the stick do the rest. basically have it set up so when the stick is booted the necessary program is run as a service that is always available to mpscan/mptune.

2) there are libraries available in the software i'm using to capture the mic info. i'll need to see how well it works to get the clarity needed to ID engine knock. playback would be the easy part

3) gps logging is available too. would need to determine how the gps data would be integrated into the program. might be easier just to use one of the already available android apps out there, unless you can see a benefit of using mpsd.

i need to get me a stick to test........... this might be a nice, cheap alternative to the RN bluetooth module. also i like the idea of using the ftdi chip to do the interfacing. it is a quality, proven unit that anybody that tunes/logs should have anyway. then just buy a simple stick setup and off you go. as you mentioned to me earlier, you could even have the stick log directly to a SD card which could be analyzed later. just use an in car touch screen to control the stick actions. hmmm.....

That sounds even better. Could you do all the configuration from the 'master' (phone or tablet), and let the 'slave (Android Stick) do all the interfacing and direct communication with the ECU?

- - - Updated - - -

not really, i thought the red lines were already displaying in the first version. i basically just tweaked the code used when displaying tables. also, you may want to update the .csv files since i added a 3bar map sensor description.

is there something in particular you are wanting?

No specific requests, I just saw the red lines and thought maybe it was a bigger update...

wowzer
08-01-2014, 12:57 PM
That sounds even better. Could you do all the configuration from the 'master' (phone or tablet), and let the 'slave (Android Stick) do all the interfacing and direct communication with the ECU?

i think that would be the goal. pair a bluetooth phone/tablet/laptop with the stick (or wifi instead?) have the stick "listen" for a command from the master, whether to log, flash, read, etc. then the stick would communicate directly with the ecu and just send/receive data as needed. we'll see. i'll buy a cheap stick this weekend so i can play with it. additionally, with a stick you could have the mpscan app loaded on it and buy a cheap touch screen monitor and directly run the app from the stick in the car. the other benefit would be to offload all the ecu processing from the phone. the only downside would be using a pc. the bluetooth method would be alot slower than directly plugging the usb port in the pc. i suppose you could unhook the ftdi cable from the stick and plug it in the pc easy enough if you want to.

ShelGame
08-01-2014, 01:45 PM
i think that would be the goal. pair a bluetooth phone/tablet/laptop with the stick (or wifi instead?) have the stick "listen" for a command from the master, whether to log, flash, read, etc. then the stick would communicate directly with the ecu and just send/receive data as needed. we'll see. i'll buy a cheap stick this weekend so i can play with it. additionally, with a stick you could have the mpscan app loaded on it and buy a cheap touch screen monitor and directly run the app from the stick in the car. the other benefit would be to offload all the ecu processing from the phone. the only downside would be using a pc. the bluetooth method would be alot slower than directly plugging the usb port in the pc. i suppose you could unhook the ftdi cable from the stick and plug it in the pc easy enough if you want to.

Wifi might be better, if possible. I was just looking at some of the Android sticks, and the cheaper ones do NOT have BT. If it could be done with Wifi, the cheaper sticks could be used.

ShelGame
08-01-2014, 01:57 PM
Something like this - http://www.ebay.com/itm/CX919-RK3188-Quad-Core-Android-4-2-TV-BOX-Stick-PC-Wifi-1080P-HDMI-2GB-8GB-S9-/251604319531?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a94c93d2b

Quad core, comes with Jelly Bean, there are custom ROM's out there to install KitKat on it, has BT and WiFi, 1 full-size USB port, USB host mode, and it even has a MicroSD slot for datalog storage. Should work and it's only $45.

Need to find a 12v-to-5v power supply to run it from the car.

acannell
08-02-2014, 03:21 PM
wowzer, can you tell me how I can get MPScanDroid to use a bluetooth converter I am trying to connect to it? Are there options somewhere to pick what device it will use? What does it look for?

I'd like to experiment with the chinese bluetooth to ttl converter I have coming in the mail, is it possible to tell MPScanDroid to use it?

acannell
08-02-2014, 05:41 PM
MPSCANDROID working on usb!! VERY AWESOME!!!

Now looking at what it would take to just get rid of those cables and use bluetooth..its just a matter of baud rates and a little buffering. Theres got to be a way to pull it off with a $3 chinese bluetooth to ttl adapter at a standard baud rate, with the simplest of MCU's added to buffer and convert the baud rate to the weird ECU rates..just a black box pass-through??

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/f21/729378-beginners-experience-mpscan-mptune-2.html#post3402530

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff197/acannell/2012-01-17_14-13-31_501_zpswqqx47gb.jpg

acannell
08-02-2014, 09:12 PM
okay hear me out..I have a possible idea for the bluetooth solution

you know those ELM327 bluetooth to OBD2 adapters everyone has?

well, I just took mine apart, and the list of ingredients in it is exactly whats needed to make a bluetooth to chrysler SCI converter

first, its got a BC417 based bluetooth modem. It is a well documented modem with public, well written, english datasheets, and its basically the same one I've been talking about on Ebay for $3.

Then , its got a PIC MCU.

So the PIC MCU talks to the modem via AT commands to configure it and then when its paired, as a serial port pass through.

The modem only supports standard baud rates, but thats no big deal, the PIC is what ends up talking to the Chrysler ECU (or OBD2 in this case)

And, this is all totally android compatible because this is the adapter everyone uses with the Torque app to talk to their OBD2 cars.

And now you can get these things on ebay for about $10 shipped!

So you get the case, the modem, the bluetooth, the power supply to be powered from vehicle power..its all built into the circuit board already. Even LED's to indicate status.

All you would need to do is write simple code for the PIC MCU to act as the baud rate changer and bufferer between the bluetooth modem and the chrysler ECU. Easy!! And since you are just making it a super simple go between, no worries about needing to update its firmware like you would with an Android stick that acts as a complex logger.

The pic on there is an 18F (flash), so maybe you get real lucky and its not locked and you can just upload new code into it using ICSP. Worst case you desolder it then solder a new one on.

Then, Rob, you make an adapter from OBD2 to Chrysler SCI plug that fits into the OBD2 plug on this (or, since its installed in a slot, not molded with the housing, you replace the connector with your Chrysler ECU connector).

Peel the ELM327 sticker off, slap a boost button sticker on, and VOILA, Chrysler to Bluetooth ready for MPSCANDROID!

Maybe you can even figure a way to swap firmware with a switch so that you can turn it back into an OBD2..but at $10 a pop for these its not that big a deal to just make it permanently Chrysler.

What do you think!?!?!

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff197/acannell/20140802_180216_zpsufscql95.jpg (http://s242.photobucket.com/user/acannell/media/20140802_180216_zpsufscql95.jpg.html)

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff197/acannell/20140802_180221_zps4qdzj4gg.jpg (http://s242.photobucket.com/user/acannell/media/20140802_180221_zps4qdzj4gg.jpg.html)

ShelGame
08-02-2014, 10:50 PM
Seems feasible enough. I have the exact same module, actually.

Maybe I'll open it up and reverse engineer it. Any signs of a port for programming the PIC?

acannell
08-02-2014, 11:19 PM
Seems feasible enough. I have the exact same module, actually.

Maybe I'll open it up and reverse engineer it. Any signs of a port for programming the PIC?

If I'm reading the datasheet right (PIC18F2480), the in-circuit debugger is on pins 28 and 27. Looking at the board it looks they have both of them going to LED's. On this PIC you can configure the pins for many functions..i.e. port io, internal timer stuff, you know the usual. Most likely they just soldered the chip in already programmed, so to use the in circuit stuff youd just have to pop the series resistors for the LED's off and/or cut the leds and hook up. I'm not sure if they can or did lock the chip though. Worst case you buy another one from digikey for $5.36 + $2.00 first class mail and swap it out. Then you have quite the bluetooth/sci playground! Do you already have a PICSTART or something to use as debugger?

Any word on if wowzer left in the bluetooth code in the current version of MPSCANDROID or is it gone? I paired this with my phone but mpscandroid didnt recognize it. If wowzer can add a few options to MPSCANDROID like the ability to accept bluetooth devices like this as serial ports, and the ability to use standard baud rates, it might be possible to get this rolling pretty fast.

Looking at the 18F2480 its no surprise its used in this thing. Its got a built in CAN subsystem. And a ton of other serial ports too. I wouldnt be surprised if you could have it do the baud rate and buffering almost entirely in hardware lol.

And I bet if you turned this into a generic bluetooth to weird-baudrate pass-through device, with maybe some jumpers to set data polarity, youd be able to sell it to lots of OBD-1 people, not just chryslers

- - - Updated - - -

oops..not a picstart..an ICD 2 or 3

I had an extra one but I sold it on ebay a few months ago:(

wowzer
08-02-2014, 11:28 PM
bluetooth is not in mpscandroid and is disabled/non functioning in mpscan.

wowzer
08-02-2014, 11:43 PM
can you tell what the clock rate is on that chip? hopefully it is a nice even number like 16Mhz. that way the baud rates would line up nicely.

acannell
08-02-2014, 11:54 PM
can you tell what the clock rate is on that chip? hopefully it is a nice even number like 16Mhz. that way the baud rates would line up nicely.

they've got a 4mhz crystal on board..and there is a good chance the 18F supports all kinds of internal clock generator functions as well so who knows whats possible, I bet you can get your baud rate within a couple us

- - - Updated - - -

some better pics

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff197/acannell/20140802_205113_zpsxtlaweaw.jpg (http://s242.photobucket.com/user/acannell/media/20140802_205113_zpsxtlaweaw.jpg.html)

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff197/acannell/20140802_205124_zpsh28cpcmq.jpg (http://s242.photobucket.com/user/acannell/media/20140802_205124_zpsh28cpcmq.jpg.html)

acannell
08-03-2014, 12:50 AM
I tried connecting my ICD2 to the PIC18F2480.

I used only 5 wires on the ICD2: data, clock, reset, vcc, and ground. Uhm..that may be all of them I dont think there is a 6th wire.

I connected them on the chip as follows:

DATA - pin 28
CLOCK - pin 27
VCC - pin 20
GROUND - pin 19
RESET - pin 1

Note that they have pin 1 tired directly to Vcc on the board, so I lifted it and soldered the ICD2 reset line directly to it.

I powered the board via its OBD connector on pins 16 and 1 using a bench supply at 11.6V.

I also removed R16 and R17 from the board, they are series resistors for two of the LED's which are connected to the PGD (DATA) and PGC (CLOCK) pins on the PIC..guess they didnt plan on using the low voltage programming/debugger.

Everything went well..target Id read okay.

I tried reading the chip but it all came up empty.

So then I read the config bits and it looks like the code is protected from read and write.

A brief review of the datasheet suggests you can still ERASE the chip and then put your own stuff in it and reset all the code protection. So that may have to be the way to go.

Before I brick my precious $10 adapter, wowzer could you give me a path in MPSCANDROID so that it will connect to this bluetooth device and try to communicate through it as if it were a normal serial port, and maybe I can get some skeleton code going or maybe even totally working?

How to deal with the need to change baud rates on the fly? I.e. 62500 to 7812 or whatever. I am thinking some in-band signalling in the form of a long sequence of special escape characters to tell the PIC to change its output baud rate. Is the stuff that gets sent at 7812 special in-itself? Maybe the pic could simply detect that that string is being sent and switch baud rates when it sees it? I'm thinking as little code as possible in the PIC. Super bare bones.

We may only be a few lines of code away from a working cheap bluetooth option guys!! Maybe if we're lucky? Wowzer whats the scoop? Only you know the guts of MPSCANDROID.

BTW heres the config bits:

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff197/acannell/obdadaptconfigbits_zps702024e0.jpg (http://s242.photobucket.com/user/acannell/media/obdadaptconfigbits_zps702024e0.jpg.html)

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff197/acannell/20140802_214644_zpszpk652g0.jpg (http://s242.photobucket.com/user/acannell/media/20140802_214644_zpszpk652g0.jpg.html)

ShelGame
08-03-2014, 11:16 AM
I did some reading about that adapter. I found a link where someone tried to do the same as you Asa - with the same result. The chip is both read and write protected.

Another thing I noticed is that the adapter is setup to communicate via 'K' and 'L' lines. I don't know what 'L' is, but I know our old ECU's do NOT use 'K' line. Basicaly, 'K' line is a multiplexed read/write single line; active high signal. We have separate read/write lines communicating as simple inverted TTL logic. So, I think we can reverse engineer this device and copy a large portion of the circuitry. But, we won't be able to use it as-is without a bunch of modifications.

acannell
08-03-2014, 01:06 PM
I did some reading about that adapter. I found a link where someone tried to do the same as you Asa - with the same result. The chip is both read and write protected.

Thats okay. You can still erase it and put your own code in it if I'm reading the datasheet right. The only reason I didn't try that is because I don't want to brick my adapter because its my only OBD2 scanner at the moment and I need it in case the vette throws a code. If I'm wrong and you can't erase it and reprogram it with whatever you want, then it could just be desoldered and another one installed. Its a SOIC so its very easy to remove. I could swap it with another one in less than 5 minutes. And you can get one from digikey for $7 shipped. Alot cheaper in bulk from elsewhere for a production version most likely.

I'm not suggesting reusing any of the code in it. I say blank it out and write code from scratch to to the needed baud rate conversions and small amount of buffering needed to make this all work.

Another thing I noticed is that the adapter is setup to communicate via 'K' and 'L' lines. I don't know what 'L' is, but I know our old ECU's do NOT use 'K' line. Basicaly, 'K' line is a multiplexed read/write single line; active high signal. We have separate read/write lines communicating as simple inverted TTL logic.

Whatever they are doing with K and L lines doesn't really matter to us. We can just cut and jump 2 or 3 wires to get the serial ports we want wired to the right places. Theres a good chance that the CAN serial module on the PIC can be reconfigured to be a simple 2 wire bit-banger using the same pins they were using for K and L. Even if thats not the case, we can just pick a different serial port on it and use that instead.

So, I think we can reverse engineer this device and copy a large portion of the circuitry. But, we won't be able to use it as-is without a bunch of modifications.

I agree, they should be easy modifications though.

If wowzer can make it so MPSCANDROID will recognize the bluetooth modem in it and try to use it as a serial port, with a standard baud rate, and give me an idea what MPSCANDROID needs to see, I can work on getting this running today and tomorrow. There is a lull while I'm waiting for fitment testing of the intake I'm working on so I'm available for this.

I cant do anything if MPSCANDROID is ignoring the bluetooth modem.

acannell
08-03-2014, 01:17 PM
So, to clarify how the data transactions will work:

MPSCANDROID: connect to bluetooth modem on the OBD2 adapter

MPSCANDROID: use it as a serial port at a fixed, standard baud rate (because it only support standard baud rates). lets say 230kbps.

MPSCANDROID: attempt to send a byte to the ECU through that serial port, lets say at 7812baud

MPSCANDROID: begin a timer that waits at least how long it would take for the data to be transmitted at 7812, even though its sending it at 230kbps (because PIC will have to send it at 7812)

PIC on new adapter: see incoming byte from bluetooth modem at 7812. recognize this as one of the special "7812 baud" only bytes. switch output baud rate to ECU to 7812 baud. send byte to ECU.

ECU: sees data at 7812. sends some kind of response back

PIC on new adapter: sees response from ECU at 62500/7812 baud rate. sends data to bluetooth modem at 230kbps.

MPSCANDROID: receives data byte from bluetooth modem at 230kbps

and the cycle repeats

there needs to be a little logic on the pic to determine when to switch baud rates, but there are a few ways to do this.

MPSCANDROID will need to slow its OVERALL data rate down to whatever the data rate would be if it were transmitting at the ECU baud rate..i.e. its sending it at about 4 times the ECU data rate into the PIC (230kbps), we dont want the PIC to have buffer overruns since it can only empty that data at the slow ECU rates of 62500/7812...so the data stream from MPSCANDROID will appear to be short 1 byte bursts with long delays in between. The bursts will be at 230kbps, but combined with the long delays, it becomes 62.5kbps, for instance.

acannell
08-03-2014, 04:11 PM
I tried a little experiment just to prove how close this is to working.

Using an app called "Bluetooth SPP" I paired to the OBD2 adapter.

Then I monitored pin 1 of the bluetooth modem module which is the output of whatever the modem receives, and using the app, sent some characters.

They appeared on the scope as expected.

So if we just pretend that instead of the "Bluetooth SPP" app, it was MPSCAN DROID, and we had something to do the baud rate conversion, level inversion, and a few bytes of buffering, we'd have a working converter.

ShelGame
08-03-2014, 05:56 PM
If you want to test it with an SBEC, send it 0x12 at 7812 baud until it replies with a 0x12. Then send it any single byte (RAM address) at 62500 baud and you should get back the value at that location.

acannell
08-04-2014, 08:46 PM
update:

I decided to go ahead and try erasing the PIC18F2480 in the OBD2 adapter. I'll just buy another one!

And it worked! I was able to erase it, then upload code into it and do live debugging, using MPLAB with the free C18 compiler.

So its possible to put whatever code you want into it.

I also tried to figure out what all the pins on the PIC were connected to. I think I have a pretty solid idea, except for pin 16, which I just can't seem to find a connection to.

Looks like all the stuff connected to the PIC is pretty innocent and if needed we could remove a resistor here or clip a pin there and disable those connections if needed. Most likely we could just not use them and everything would be fine.

Heres my messy schematic, I was scribbling it while using the multimeter so sorry its a mess.

I did some experiments with Android and the BC417 bluetooth module on the adapter. I was able to send bytes from a small program I made on Android and receive them at the output of the bluetooth modem. I was also able to send AT commands to the bluetooth modems hard-wired port with hyperterminal to configure its baud rate, etc..

So this means there is now confirmation of:

-Byte transmission and receipt from Android to the Bluetooth modem in the OBD2 adapter
-Control of the OBD2 bluetooth modem with AT commands
-The ability to put arbitrary code inside the OBD2 adapter PIC processor

Which means that right now, technically there are no more mysteries about if its possible to use the OBD2 adapter as cheap hardware to make a Bluetooth Android to Chrysler ECU adapter. Its just a matter of writing/modifying software on the Android (MPSCANDROID) and writing the firmware for the pic!

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff197/acannell/20140804_173503_zpshsisvd5b.jpg (http://s242.photobucket.com/user/acannell/media/20140804_173503_zpshsisvd5b.jpg.html)

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff197/acannell/debugging_zps4f27edbe.jpg (http://s242.photobucket.com/user/acannell/media/debugging_zps4f27edbe.jpg.html)

acannell
08-04-2014, 08:50 PM
What I would really like to see is a small app that is always running on my phone, and a bluetooth adapter I keep plugged into the Daytona diagnostic port at all times (which only turns on with ignition).

Then, when I bring my phone in the car, the Android app detects the bluetooth adapter, connects to the Chrysler ECU through it, and begins logging a pre-selected list of several parameters, for the entire drive, without any interaction from me. So its a "black box" essentially.

Since the data from the ECU is extremely-highly-compressible numeric data heavy in patterns, you could use a simple zip compression to store it and basically log enormous amounts of data, so space wouldn't be a problem.

Then later I can download the data over wifi from my phone, open the data up in MPSCAN/EXCEL on my laptop and do whatever I need to do with it.

wowzer
08-04-2014, 10:55 PM
good job - curious what software you used to write the android app? java?

acannell
08-04-2014, 11:36 PM
good job - curious what software you used to write the android app? java?

thanks, I've been waiting years for a reason to get into Android development. Finally I have an excuse. I just installed the SDK and threw a bunch of bluetooth code in the main activity with a couple buttons and click listeners. I probably shouldnt call it an app, its more just a bluetooth focused hello world lol. I'm used to straight C for embedded stuff, although I've written some windows programs in notepad so I am somewhat familiar with how on OS API uses objects and lots of handles and methods to get things done, but I think I'm going to have to re-learn variable scope and some other fundamental things, I get the feeling there are some areas that may be quite different from C. I'm not really sure what language it was in..its Java isn't it? Arent there couple flavors going on in Android though?

ShelGame
08-05-2014, 08:51 AM
What I would really like to see is a small app that is always running on my phone, and a bluetooth adapter I keep plugged into the Daytona diagnostic port at all times (which only turns on with ignition).

Then, when I bring my phone in the car, the Android app detects the bluetooth adapter, connects to the Chrysler ECU through it, and begins logging a pre-selected list of several parameters, for the entire drive, without any interaction from me. So its a "black box" essentially.

1st question - How/when do you select the parameters to log? You can't log all of them, there's too many. You'd lose useful resolution of any single channel. In my experience, 10-12 is the most you want to get. So, how would you propose to send a setup file to the logger? Via BT from the 'host' program on Android? Then, you have to worry about syncing them. For example, if the setup changes on the phone while NOT connected, then 'dongle' may send data that the 'host' doesn't understand. Just more stuff to consider when trying to implement this.

Since the data from the ECU is extremely-highly-compressible numeric data heavy in patterns, you could use a simple zip compression to store it and basically log enormous amounts of data, so space wouldn't be a problem.

I think space shouldn't be a problem even without compression. Unless you want to log a full day's worth of data. That then becomes an analysis problem. Too much data to parse by a human.

acannell
08-05-2014, 09:48 AM
1st question - How/when do you select the parameters to log? You can't log all of them, there's too many. You'd lose useful resolution of any single channel. In my experience, 10-12 is the most you want to get. So, how would you propose to send a setup file to the logger? Via BT from the 'host' program on Android? Then, you have to worry about syncing them. For example, if the setup changes on the phone while NOT connected, then 'dongle' may send data that the 'host' doesn't understand. Just more stuff to consider when trying to implement this.

I think space shouldn't be a problem even without compression. Unless you want to log a full day's worth of data. That then becomes an analysis problem. Too much data to parse by a human.

To be clear, I am not suggesting that this new piece of hardware do anything besides act as a blind pass-through to serial data. I dont think it should be any more complex than that. It should be just a dumb, brainless bluetooth to 7812/62500 (and a few other custom chrysler baudrates). At most it will buffer a couple bytes of data, and change baud rates as needed based on escaped command sequences from the Android app. In fact, it could be used with any Android app that needs a bluetooth to TTL converter. Or a laptop even. It should be just a dumb piece of hardware, just like the FTDI cable, IMO.

So all logging would be done by the Android app. The variables to log and everything else would be configured in there.

As far as data storage, I'm thinking the logger logs every time I drive, forever. It could break the logging data up into separate files based on each "drive", or maybe into each "WOT" event". But basically, I don't ever want to miss something that happened in my car that I wish I had logged, whether it be for tuning, or because there was some engine trouble/anomaly that occured that I'd like to see ECU data for to help me troubleshoot it.

wowzer
08-05-2014, 12:03 PM
asa - does the off-the-shelf elm327 have an AT command to send a single byte to the odb2 side? also, when it receives a byte from the obd2 side does it automatically forward it through the bluetooth modem or is a "read" command required? if a read is required what happens when a read is done and no data is available? if the baud rate can be set on the fly on the obd2 side as well as being able to send/receive a single byte this should be a great SIMPLE solution. hopefully a "standard" elm327 module would work. does the elm327 use an embedded ftdi chip to do the baudrates or is that done thru the pic chip? i've got a couple elm327s that are usb - no bluetooth. may need to pick a bluetooth one up.

acannell
08-05-2014, 12:31 PM
asa - does the off-the-shelf elm327 have an AT command to send a single byte to the odb2 side? also, when it receives a byte from the obd2 side does it automatically forward it through the bluetooth modem or is a "read" command required? if a read is required what happens when a read is done and no data is available? if the baud rate can be set on the fly on the obd2 side as well as being able to send/receive a single byte this should be a great SIMPLE solution. hopefully a "standard" elm327 module would work. does the elm327 use an embedded ftdi chip to do the baudrates or is that done thru the pic chip? i've got a couple elm327s that are usb - no bluetooth. may need to pick a bluetooth one up.

huh...you just made me realize something..

"ELM327" is an OBD2 interpreter chip made by elm electronics: http://elmelectronics.com/obdic.html

And there are no ELM chips anywhere in this module, even though the sticker says that and its marketed as such.

So the PIC18F2480 in this module is obviously doing the OBD2 interpretation.

Not really a surprise I guess but its a little amusing. Instead of just calling it "OBD2 interface" which would be self explanatory, they are giving it the name "ELM327" to associate it with an interpreter chip which does OBD2, which it doesn't actually have lol

List of components in this "ELM327" module, in a hierarchy, hopefully the indents come out:

MAIN PCB
-HC06 (or similar) bluetooth to TTL module
-BC417 bluetooth modem IC

-PIC18F2480
-miscellaneous support chips (voltage regulators, opamps, CAN bus physical interface chip)

If you look at the whole adapter as a black box, you have two data streams:

OBD connector to vehicle ECU
Bluetooth RF connection to Android/Laptop

The bluetooth RF connection connects to the BC417 bluetooth modem IC, which is part of the HC06 (or similar) bluetooth to TTL module.

That bluetooth module is directly connected to the PIC, through one of the PIC serial ports.

The PIC can send AT commands to the bluetooth module to set its baud rate and a few other parameters. It can only set STANDARD baud rates, no 7812/62500 stuff. But that doesnt matter, because the PIC talks to the ECU through another one if its serial ports, at whatever baud rate you want. So the PIC acts as the intermediary.

The HC06 (or similar) bluetooth module only accepts AT commands when its not connected to another bluetooth device. When its connected to a bluetooth device, it acts as a transparent serial port. You just send a raw byte to it over bluetooth and it pops out on its serial port, headed towards the PIC.

Same with a read, its just a transparent pass through. So you never tell it "read a byte". You just read your local serial port, and if there is no data, thats all handled on your local side. So the question really is "what happens in Android if I read a serial port (InputStream) and there is no data?".

The way I see this working is that you would only need to setup the HC06 with AT commands once, ever, to set it to whatever baud rate the PIC will be talking to it at..something high and standard like 234000bps. It keeps that setting in NVRAM, so no need to update it.

The bluetooth modem acts as a listening server, so to connect you act as the client in Android. No need to tell the modem to do anything..its always listening for that connection and handles the setup of it automatically, acting as a pass-through.

ShelGame
08-05-2014, 07:41 PM
Very useful webpage - http://mcuoneclipse.com/2013/06/19/using-the-hc-06-bluetooth-module/

It describes the differences between the HC05 and 06 modules.

acannell
08-05-2014, 07:55 PM
Very useful webpage - http://mcuoneclipse.com/2013/06/19/using-the-hc-06-bluetooth-module/

It describes the differences between the HC05 and 06 modules.

the reason I think its an HC06 is because it didnt seem to response to any of the "additional AT commands"..just the basic ones like baud rate and such

wowzer
08-07-2014, 04:16 PM
just an fyi - i hooked up my old ttl line leveler/inverter to my rn240 bluetooth module and i was able to log using mpscan at around 26/27 bytes per second. at one time i had it working under android but i'll need to revisit it again. it's a little bit complex with all the steps needed to switch baud rates and rebooting the bluetooth module. takes about 20 seconds once you hit record for the data to start logging.

acannell
08-07-2014, 07:14 PM
just an fyi - i hooked up my old ttl line leveler/inverter to my rn240 bluetooth module and i was able to log using mpscan at around 26/27 bytes per second. at one time i had it working under android but i'll need to revisit it again. it's a little bit complex with all the steps needed to switch baud rates and rebooting the bluetooth module. takes about 20 seconds once you hit record for the data to start logging.

hmm...somethings funny about 27 bytes per second..there must be some enormous latency bottleneck somewhere..that would make bluetooth almost unusable for pretty much anything. what kind of speed can you log at with a hardwired serial port?

acannell
08-09-2014, 01:28 PM
got some fun in the mail today! not bad for $5

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff197/acannell/20140809_102540_zpsnt30t0xh.jpg (http://s242.photobucket.com/user/acannell/media/20140809_102540_zpsnt30t0xh.jpg.html)

ShelGame
08-09-2014, 06:37 PM
hmm...somethings funny about 27 bytes per second..there must be some enormous latency bottleneck somewhere..that would make bluetooth almost unusable for pretty much anything. what kind of speed can you log at with a hardwired serial port?
My guess is it has to do with filling a buffer of some kind. If we put a pic in between, I bet we can improve that speed.

player1up
11-07-2014, 06:05 PM
Not that you guys don't have enough to think about already but....
I was having a conversation with a guy at work and the topic of heads up displays came up. Fast forward a few minutes and
we got to the point of wondering if it's possible to mimic the gauge display of ones phone ( MPScandroid ) to a pair of google glasses.

Yep, gauges right in your eye! ....ok ,so does MPScandroid have to support this or is that a google glass support question?... and has anyone tried?

acannell
11-24-2014, 12:56 AM
bug report: when screen rotation changes MPSCANDROID disconnects the ECU (samsung s5, latest version of mpscandroid I think, because it updated tonight)

I had to lock screen rotation to prevent it, so if you can lock screen rotation thats a workaround. But just thought I'd report.

wowzer
11-24-2014, 10:30 AM
thanks asa - i'll take a look at it. android o/s is kinda complicated in certain ways. e.g. when you do a rotation it kills the activity and then recreates it, so you have to save all kinds of data before the rotation is complete and then reload it back in after the phone starts the activity back up. the logging is done in a service so not quite sure why it would disconnect. hmm. i was going to lock the rotation but thought users would complain. maybe i'll set it up as an option so you have the choice of either landscape or portrait mode and then not have to worry about rotation issues.

shackwrrr
11-24-2014, 11:56 AM
I would prefer a rotation lock. It seems that driving g forces cause false rotations anyway.

acannell
11-24-2014, 12:48 PM
I would prefer a rotation lock. It seems that driving g forces cause false rotations anyway.

I concur...no need to rotate while logging anyway.

wowzer
11-24-2014, 05:36 PM
easy enough. thx.

EaZyE426
04-14-2015, 10:01 PM
Any progress made on the bluetooth connection for MPScanDroid?

Cable ordered from Rob today and I'm getting excited.
:D

wowzer
04-15-2015, 09:54 AM
no progress. i had bluetooth working with my android phone a couple years ago and did some logging using a roving networks rn240(?) but it was soooooo slow i quit using it. also it required a separate inverter for the ttl lines. the usb is so much faster and easier to implement. if i get time later this spring/summer i'll see what i can do. a couple of the brainiacs on here were working on some options with various pic chips that may provide a viable solution later on.

minigts
08-08-2015, 11:21 AM
For this version, do they make an FTDI cable that is micro-USB? I'm using a male to male adapter to connect the FTDI cable to a micro USB cable. Not working, but maybe it never will this way? Just got a brand new cable from Rob that connects to the device port under the hood. Running mpscandroid on a Galaxy S4, 4.4.2. Just says error opening USB port. Thoughts? Going to try with my windows laptop and see if I get similar results.

ShelGame
08-08-2015, 11:29 AM
You need a USB-OTG (On-The-Go) adapter. It's a specially wired cable to allow the port on phones/tablets to be used in 'host' mode.

minigts
08-08-2015, 01:35 PM
Thanks Rob. Got two ordered from monoprice. At under $3 per unit, I should have gotten 3 or 4. 😛

wheming
08-10-2015, 08:17 AM
Thanks Rob. Got two ordered from monoprice. At under $3 per unit, I should have gotten 3 or 4. 😛

Yes, considering i just paid $6.91 for a B.I.N. on ebay. Have not tried mine yet. Will have to wait a week.

acannell
08-10-2015, 08:32 AM
I paid $0.98 and mine works fine. Anyone reading this who is even remotely interested in MPSCAN (PC version or not) and has an Android phone, should go buy the usb to go adapter right now, so it doesn't hold them up later. Get the cheapest one on flea bay and who cares about the 2 week delivery time!

minigts
08-10-2015, 09:30 AM
Yes, considering i just paid $6.91 for a B.I.N. on ebay. Have not tried mine yet. Will have to wait a week.

Man if you haven't been to Monoprice, you should check it out some time. They have just about every type of cable and most prices are well below what you'll find online or in a store. Shipping is usually pretty good, couple of days depending on where they ship from. I bought a box of shielded cat6 cable and boots and ends for around $200 for everything.

wheming
08-10-2015, 10:34 AM
I'll try to remember that!
But more than likely, I'll forget when i have additional cabling needs!

minigts
08-12-2015, 12:26 PM
I'll try to remember that!
But more than likely, I'll forget when i have additional cabling needs!

BTW, this is what I paid for two with shipping from Monoprice. I'll let you know if they work, but everything I have purchased from them does.

GRAND TOTAL : $5.18

minigts
08-13-2015, 05:00 PM
Trying to get this to work, I have the OTG adapter. Is there anything else I need to do? I am getting the same error as before, Cannot open port and USB disconnected. The cable when plugged in will be identified by my phone and the tablet I'm working with, a Nexus 8 or 10. Both do the same thing. I am using a cable from Rob that was tested on Windows, so I know the cable is good and will connect.

Are there files I can pull or should other settings be set? I plan to try on the GLHS tonight, but any advice for anyone using it on Android is appreciated.

ShelGame
08-13-2015, 05:03 PM
Trying to get this to work, I have the OTG adapter. Is there anything else I need to do? I am getting the same error as before, Cannot open port and USB disconnected. The cable when plugged in will be identified by my phone and the tablet I'm working with, a Nexus 8 or 10. Both do the same thing. I am using a cable from Rob that was tested on Windows, so I know the cable is good and will connect.

Are there files I can pull or should other settings be set? I plan to try on the GLHS tonight, but any advice for anyone using it on Android is appreciated.

Android recognizes the cable when its plugged in? Then it should work, I think...

minigts
08-13-2015, 05:15 PM
Haha I believe you, just doesn't. My phone says error opening USB port and USB disconnected. The nexus just tells me the USB is disconnected. Checked developer mode and tried it on and off with no luck either way. I have a profile and layout and gauges, just won't connect. Running 4.4.2, the tablet is running 5.1. It's a nexus 7.

wowzer
08-13-2015, 11:43 PM
with the bad luck people are having using a windows pc on LM ecus i'm not surprised MPSDroid doesn't work. just double checking but i assume you made sure the ftdi cable eeprom was programmed correctly, i.e, inverted rx/tx signals? i'ld first make sure you can log with the ftdi cable and a pc before i'ld try the droid and the otg cable. i'll break out my nexus 10 and see if i can get it to work. it's been so long since i tried it i've almost forgot how it works. i'll need to find my logic analyzer also so i can monitor the communications.. maybe this weekend.

minigts
08-14-2015, 02:23 AM
with the bad luck people are having using a windows pc on LM ecus i'm not surprised MPSDroid doesn't work. just double checking but i assume you made sure the ftdi cable eeprom was programmed correctly, i.e, inverted rx/tx signals? i'ld first make sure you can log with the ftdi cable and a pc before i'ld try the droid and the otg cable. i'll break out my nexus 10 and see if i can get it to work. it's been so long since i tried it i've almost forgot how it works. i'll need to find my logic analyzer also so i can monitor the communications.. maybe this weekend.

Should the rx/tx be inverted from that of Windows? I was able to get my PC connected via the same cable I had hooked up. Unfortnuately I can't test that cable again, accidentally closed the door on the cable. Beyond pissed about that. But if the cable is configured with check boxes ticked (on or yes) for the Windows cable, will it be unchecked for MP Scandroid? If it's supposed to be the same, then I'd like to figure out how to get it working. I can program the cable to be inverted on my GLHS, still have that one.

Also for Rob, the adapter for the FTDI cable to the service port under the hood, is there anything special with that? If I take the FTDI cable and wire it directly to the LM (to the right pins of course), should that work? I noticed there were some little things on the chip, but not sure what the purpose of them is. I'll re-program the FTDI cable on the GLHS and see if I can get it to work.

ShelGame
08-14-2015, 06:41 AM
Should the rx/tx be inverted from that of Windows? I was able to get my PC connected via the same cable I had hooked up. Unfortnuately I can't test that cable again, accidentally closed the door on the cable. Beyond pissed about that. But if the cable is configured with check boxes ticked (on or yes) for the Windows cable, will it be unchecked for MP Scandroid? If it's supposed to be the same, then I'd like to figure out how to get it working. I can program the cable to be inverted on my GLHS, still have that one.

Also for Rob, the adapter for the FTDI cable to the service port under the hood, is there anything special with that? If I take the FTDI cable and wire it directly to the LM (to the right pins of course), should that work? I noticed there were some little things on the chip, but not sure what the purpose of them is. I'll re-program the FTDI cable on the GLHS and see if I can get it to work.

It should work. The stuff on the board with my cables is only used for flashing an SBEC.

wowzer
08-14-2015, 08:58 AM
the ftdi cable should be set up the same for both windows and android versions. only need to set it up once.

player1up
08-14-2015, 09:03 AM
I'm having the same "error opening usb port" error on my SMEC. It worked for a little while about 8 months ago ( now that I think about it that was on my old phone ) and I thought it quit working because my phone was full of pics and stuff. I cleared off a bunch of things reinstalled MPScandroid, recreated a simple layout and vehicle profile and it still doesn't work.
Galaxy s4 os 4.4.4

My cable works fine to flash the ecu ( did it twice yesterday ). The odd thing is that if I pull the otc dongle and reconnect it, it recognizes it and wants to open MPScandroid, but whenever I try to click to connect to the ecu it errors out.

Are there any specific options in developer options that need to be check?

ShelGame
08-14-2015, 09:40 AM
You shouldn't have to do anything in developer options.

Does the phone/tablet recognize the cable being plugged in (outside of MPScandroid)? If not, you may need to power the cable externally.

Not all devices supply power to the USB-OTG cable. A good way to check is, connect a USB Thumb drive to your USB-OTG cable. If Android recognizes the thumb drive, the the bus is powered. If not, you need to get a 'Y' cable and power the bus externally.

Most newer high-end devices (from the past 2 years) will be powered. Older than that, or entry level devices maybe not. Galaxy, HTC, Nexus devices should supply power to the USB bus.

wowzer
08-14-2015, 09:52 AM
guys, let me look at mpsd this weekend. it was the first android app i ever did so i'm just surprised it works at all!! the android o/s is very persnickity since it likes to inactivate idle programs and is NOT set up at all to do the serial type transmissions we need. that is why i'm hoping someone develops a simple IC that can poll the ecu and packet up the info that android (and windows) mpscan applications can access via bluetooth. i'm planning on working on the IC setup this fall if others don't first. until then i'll see what i can do with the current setup.

minigts
08-14-2015, 09:57 AM
I'll try and uninstall and then reinstall with the cable connected. The otg cable does power the drive and it is recognized when plugged in. I'll test this later and see if I have any luck. If there shouldn't be any changes from windows to Android, then I don't know what is wrong. It worked fine on my laptop and going to Android doesn't. Maybe it will help to have the cable plugged in during the installation.

player1up
08-14-2015, 10:37 AM
...persnickity... you made my day :) I haven't heard that in ages

What kills me is that I know it used to work...I'm wondering if my usb cable is too long... I'll check in a couple of hrs

minigts
08-14-2015, 10:50 AM
Well I'm assuming others have gotten it to work, so just curious what they did possibly differently than what I'm doing? Unfortunately for me, I have to tinker and will more than likely keep messing with mine, but not sure what all else I can do. :p Regardless, thanks again for the time and effort you put into this Morris, it's greatly appreciated.

CSX321
11-18-2015, 06:08 PM
Well I'm assuming others have gotten it to work, so just curious what they did possibly differently than what I'm doing?
Nope, I can't get it to work on my Nexus 5, either. It usually won't connect, the app dies sometimes, and I can't figure out how to add more than one gauge to a layout in the app. I'm running the latest version and security update of Android 6.0 (Marshmallow), so it's possible there's some incompatibility. MPScan on my laptop does work okay.

@wowzer, I develop Android apps as a sideline (today one of my apps reached #19 in Paid Card Games on Google Play). My "day job" is primarily C#. I'd be happy to help with MPScanDroid development, if you'd like, particularly with LM cars, since I have one.

street_racer
01-22-2016, 08:34 PM
thinking about getting this tablet http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZZOXCOC/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_3?pf_rd_p=1944687622&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B013WCKAOS&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0XPCB82FD455YECC79QF

would this work with mpscan droid? i need a tablet at the track cause they will not let me race with my laptop not mounted to the car and I am having issues with it not connecting so would like to try the andriod software, thanks for any help

Turbo Joe
01-22-2016, 10:10 PM
I wonder how much drugs come with this cable? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Micro-USB-B-Male-to-USB-2-0-A-Female-OTG-Data-Host-Cable-for-Nexus-7-/150997919530?hash=item23282d672a:g:NPEAAOxy66pRqe0 p
but seriously, just catching up on this and was looking for an adapter so i can mess around with this sooner or later. I've got the mpscandroid program installed on my asus tablet and it installed successfully. opened it up and it seems to work but need a cable to test it out. Just wondering if this is working or still a work in progress?

TJ Schulze
01-23-2016, 04:45 AM
thinking about getting this tablet http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZZOXCOC/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_3?pf_rd_p=1944687622&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B013WCKAOS&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0XPCB82FD455YECC79QF

would this work with mpscan droid? i need a tablet at the track cause they will not let me race with my laptop not mounted to the car and I am having issues with it not connecting so would like to try the andriod software, thanks for any help

It should work. I have been using MPScan Droid with my ASUS Transformer Pad since Wowzer first put it out without any issues. At least if you get it through Amazon you can return it if it don't wok

CSX321
01-23-2016, 01:37 PM
I wonder how much drugs come with this cable? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Micro-USB-B-Male-to-USB-2-0-A-Female-OTG-Data-Host-Cable-for-Nexus-7-/150997919530?hash=item23282d672a:g:NPEAAOxy66pRqe0 p
At least it's only $1.99 for shipping!

I can't get MPScanDroid to work on my Nexus 5 running Marshmallow. It rarely will connect, and when it does, I get no communication. The Windows version works fine on my laptop on the same car. I should try a different device, I guess. I have a half dozen Android phones and tablets laying around running versions back to Gingerbread.

wowzer
01-23-2016, 11:02 PM
the current version of mpscandroid is going to be obsolete in a few weeks. it never really was very stable based on the way the android os works in conjuction with the ftdi cable latency. as a result i am not putting any time into fixing bugs or adding features. sorry.

all my efforts now are for the mpscilnk device.

street_racer
01-25-2016, 06:28 PM
the current version of mpscandroid is going to be obsolete in a few weeks. it never really was very stable based on the way the android os works in conjuction with the ftdi cable latency. as a result i am not putting any time into fixing bugs or adding features. sorry.

all my efforts now are for the mpscilnk device.

i see so i guess i will cancel that order and start looking for a windows based tablet that can run mpscan thanks for the heads up

wowzer
01-26-2016, 11:20 AM
don't do that!! what i meant was that i will be redoing the current version of mpscandroid to run using the mpscilnk device via bluetooth vs the current version that uses the ftdi cable. after i get the new version written and i get some free time i may go back and see if i can tweak the ftdi version to be more stable.

wheming
03-13-2016, 10:26 PM
Was going to see if i can get this working for me to have a backup means of logging.
AFRwb doesn't seem to be listed in the ram locations?
Any chance that can be updated simply?
Should this work otherwise?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5lkp8rxfGiYWFkzWXQ3LXNKdkE/view?usp=docslist_api

Thanks!

wheming
03-14-2016, 04:32 PM
Somewhere in the setup post it said you can import your .mpc file from MPScan, but i got failures when trying to do this.
I was trying this to get the AFRwb gauge to log. The AFR ratio that is there looks like a calculated value.

wheming
03-14-2016, 04:49 PM
I don't believe it! I think i figured it out on my own! ;)
I found the mprsettings spreadsheet didn't have all the items that were in the windows version. Updated all the files from the Misc tab, and added the AFRwb gauge! Will have to try on the way into work.

wowzer
03-14-2016, 06:14 PM
do NOT use the AFR gauge (AFRCMD?) that "calculates" the commanded afr. that will not work in the droid version. actually, it never really worked well in the windows version. you probably can use the afr gauge that uses the wideband signal in lieu of the regular narrow band.

originally, the .mpc files could be copied from the windows version to the correct directory on your android phone. it would then load them ok. however, i have added LOTS of new stuff to the windows version that are NOT supported in the old Android FTDI version. assuming you can get the android ftdi version working on your phone, i would only create a gauge layout from scratch using the android version. good luck. i really wouldn't spend a whole bunch of time trying to get the original android version working. :-)

wheming
03-14-2016, 07:28 PM
Yes, when i was trying to get it set up there was only one AFR gauge. I found i had the original files from when first downloaded. I was going to try to add the ram location for the AFRwb, but then tried updating everything in yhe Misc options and it worked.

Here is the log i got using MPScandroid on the way to work. I forgot to add VSS gauge, but have now. Somewhere around the 6500 sample is a 1st gear WOT blast on low boost. Knock voltages are showing more results than my windows version (maybe it is from failed samples?)

This seems to work good Morris! You shouldn't have downplayed it so much. I like it. Hopefully no more fussing with a 14yo laptop at the track with only 1hr of battery life!

Check out the log file, and the eculog text file. Says failed to set to high baud rate. Anything i can do for that?
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5lkp8rxfGiYa2l0RFg1cVFJNnc

I wish i would have tried this more earlier when you had time to support it. I really think there is still alot of benefit for it!

wowzer
03-14-2016, 09:07 PM
wayne - i promise i'll come back to the ftdi setup after the mpscilink stuff is done. it would be a nice alternative to those not wanting to spend the money for the mpscilink device and are ok with giving up bluetooth access and the ability to log analog ports. with what i've learned in developing the new version i should be able to better stabilize the ftdi version.

wheming
03-14-2016, 09:49 PM
I wish i knew how to do any of that programming or developing to help. But i could give some use feedback and some little tweaks that would be value added.
The log i took today looks like it worked well! I need to transfer and pull up the .csv to view.
The playback would be nice to pause or skip to sample #.

wheming
03-14-2016, 10:15 PM
Is there a way to convert .mpl files to .csv outside of MPScan vWindows?

And thank you Morris for all your continued help and support with these projects. This is really great having these tools available to us.

wowzer
03-15-2016, 09:57 AM
the only "hack" you could do is open the mpl file in a text editor and copy the data section to a new text document then import it into excel.

wheming
03-17-2016, 10:52 PM
I'm not in the best mood right now. Trying to do some late tuning since i was re-tasked other stuff all day, and that a story all by itself...
Anyway got a log using the droid version and made an tweak and went to log the return trip....
Well i unplugged the cable with the droid version running (but not actively logging) to plug the cable to the laptop to flash the smec.
On reconnecting to the phone, it would always say usb disconnected. I tried force closing the program, still no reconnect. Tried unplugging and replugging, no connect. Tried uplugging, restarting phone, replug, still nothing.
Finally i thought i'll just have to uninstall the .apk and reinstall.
Went to connect and no profiles, need to create a layout! Ugh! I lost everything.
These data files need to get backed up. So i just f'd myself.

I did send the 2 droid version log files to my laptop, so at least i have that. But i had the layout file, and about 1/2 dozen logs, and the two i just took tonight as the point of the roadtest. I was getting a couple timing retards and wanted to look at those closer.
Ugh. I'm so mad i could punch a monk seal.

wowzer
03-24-2016, 02:57 PM
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=57716&stc=1 here's a screenshot that may be of interest to some members....:eyebrows:

minigts
03-24-2016, 03:18 PM
No go. Just shows an icon, no picture.

wowzer
03-24-2016, 05:59 PM
weird - i can see it perfectly. try this link. can others see this? and if not, why is that?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7GwlNHpPVnCLUwwWVFHU3lVV3c

minigts
03-24-2016, 06:03 PM
Not sure if this is the problem. I put in a request to view it. :)

wowzer
03-24-2016, 06:48 PM
Try it now. The original screenshot didn't show up on my phone either, just on my computer. even though I used the forum upload.

wheming
03-24-2016, 09:20 PM
Oh boy!
Someone is making progress! :D

Here, i'll help out...

iangoround
03-24-2016, 10:24 PM
yaaaaaaaaay!

wowzer
03-25-2016, 09:42 AM
just working on the graphical layouts for the various table types. most are done. probably won't do the ramp tables, 3d tables or calculated tables at this time. too complex and need to either find a 3d graphing library or look at doing my own - so low priority. not sure about the AFR line either. the android o/s is not really a platform to do much fine manipulation or data entry so i'm not going to make it as "full featured" as the regular windows version. once it's released i'll look at updating it based on user feedback.

chromguy has assembled an mpscilink device for me. i need to send him all the beta software so he can do some basic testing before he sends me my test board. hopefully this weekend. i need to add a couple more menu items to the windows versions to help do some maintenance type functions for the mpscilink device. but generally everything is done. getting close.

wheming
03-25-2016, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the update!

minigts
03-25-2016, 05:13 PM
Man if MPScanDroid can work, I will be super excited. I don't mind doing MPTune on my laptop, but it will be nice if we can do both on an Android platform. This will give me a good reason to get a tablet. :D Thanks for the work Morris!

wheming
04-02-2016, 05:19 PM
Morris, did you do something with and update? Somehow i am getting prompted for an update when i start MPScandroid but i show the same version 1.0.0.3

wowzer
04-02-2016, 08:15 PM
I did. I was switching things over to the new version. Forgot there was someone actually using the droid version. I'll set it back . sorry.

**edit**
also, after 4/8 the download site for the old version will no longer exist. hopefully that won't brick the version you're using.

wheming
04-02-2016, 08:38 PM
I did. I was switching things over to the new version. Forgot there was someone actually using the droid version. I'll set it back . sorry.

**edit**
also, after 4/8 the download site for the old version will no longer exist. hopefully that won't brick the version you're using.

Ugh. Can the updated .apk be used?
I'd prefer not to lose all my settings and layout. Will the update overwrite or maintain those data (log, layout, and config files)
I planned to use the droid version this week, and especially friday at the track. I think friday is the 8th!

wowzer
04-03-2016, 01:39 PM
i'll do some testing with my phone on the old version to make sure it doesn't freeze and let you know.

wheming
04-03-2016, 05:28 PM
i'll do some testing with my phone on the old version to make sure it doesn't freeze and let you know.

Thanks Morris!
This is a critical week for me since i really need all my little duckies to play nice and stay lined up in a row.
Hoping for a favorable time at the track Friday. Things seem pretty decent right now.
And i think the droid version actually does a better job than my laptop.

wowzer
04-04-2016, 12:49 AM
wayne, i think i've got all the old ftdi code ported over to the new version. i was testing it tonight on my S4 with the ftdi cable and it seems to work ok. i'll work on it tomorrow or tuesday night again just to make sure and then send it to you to install. that way you'll have a couple days to make sure it works. it seemed a bit slow to me so i'll look at tweaking the code some. main point is to try to eliminate any bugs i may have introduced when i brought over all the old code and integrated it with the bluetooth stuff. only the logging part was completed. i have not had time to work on the read/flash side of things for the ftdi cable.

wheming
04-04-2016, 06:31 AM
Ok. I just need to utilize the logging. I'm running on a Samsung Galaxy S5 Active.

So the logging with the new version seems slower? Can i just opt to not update? Or did you say some part of this old code will not function correctly after the new update is out?
Generally with android i opt to not update most apps that are functioning normally. Been burnt too many times with an update where i lose function or developers include more ads. (I know that isn't the case here). So i maintain backup of the original apk files so i can go back when that happens.

wowzer
04-04-2016, 09:39 AM
hang on to the old apk. however, the new apk should work just as well once i get it all sorted out.

shackwrrr
11-07-2016, 10:29 AM
Where is the default log file save location? I made 4 logs but for the life of me I can't find them on my phone, even with a search.

:found them, had to plug phone in. Without root access I couldn't go to the Android/data folder on the phone itself.

wowzer
11-07-2016, 11:18 AM
did it actually work? :-) didn't realize anybody other than wayne was trying to use it! i probably should send you the latest version. there have been a few changes. i'ld like to see one of the log files if you don't mind.

shackwrrr
11-07-2016, 11:39 AM
did it actually work? :-) didn't realize anybody other than wayne was trying to use it! i probably should send you the latest version. there have been a few changes. i'ld like to see one of the log files if you don't mind.

I just started using it on my van. Worked great. I downloaded this version (2.0.0.0) from your google page. I made up a quick layout and made a few pulls. Did exactly what I wanted it to do. (Could have been faster but I filled the screen with stuff I could trim back a bit)

I wanted to try it a while ago but for some reason my galaxy S5 did not like the OTG adapter I had. My new GS7 works great with no dropouts.

wheming
11-07-2016, 12:11 PM
I just started using it on my van. Worked great. I downloaded this version (2.0.0.0) from your google page. I made up a quick layout and made a few pulls. Did exactly what I wanted it to do. (Could have been faster but I filled the screen with stuff I could trim back a bit)

I wanted to try it a while ago but for some reason my galaxy S5 did not like the OTG adapter I had. My new GS7 works great with no dropouts.

I don't know if that TPSPOS is right. I use TPSv.
The new version seems to be working at least as well as the older one (I actually like it better). I've used both, have the old version on my newer phone (Galaxy S5 Active) and the new mpscandroid2 on the old spare phone (Galaxy SII Skyrocket).
One thing about the old version, I'm not sure if the triggers worked. I have used the trigger sucessfully in the new version.

Morris - it might be helpful to get some data from another user since there is someone else interested in this? If you are ready after those changes to the ram setup for the analog inputs. But that wouldn't affect him.

shackwrrr
11-07-2016, 12:34 PM
Yeah I noticed that the TPS wasn't working in the log. I planned on removing that for now since WOT tuning is really all I'm worried about for a while

wheming
11-07-2016, 02:36 PM
Yeah I noticed that the TPS wasn't working in the log. I planned on removing that for now since WOT tuning is really all I'm worried about for a while

Try using TPSV. I find my WOT TPS volts to read 4v
So, when you are logging you'll know which part was wot.
Also you could set a trigger so it only logs when your TPS is at a certain voltage. I used like 2v, so it can start a log as i go to wot. Set the trigger off at like 1v, so as you lift it stops the log.

wowzer
11-07-2016, 04:43 PM
I don't know if that TPSPOS is right. I use TPSv.
The new version seems to be working at least as well as the older one (I actually like it better). I've used both, have the old version on my newer phone (Galaxy S5 Active) and the new mpscandroid2 on the old spare phone (Galaxy SII Skyrocket).
One thing about the old version, I'm not sure if the triggers worked. I have used the trigger sucessfully in the new version.

Morris - it might be helpful to get some data from another user since there is someone else interested in this? If you are ready after those changes to the ram setup for the analog inputs. But that wouldn't affect him.

Wayne, i tried getting my arduino stuff setup last night and something is fubar'd so couldn't test the new version. i'll look at it later this week. ian, i'll check to see what version is out there and make sure you are using the latest version.

shackwrrr
11-30-2016, 07:25 PM
How do I get a bin into mpscandroid? I get no dialog or options when selecting edit bin. Flash and read are grayed out.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

wheming
11-30-2016, 09:13 PM
How do I get a bin into mpscandroid? I get no dialog or options when selecting edit bin. Flash and read are grayed out.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Not to step on wowzer's toes (or anyone else from the Engineering/Development/Testing Team), That is future functionality that is under development.
You will need the mpscilink device in order to use those functions.

Be patient, it is getting close.

wowzer
11-30-2016, 10:39 PM
wayne is correct. ian, you may want to download the latest mpscandroid version. there's numerous fixes to it. uninstall the original version first. also, after you reinstall make sure the first thing you do is download the layout csv files again by selecting that menu option in mpscandroid.

if you want to experiment with editing bins you should try the following:
1) load a BIN file in mptune
2) click on settings / create mpscilink table file. this should create a .tbl file in the same directory as the bin file
3) rename the files so the main part is only 8 characters, e.g. you would have a test1.bin file and a test1.tbl file
4) copy those 2 tables to the com.mpsuite.mpscandroid/files/bins subdirectory on your phone/tablet.

i don't recall if you need to have the mpscilink device to get access or not. it's been too long since i looked at it.

lmk if that works.

shackwrrr
11-30-2016, 11:57 PM
Thanks for the reply, I'll try that out.

olk93
02-17-2017, 02:48 PM
I copied a couple 3LV6 .bin+.tbl files as suggested above into the folder of my Galaxy-S5. But after selecting which bin to load MPScandroid crashes with "mpscandroid stopped" message.
Maybe because i dont have "link-hardware" ?
If thats the case, cant it be fixed?
I am co-founder of LeBaron Germany (www.lebaron.de) and could have access to many cars from 86-95, especially post 92 models :)

wowzer
02-17-2017, 04:17 PM
I copied a couple 3LV6 .bin+.tbl files as suggested above into the folder of my Galaxy-S5. But after selecting which bin to load MPScandroid crashes with "mpscandroid stopped" message.
Maybe because i dont have "link-hardware" ?
If thats the case, cant it be fixed?
I am co-founder of LeBaron Germany (www.lebaron.de (http://www.lebaron.de)) and could have access to many cars from 86-95, especially post 92 models :)

i'll take a look this weekend. it's really in the beta stage and designed primarily to work with the mpscilink device.

wowzer
02-17-2017, 05:05 PM
i just posted a new version so download it again and reinstall and then copy a bin and tbl file to the com.mpsuite.mpscandroid\files\bins directory on your phone/tablet. e.g. you could try the 093 v6 cal. it really was designed for the turbonator cals so i had to make a small change to work with the old style tbl files. hopefully you should be able to at least get some of the tables to load up.

also, the 3d tables are not set up to work yet (you would need to use the regular mptune program for that).

lmk.

olk93
02-17-2017, 06:16 PM
Wow that was a quick fix - thanks a ton

Have 2 little issues : there seems to be a case-sensitive thing regarding "program stopped".
If you have foo.bin and foo.TBL, but hey i guess everybody providing zips 'n' rars should take care about this :)

Another suggestion would be a "Do you really want quit editing ?" Quit - Continue buttons would be a foolproof solution because hitting (accidently) the Back-button of cellphone/tablet quits the Bin Editor.

Again thx for quick response.

wowzer
02-18-2017, 01:03 PM
posted update. i added exit prompt. was not able to recreate the issue you had with case-sensitive. i capitalized my tbl file and it still worked. i do not think the android OS is case sensitive. lmk if you continue to experience issues.

wheming
02-18-2017, 02:11 PM
posted update. i added exit prompt. was not able to recreate the issue you had with case-sensitive. i capitalized my tbl file and it still worked. i do not think the android OS is case sensitive. lmk if you continue to experience issues.

Which version have you updated for the masses?
Should i avoid that version?

olk93
02-18-2017, 03:04 PM
Wowser Respect!!! You da man :clap:
The exit-routine works perfect, foolproof delux - very nice.

The upper/lowercase issue, assuming it to be the culprit, still persists.

Try download + unzip/copy the contents of this 3.0 V6 cal : 91V6-465 ( http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?30519-Stock-Cal-Repository&p=385334&viewfull=1#post385334 )

When i select this bin in MPScandroid then the app crashes. But hey it is not so important :)

https://picload.org/image/rlggagla/screenshot_2017-02-18-19-43-16.png

wowzer
02-18-2017, 05:08 PM
ok - will give it a try.

wayne, i uploaded the version you are using with a couple additional changes (which should not affect your testing). you could use that also if you want just to make sure you have all the current fixes.

wowzer
02-18-2017, 06:28 PM
olk93, you were correct. i did find the program bug which i fixed and posted a new version. the program will now force all bin/tbl files to lower case so every thing works correctly. thx.

olk93
02-18-2017, 07:17 PM
Wowzer you made a nice nifty fix, works fine, thanx from over the pond :)
Tomorrow i will hook my selfmade ftdi cable (rx/tx inversed + vcp enabled via ft-prog as suggested at bb-site) on my S5. Curious if it will pull off a .bin from my 93v6 Lebaron Sbec2 ?

Stock ECU-Data is on a ST (SGS THOMSON) M28F256-25 eeprom (acc. to datasheet needs 12V for flashing/programming using F-Presto algorithm), hmmm ... wierd i expected to find a 87c257 inside.

https://img3.picload.org/image/rlgrrgcr/sgsthomsonm28f256-lb93v6.jpg

wheming
02-18-2017, 08:01 PM
ok - will give it a try.

wayne, i uploaded the version you are using with a couple additional changes (which should not affect your testing). you could use that also if you want just to make sure you have all the current fixes.

Ok, i'll update AFTER racing tomorrow. I don't need to make the switch right now.
Thanks Morris!

Force Fed Mopar
02-18-2017, 09:26 PM
I think I'm gonna have to try this out soon...

olk93
02-20-2017, 05:43 PM
How do i add ecu descriptions into MPScandroid?

I have a few .bin with matching .tbl (well, many but not all variables, tables, subroutines[MM], interrupts, io locations figured out yet). It's just a question of time ... oops thats a lie :) it's rather a question when "I feel like it" lol

It would be cool to go into Edit Bin -> Select a bin -> Tap on 3 dots top right corner AKA options -> Have a new option called : Set as custom (or my ecu or perhaps a choosable name or just the name of the .bin itself), short whatever makes most sense.

This new (3LV6) .tbl data should then be visible in "Ram Setup", "Ram X-Ref, "Bit Descriptions" and "Ecu Description" as set previously in the "Edit bin".

I guess i found a new MPScandroid-bug (using my Galaxy S5 phone) :
Go into "Miscellaneous" -> "Ram X-Ref"
In the 2nd column look the values for custom, they look little shredded, the width for "custom" seems 2 chars wide and the next item "LM" has no red vertical divider line.

wowzer
02-20-2017, 06:22 PM
unfortunately it's not quite that easy. even though i called it "mpscandroid" it really encompasses not only mpscan features but also mptune features. for example:

1) editing a bin uses the .bin and .tbl files. in the actual binary we are typically looking at address 0x8000 to 0x9000 for example. these "tables" are not modified by the code when the vehicle runs and are burned on to the chip during flashing and are basically lookup values.
2) scanning is based off of the "ram" locations that are inherent in the mcu and not specifically named in the binary but referenced to in the code. these locations are typically at address 0x00 to 0xff. they are temporary working variables used by the code during vehicle operation and are lost when the vehicle is turned off.

so, in short, the table data is completely different then the ram data and is not able to be "easily" retrieved during program execution plus it would make no sense to scan data that does not change!

the scanning is based primarily off of the turbonator cals so the ram locations were generally "fixed" as determined by shelgame when he developed the relocatable code base.

the custom ecu description was added to allow users of non-turbonator cals to manually input the appropriate ram locations to scan, e.g. some of the stock cals have ram variables that do not line up exactly with the turbonator cals. with that being said, however, i do believe i need to look at allowing users to have more than 1 custom setup, especially with the work being done on the v6 and v8 cals. that's a pretty big process so it will take some time to do. plus, mpscandroid was never really used by anyone so the demand for features/changes has been negligible.

i'll look at your comment on the ram x-ref stuff. it's good to have someone starting to look at the program to help locate bugs.

olk93
02-20-2017, 07:49 PM
the custom ecu description was added to allow users of non-turbonator cals to manually input the appropriate ram locations to scan,

See? thats why i asked if MPScandroid could get the ability to read the .tbl and fill in the ram definitions (x-ref etc.) automagically for a custom ECM.

I didnt know that turbonator defines fixed locations for the vars in the 0x00 - 0xFF range, i thought it uses the orig locations as in the original bins. But thats ok, after the assembly it will work anyways. :)

But this is dangerous for the hardware adresses since the eg. port adresses of the CPU and it's mystery companion-chip (PIO1-2-3/a-b-c..) are mapped in different locations for different vintages. Ok, even if turbonator can tell the cpu where to map it's i/o port, then we still have a fixed mapping of the i/o ports and 600? bytes of ram from the "new" PIA chip - 44pin plcc, specs unknown.

Thats also the reason why many .bins dont work in any SBEC, you have broken idling or missing car features like no cruise control or even worse effects. Enabling the missing "feature bits" described in one byte the rom at 0x800C ...like the AC/ATX-MTX/CRUISE etc is a hit and miss, but you know this :)

wowzer
02-20-2017, 08:51 PM
in the original version of mpscan you could run mpscan and tell it to "scan" the asm/lst file which would automatically populate the various grids that you mentioned earlier. all the ram addresses and parameters were "defined" in it. actually, if you look at the smec asm i believe you may still see some of those features. it wouldn't be that hard to set that up again. then as new cals are created a user could load the .lst file and save it as a "custom" layout ......................

olk93
02-20-2017, 10:53 PM
Wowzer my apologies - you are right, i have overseen that the .cal refers only to vars (and stuff) within the .bin area (in general 0x8000-0xffff).

It looks like the actual custom setup in MPScandroid refers (also) to the 91V6-465.bin, just checked 5 random variables (within 0x00-0xff) in x-ref and they all matched the .asm file.

I agree with you that it should not be MPScandroid's job to do the detective work :)

wowzer
02-21-2017, 10:49 AM
i actually added the custom option when a user started working with the 3.0 508 cal, which is basically a stock cal that didn't match up with any of the existing setups. he needed the ability to look at that cal. the 465 cal was part of the same batch i was working on. unfortunately, i should have put more thought into how to add additional non-turbonator cals, vs just having the 1 custom setup. i'll need to do some thinking.

i need to look again at the 508 cal and update it based on the work done on the 4.0 781 cal.

olk93
02-21-2017, 11:51 AM
Would it help to add the xref-data (ram locations / name conventions) for 0x00-0xff into the .tbl ?
Or perhaps create a .xrf file containing the info to be placed in same folder as .bin and .tbl ?
(Have a look into the .lst file, you see the location/datatype (byte or word) and description)

Then MPScandroid could read/parse the file and fill up the appropriate custom column automagically.

I have put an .xrf file here : http://www.filedropper.com/91v6-465

wowzer
02-21-2017, 03:24 PM
that could be a start, but you really need to know what each value represents (e.g. rpm with a range of 0 - 8192) to make it user friendly and the information make sense. i think it would be easier to embed that in the .asm file like we use to. perhaps when a cal is compiled in mptune it could create the "helper" file that could then be read in to mpscan, or alternatively you could have mpscan review the .lst file created during compilation and parse that as mentioned earlier.

let's discuss details/thoughts via pm vs cluttering up this thread with our ideas. thanks.

thedon809
06-29-2017, 07:42 PM
When I try downloading mpscandroid from the first post it says unable to open file. This is on a OnePlus 3T with side loading enabled. Was able to download and install the first version of mpscandroid.

Aries_Turbo
06-29-2017, 09:10 PM
When I try downloading mpscandroid from the first post it says unable to open file. This is on a OnePlus 3T with side loading enabled. Was able to download and install the first version of mpscandroid.

same here. same phone too interestingly enough. (i dont think its related to the not being able to get the file though)

Brian

thedon809
06-29-2017, 09:24 PM
Yeah, unlike a typical apk file it has a bunch of numbers on the end? Not sure if that has something to do with it.

wowzer
06-29-2017, 09:34 PM
hey guys, try it now. it appears that the dropbox link i had was modified somehow by dropbox. weird. hopefully didn't screw up all the other program downloads.....

thedon809
06-29-2017, 09:47 PM
Ok it works now. Now I have to wait till my ftdi or whatever board thingy gets here and get a USB type c otg and I will be good to go until you guys get the scilink all worked out.

wowzer
06-29-2017, 09:49 PM
ok, i need someone to test the ftdi stuff anyhow. it's been a couple years. it is quite a bit slower then the new mpscilink stuff just due to the latency built into the ftdi cable driver.

iangoround
06-30-2017, 12:07 AM
I'll see if I can get this and my TF700 to talk to my FTDI cable and LM.

I'm setting up a profile and I noticed that the program setting labels don't change after you update the value. For example, I changed my default ECU to LM and it says that when I open the menu but the label in the program settings window doesn't change to reflect that. It just stays stuck on SMEC T1.

CSX321
06-30-2017, 12:19 AM
How do I add a second gauge? Can't see a way to do it.

iangoround
06-30-2017, 12:46 AM
Just tried it. I set up a layout and profile, selected it and tried to log some values. I'm waiting for UPS to deliver my new turbo at the moment so the car doesn't run but I did a key-on test.

It looks like it connects. If I press the button in the logging screen it goes green and says logging. But no data is displayed on any of the gauges and it won't even save a log file for me to play back. Not sure if it's a program issue or an issue with my tablet. I'm connecting the USB through the USB port on the keyboard dock. This setup does work pretty well with MPScan on my laptop though.

Long press the first gauge to bring up the menu. Add new gauge is in there somewhere. You have to keep long pressing gauges to bring up that menu. Doing it in empty space doesnt seem to work.

wheming
06-30-2017, 09:32 AM
Just tried it. I set up a layout and profile, selected it and tried to log some values. I'm waiting for UPS to deliver my new turbo at the moment so the car doesn't run but I did a key-on test.

It looks like it connects. If I press the button in the logging screen it goes green and says logging. But no data is displayed on any of the gauges and it won't even save a log file for me to play back. Not sure if it's a program issue or an issue with my tablet. I'm connecting the USB through the USB port on the keyboard dock. This setup does work pretty well with MPScan on my laptop ]

The tablet is seperate from the keyboard (edited)? Like a bluetooth keyboard?
You need to use the usb port on the tablet itself, using a USB on-the-go (OTG) cable adapter. Then the ftdi cable plugs in to that.

Without having a connection when you tried to start a log, you probably got nothing? That is probably why it would not save, because there was nothing there.

When using an ftdi cable and mpscandroid, make sure the connection type is set to usb.
Miscellaneous/Program settings/connection type

wheming
06-30-2017, 09:36 AM

Tap on any current gauge and you get a menu to move, configure, resize, add new gauge, etc.

**One tip, move new gauges out of the way before you add other gauges, since they will appear in the default upper left corner of your layout window. You might have several on top of eachother thinking it didn't work.

wowzer
06-30-2017, 10:24 AM
I'll see if I can get this and my TF700 to talk to my FTDI cable and LM.

I'm setting up a profile and I noticed that the program setting labels don't change after you update the value. For example, I changed my default ECU to LM and it says that when I open the menu but the label in the program settings window doesn't change to reflect that. It just stays stuck on SMEC T1.

after you change the ecu type from the menu selection in program settings you have to get out of that screen and then back in and it SHOULD show the correct value. i'll do some checking to see if i can get it to update immediately.

wowzer
06-30-2017, 10:30 AM
The tablet is seperate from the tablet? Like a bluetooth keyboard?
You need to use the usb port on the tablet itself, using a USB on-the-go (OTG) cable adapter. Then the ftdi cable plugs in to that.

Without having a connection when you tried to start a log, you probably got nothing? That is probably why it would not save, because there was nothing there.

When using an ftdi cable and mpscandroid, make sure the connection type is set to usb.
Miscellaneous/Program settings/connection type

^^ this. i never tried it via a usb hub so i don't know how it will work. i assume you are using an otg cable to connect to the hub? this makes the phone be a usb master.

wowzer
06-30-2017, 10:58 AM
also, i would guess using an lm ecu is going to be very slow. first due to the latency in the ftdi cable and second due to the fact that the lm streams data.

and now the BAD news i just remembered!!! i never set it up to work with the lm (or any ecu that streams bytes fwiw). sorry. i'll need to add some extra code to do this. you can be the guinea pig if you want. i think, though, it will be frustrating for you due to the speed of the logging. what i'll due is burn a t2 smec cal (which streams) and test it with that.

thedon809
06-30-2017, 12:13 PM
I wouldn't mind testing it out. I should be going smec soon enough anyways.

CSX321
06-30-2017, 12:38 PM
I can test with LM in my '87 CSX. I was going to try it later today, but I guess I need to wait for the next version?

wowzer
06-30-2017, 01:19 PM
you'll need to wait... sorry. i need to get my bench unit set up for a smec t2, burn a cal, and then test it out. the android system does not play well with the ftdi cable and the ecu streaming bytes.

iangoround
06-30-2017, 08:08 PM
The tablet is seperate from the keyboard (edited)? Like a bluetooth keyboard?

The tablet docks with the keyboard using the tablet's (weird, asus proprietary) USB port. The OS recognizes that a device is plugged in. MPScanDroid won't even let me click the "start" button unless the cable is plugged in. Maybe it sees it, but isn't communicating properly because it's essentially going through a hub?

iangoround
06-30-2017, 08:14 PM
also, i would guess using an lm ecu is going to be very slow. first due to the latency in the ftdi cable and second due to the fact that the lm streams data.

and now the BAD news i just remembered!!! i never set it up to work with the lm (or any ecu that streams bytes fwiw). sorry. i'll need to add some extra code to do this. you can be the guinea pig if you want. i think, though, it will be frustrating for you due to the speed of the logging. what i'll due is burn a t2 smec cal (which streams) and test it with that.

I mean sure I'll test it out if you think its an avenue worth exploring. Will the sci device you guys are working on work with LMs? Cause if it does, and it saves the hassle of trying to get ftdi code working with the LM then is it really worth it?

wheming
06-30-2017, 08:14 PM
The tablet docks with the keyboard using the tablet's (weird, asus proprietary) USB port. The OS recognizes that a device is plugged in. MPScanDroid won't even let me click the "start" button unless the cable is plugged in. Maybe it sees it, but isn't communicating properly because it's essentially going through a hub?

So the main tablet doesn't have a micro usb port?
Do you have an android phone you can try?

iangoround
06-30-2017, 09:15 PM
So the main tablet doesn't have a micro usb port?
Do you have an android phone you can try?

it does not. i'll have to get a usb otg cable for my phone and try that.

wowzer
06-30-2017, 09:32 PM
the usb to serial driver in android is limited to a select number of identified cables. the ftdi cable is the main one. plus it's the only one that mptune/mpscan supports. you will need the usb otg cable to make your phone/tablet a usb host.

- - - Updated - - -

I mean sure I'll test it out if you think its an avenue worth exploring. Will the sci device you guys are working on work with LMs? Cause if it does, and it saves the hassle of trying to get ftdi code working with the LM then is it really worth it?

the mpscilink device will work with all ecu's. at this point only the smec has been tested, although the sbec should work also. i need to do some testing with it on a smec t2 sometime soon......

wowzer
06-30-2017, 09:37 PM
the usb to serial driver in android is limited to a select number of identified cables. the ftdi cable is the main one. plus it's the only one that mptune/mpscan supports. you will need the usb otg cable to make your phone/tablet a usb host.

minigts
11-09-2017, 07:42 PM
Morris, I have an OTG cable that I use for my Android devices and FTDI and can log on my Windows 10 laptop with MPScan, but when I try to connect my Samsung Tab 3 or my Samsung Edge 7 and use MPScanDroid, I get either USB not connected or the logging button works, but the gauges don't have dials or do anything. On my phone only I've gotten a log file generated, but not on the tablet (Tab 3). Is there any debugging I can do or anything I can teset/work on to see about getting either one to work?

wowzer
11-09-2017, 10:05 PM
i've also got a samsung edge 7 and nexus 10 tablet. i need to do some testing with the drb2 so will pull out the old ftdi cable and get things hooked up that way again. have spent the last year or so purely doing the bluetooth stuff. i'm not quite sure where i left mpscandroid at as far as usb. the problem i was having is the built-in latency of the usb cable in conjunction with the way the android OS works made it virtually impossible to make things reliable, without making it incredibly slow. that's what made me look at doing the mpscilink device.

what ecu are you working with? i can only test on a smec. give me a week or so to take a look at what may be happening.

Also, make sure you manually download the latest version of mpscandroid. there have been a lot of changes. i quit using the autoupdate for a while since things were changing so often. and then make sure you download the latest layout csv files.

wheming
11-10-2017, 01:07 AM
He is on a LM Morris.

wowzer
11-10-2017, 01:16 AM
an LM ecu will totally suck with the mpscandroid program, if it works at all. i'ld pass!!

wheming
11-10-2017, 02:36 AM
Jon also is using an ostrich.
And he joined the mpscilink purchase group.
Will he have any expected issues with that?

minigts
11-13-2017, 11:56 PM
Jon also is using an ostrich.
And he joined the mpscilink purchase group.
Will he have any expected issues with that?

What he said. After talking to Wayne, the issue I understood was the FTDI to OTG to Android process was lacking and the MPSCILink bypassed some of the issues. I should have one in a couple weeks or so, which will tell me whether or not the Ostrich causes an issue. I did power up the screen and saw the menu interface, looks really cool.

wowzer
11-14-2017, 10:41 AM
the ostrich shouldn't have any effect, although you will still need to flash tunes using the ostrich usb cable vs the mpscilink device. all communications take place through the sci port only.

wheming
11-14-2017, 11:49 AM
So for now Jon, if you need logging capabilities, use MPScan until the new device arrives.

However, the layout you setup in MPScandroid will be able to be used with MPSciLink so it wasn't wasted effort setting things up.

minigts
11-14-2017, 12:42 PM
the ostrich shouldn't have any effect, although you will still need to flash tunes using the ostrich usb cable vs the mpscilink device. all communications take place through the sci port only.

That's fine, it's the only way that it works anyway without jacking up the ability to load a tune. I went a while with making incremental changes that had no effect because something in the Ostrich stopped loading the new cal to the computer. It was really weird because MPTune would show it loaded fine and the car ran, but the updates that were being made weren't being realized at all. No idea when it happened, but when Cordes and I were trying to tune the car, we at some point realized the issue. After dropping the PE table to around 5% with no change, it was obvious that the cal loading wasn't working. Had to reset the Ostrich, but as soon as I did that fixed that issue. So for now I plan to not use MPScan on my laptop and just wait for the MPSCILink device.

So for now Jon, if you need logging capabilities, use MPScan until the new device arrives.

However, the layout you setup in MPScandroid will be able to be used with MPSciLink so it wasn't wasted effort setting things up.

Yep, just need my device and I'll be good.......still waiting though.... :-| ;)

Aries_Turbo
11-14-2017, 01:12 PM
Jon, didn't your old charger have a smec swap?

wowzer
11-14-2017, 04:06 PM
if you are using the ostrich you should be able to run mptune and mpscan at the same time. each uses their own usb cable. mptune will interface with the ostrich and mpscan will use the sci port via the ftdi cable. the only thing that will change with the mpscilink device is that you will now connect the sci port directly to it and use mpscandroid or the nextion display instead for scanning, mptune will still do the flashing.

minigts
11-17-2017, 01:41 AM
Jon, didn't your old charger have a smec swap?

I did. Still have the setup, but like the simplicity of the lmsince it's the stock electronics.

if you are using the ostrich you should be able to run mptune and mpscan at the same time. each uses their own usb cable. mptune will interface with the ostrich and mpscan will use the sci port via the ftdi cable. the only thing that will change with the mpscilink device is that you will now connect the sci port directly to it and use mpscandroid or the nextion display instead for scanning, mptune will still do the flashing.

Well I'm not saying it can't work simultaneously, I just know that at some point updating my cal stopped working and I'm not sure why. There may be conflicts with the two FTDI cables when they are both connected. They sometimes didn't work unless I unplugged and then replugged them back in. Not blaming the software, just now avoid running MPscan when I update the cal.

MoparStephen
03-04-2018, 04:39 PM
Very late to the party here. I've installed MPScandroid to my phone, and am watching some of the YouTube tutorials. I've also began assembly of my MpSciLink 2.5 device. I have an 87 Daytona with LM module, an FTDI cable I've been logging via MPScan, and I do also have an Ostrich module. When I test logging, it will have to mostly be in my driveway as the transmission is in a really bad way.

Aries_Turbo
03-04-2018, 11:19 PM
Very late to the party here. I've installed MPScandroid to my phone, and am watching some of the YouTube tutorials. I've also began assembly of my MpSciLink 2.5 device. I have an 87 Daytona with LM module, an FTDI cable I've been logging via MPScan, and I do also have an Ostrich module. When I test logging, it will have to mostly be in my driveway as the transmission is in a really bad way.

go into misc->program settings and select LM as the default ecu type.

then create your layout and save it.

then create your profile and choose LM as the type.

i did one of these out of order and my setup wouldnt log.

i deleted everything (didnt have much setup so it wasnt a big deal) and did things in that order and it worked perfect.

i did a simple layout of TPS volts as the only gauge. that way you dont have to start the car to keep things simple.

then set up a layout of whatever you want.

Brian

wowzer
03-05-2018, 11:10 AM
go into misc->program settings and select LM as the default ecu type.

then create your layout and save it.

then create your profile and choose LM as the type.

i did one of these out of order and my setup wouldnt log.

i deleted everything (didnt have much setup so it wasnt a big deal) and did things in that order and it worked perfect.

i did a simple layout of TPS volts as the only gauge. that way you dont have to start the car to keep things simple.

then set up a layout of whatever you want.

Brian

good summary brian. btw, as users begin to experiment with the programs i'm open to feed back on how to improve it/make it more intuitive. up until this point it was just to get something out there to see how it worked with our ecus. i am NOT an experienced android OS programmer so initially i was just happy to get something that functioned!!

MoparStephen
03-05-2018, 02:53 PM
Sounds good - thanks. I'll need to keep things simple like this, I have decided it's time to just bite the bullet and begin removing the transmission so I can do a full teardown again. I'll also be removing the engine to do a 5-year teardown and inspection, as well as to hopefully find and stop the last of the oil leaks. This thing has leaked oil for the entire 11 years I've owned it despite my best efforts. I should christen it the Exxon Valdez.

Aries_Turbo
03-05-2018, 05:15 PM
good summary brian. btw, as users begin to experiment with the programs i'm open to feed back on how to improve it/make it more intuitive. up until this point it was just to get something out there to see how it worked with our ecus. i am NOT an experienced android OS programmer so initially i was just happy to get something that functioned!!

youve made something that works. thats more than us niche beggars can hope for :)

that said, if i come across something i think could be easier, ill let you know. like i did in the past for MPTune...... before babies lol.

Sounds good - thanks. I'll need to keep things simple like this, I have decided it's time to just bite the bullet and begin removing the transmission so I can do a full teardown again. I'll also be removing the engine to do a 5-year teardown and inspection, as well as to hopefully find and stop the last of the oil leaks. This thing has leaked oil for the entire 11 years I've owned it despite my best efforts. I should christen it the Exxon Valdez.

mine was like that for a long time. it didnt leak alot of oil though, it burned it..... because my oil drainback for the turbo was ghetto. i pulled mine after i broke a gearbox and fixed alot of that stuff. now it can idle for hours without burning oil. before, it was minutes lol.

Brian

knownenemy
03-05-2018, 08:25 PM
𗂖 following 𗂖

Man, although I ordered the MPSciLink device, I have ZERO experience with using MPScan or MPTune.
I’m having trouble downloading MPScandroid due to my crappy internet service. But I’m going to get it ASAP!!! I’ve got a lot to learn!

Thank you for your help! 👍🏻

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thedon809
03-30-2018, 08:14 PM
I have mpscandroid hooked up to my LM with mpscilink and it appears to work in some capacity. For some reason the RPM pid doesn't work in mpscandroid. It says that it's an afr gauge that is not supported.

wowzer
03-31-2018, 11:41 AM
send me your .mpc file. make sure you have changed the default ecu type to LM in the program settings screen before you add a new layout. the rpm gauge name should say RPMLM.

thedon809
03-31-2018, 12:16 PM
send me your .mpc file. make sure you have changed the default ecu type to LM in the program settings screen before you add a new layout. the rpm gauge name should say RPMLM.Im not sure why but it initially didn't say RPMLM, just RPM. I went back to where you add the gauge and now it does. It works fine. Another question. I have the 7" screen with mpscilink but no SD card (ordered). With the screen, I cannot monitor data UNLESS I log with my phone first every time I start the car. If I log with the phone first, then monitor works good. I can even disconnect my phone afterwards and monitor will work fine until I restart car and then I have to hook phone back up. Is it because I have no SD card yet or is it supposed to work like this? I know to log and save I will need the SD.

wowzer
03-31-2018, 12:25 PM
i'll need to test that. don't think i ever tried it without an SD card!! it's suppose to save all the gauge setup data into Eeprom so it shouldn't need the sdcard.

thedon809
03-31-2018, 01:10 PM
i'll need to test that. don't think i ever tried it without an SD card!! it's suppose to save all the gauge setup data into Eeprom so it shouldn't need the sdcard.The layout with all of the pids will be saved when i go to monitor tab. Its just that the start button does nothing until i hook phone up and press log with mpscandroid first. SD card should be here sometime next week hopefully. I still have to drive the car but it appears to work pretty decently with the LM so far. Once i get the SD card i will hook my aem wideband to the mpscilink.

Aries_Turbo
07-22-2018, 08:43 PM
morris,

for the fuel adaptive cells, i see the defaults for logging/gauge setup are 0-100. do you know what the 0 point is? where its adding fuel and where its subtracting fuel?

i would think that there would be a range like -25%-0%-+25% if that makes sense.

i thought that it couldnt pull as much fuel as it could add as well..... but i may be wrong.

Brian

Aries_Turbo
07-22-2018, 09:42 PM
RICH LEAN
(ecu is removing fuel) (ecu is adding fuel)
80------------ff |ST0ICH| 01------------7F

r1=1850rpm

this is what i have kicking around in my files for how the adaptives work.

Brian

wowzer
07-22-2018, 11:04 PM
i assume you are talking about the autocalcells? i'll take a look at the code later this week.

Aries_Turbo
07-23-2018, 08:13 AM
Yes autocal cells. Thanks

While you are in there, can you take a look at the waste gate adaptive cells as well for what the range is.

Thanks

Brian

Aries_Turbo
07-24-2018, 09:43 PM
ran into another issue.

so CHRG for charge temp..... it wasnt displaying valid data. (89 T1 smec btw with the sensor installed and the checkbox checked in mptune)

i tried to change the ram locations stuff to match the coolant temp sensor but it doesnt display charge temp correctly. it seems to be the inverse. like the coolant temp started out at 79degF and the charge temp was 97degF. as the vehicle warmed up, the charge temp went lower and the coolant temp went higher.

any thoughts?

thanks

Brian

Aries_Turbo
07-30-2018, 05:42 PM
more being a pest.

would it be hard or easy to add "export layouts and profiles" so i could copy my setup to mpscandroid on my tablet so i dont have to do the setup all again?

or can i just copy the android data to the other device?

thanks

Brian

wowzer
07-30-2018, 05:56 PM
more being a pest.

would it be hard or easy to add "export layouts and profiles" so i could copy my setup to mpscandroid on my tablet so i dont have to do the setup all again?

or can i just copy the android data to the other device?

thanks

Brian

hmm, been a while since i looked at this. i think you should be able to take the .mpc file from your windows computer and copy it to the same directory on mpscandroid. in mpscandroid there is a "droid ppi" setting that should be set depending on the resolution of your android device. hopefully that should keep the dimensions/layout fairly similar between platforms.

i don't think you can copy the profiles at this point.

Aries_Turbo
07-30-2018, 06:39 PM
hmm, been a while since i looked at this. i think you should be able to take the .mpc file from your windows computer and copy it to the same directory on mpscandroid. in mpscandroid there is a "droid ppi" setting that should be set depending on the resolution of your android device. hopefully that should keep the dimensions/layout fairly similar between platforms.

i don't think you can copy the profiles at this point.

hmmm dont the profiles get saved to the .mpc file? or is that the layout?

ill try to copy the 3 mpc files that i have made. :)

thanks

Brian

wowzer
07-30-2018, 08:40 PM
just the layout gets saved in the .mpc file in the mpc directory. the profiles are in there own folder call prog. i used some stupid proprietary android file type when i wrote the program instead of using an xml type file for the profiles. i need to change that in mpscandroid so you can copy the profiles over also. on my list.

wheming
07-30-2018, 10:56 PM
Once you know the file folder locations, its easy to transfer files between devices.

I've been doing it all the time with adding a tablet, and using mpscandroid on 2 different phones. And exporting alot of logs.

Be sure to copy the usergaugesettings file also.

Aries_Turbo
07-30-2018, 11:47 PM
im glad i brought it up for others rather than just texting you wayne. :)

ill shoot you a text, try it and then post the procedure. :)

Thanks

Brian

PS, thanks morris for all the work you do for this stuff. :)

iangoround
08-10-2018, 10:47 PM
I've run in to this issue too. Is it as simple as reversing the scale for that one?

ran into another issue.

so CHRG for charge temp..... it wasnt displaying valid data. (89 T1 smec btw with the sensor installed and the checkbox checked in mptune)

i tried to change the ram locations stuff to match the coolant temp sensor but it doesnt display charge temp correctly. it seems to be the inverse. like the coolant temp started out at 79degF and the charge temp was 97degF. as the vehicle warmed up, the charge temp went lower and the coolant temp went higher.

any thoughts?

thanks

Brian

Aries_Turbo
08-11-2018, 08:19 PM
I've run in to this issue too. Is it as simple as reversing the scale for that one?

im not sure.

i tried to reverse the scale but i may have been doing it wrong cause it didnt work.

does it work in mpscan?

Brian

iangoround
08-11-2018, 10:48 PM
I don't recall if it was displaying correctly in mpscan now...

I went in to the ram definitions on mpscandroid and saw that the ECU range for CHRG was like -196 to 240 or something like that. I changed it the -196 to 0 and the number I got while cruising around today was 110ish..which makes sense but I can't vouch for the accuracy.

I'm not sure if the ECU range should be -40 to 260 to match the sensor scale, or 0-5.

Aries_Turbo
08-12-2018, 08:40 AM
I don't recall if it was displaying correctly in mpscan now...

I went in to the ram definitions on mpscandroid and saw that the ECU range for CHRG was like -196 to 240 or something like that. I changed it the -196 to 0 and the number I got while cruising around today was 110ish..which makes sense but I can't vouch for the accuracy.

I'm not sure if the ECU range should be -40 to 260 to match the sensor scale, or 0-5.

i just re-found these values in a thread on TD from a long time ago. i remember using them back in the day when i used my wideband to log 0-5v stuff.

intake temps

0 deg = 4.70 volts
20 deg = 4.47
40 deg = 4.11
60 deg = 3.67
80 deg = 3.08
100 deg = 2.51
120 deg = 1.97
140 deg = 1.52
160 deg = 1.17
180 deg = .86
200 deg = .65
220 deg =.48
240 deg = .35
260 deg = .28

Coolant Temp Sensor Response Chart
110 degs = 4.20 volts
120 = 4.00
130 = 3.77
140 = 3.60
150 = 3.40
160 = 3.20
170 = 3.02
180 = 2.80
190 = 2.60
200 = 2.40
210 = 2.20
220 = 2.00
230 = 1.80
240 = 1.62
250 = 1.45
Temperature to Resistance
32 degs = 30 - 35 K ohms
77 degs = 9 - 11 K ohms
212 degs = 640 - 720 ohms

so the coolant temp and the charge temp are handled differently. these coolant temp values are after the car warms up some and the ecu selects a different bias resistor for accuracy when the car is warm.

so it looks like you could use -260 to 0 but make the min and max voltages be .28 and 4.7? or interpolate those values to find out what the scale is for 0-5v.

Brian

wowzer
08-12-2018, 09:44 AM
this is what i used for mpscan for the ambient air temp and charge temp sensors:

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?79027-battery-ambient-air-temp-scale

wowzer
08-12-2018, 10:11 AM
so, it looks like i never implemented the "function sets" stuff in mpscandroid, only mpscan. so......

1) can you check the coolant temp and charge temp values you get in mpscan? if they appear correct then i'll add that routine in mpscandroid.

Aries_Turbo
08-12-2018, 01:18 PM
so, it looks like i never implemented the "function sets" stuff in mpscandroid, only mpscan. so......

1) can you check the coolant temp and charge temp values you get in mpscan? if they appear correct then i'll add that routine in mpscandroid.

in mpscan i see the function set stuff for charge temp, ambient temp and tps but not coolant temp.

charge temp and coolant temp you have display min as -40 and display max as 260.

ecu min for charge temp is 0 and max is 5

ecu min for coolant is -198.4 and max is 260.6.

does function set overwrite the gauge setting stuff?

Brian

wowzer
08-12-2018, 01:55 PM
function sets allow a non linear graph and DO override the corresponding default gauge settings. don't know why i never set up the coolant gauge. maybe it seemed the default settings worked.

display min/max don't affect the calc, only the display.

since charge temp uses the function set, it returns a voltage which is then converted to degrees based on the function settings. i suppose you could have it return degrees also and then convert those degrees to the alt scale but that gets confusing.

coolant temp range returns degrees based on the ecu min/max.

the way the function sets work is that there are x:y ordinal pairs separated by a semicolon. so, e.g., the first charge temp pair says that when the ecu returns a voltage of 0, convert that to 261 degrees. similarly, when the ecu returns a .35 voltage, convert that to 240 degrees. other voltages are interpolated as needed.

so, 2 things. first need to confirm if those settings are correct and secondly, i need to test to make sure that mpscan handles it correctly and then implement it in mpscandroid.