PDA

View Full Version : question on removeing p-body window sweeps and chanels

Fox
09-25-2013, 10:31 PM
so i need to remove the window sweep trim and the rubber window seal to paint the car, how is this done?
it seems like the window needs to be removed but its also rivited to the door or something

crusty shadow
09-26-2013, 03:11 AM
the window sweep trim is just held in place by Phillips head screws from the back side. remove the door panel and you will be able to gain access to the screws. remove them and it just lifts off. the weather seal around the window is a bit more difficult, there are locking clips that hold the weatherstrip in place, and it is difficult to get out without damaging the clips and the weatherstrip. I just tucked the rubber exterior lip inside the window channel and covered it with tape. after paint, remove tape and pull the exterior lip back out over the door frame like it was. leaves no tape lines when done and much easier than trying to completely remove the weatherstrip.

Fox
09-26-2013, 03:25 AM
i'd do that but it needs to be replaced since its all cracked and falling apart, ive partially removed one before in the junkyard but it didnt come off past the 90 degree bend part

on the window scraper, i saw the screws but its hard to get access to the back ones with the window in the way, did you use a L shaped screw driver for those or is muy window just not going down all the way

4 l-bodies
09-26-2013, 12:21 PM
you need to remove the window stop by drilling the aluminum rivets out. window will then drop down far enough to get to screws. it is still tough to get to a couple of them.

135sohc
09-26-2013, 06:02 PM
if you roll the window down and look in the vertical metal channel that is inside the rubber one you'll see a couple rivet heads. Each one of those rivet heads is a location of the metal clip that holds everything snapped into place. On the outside peel back the rubber channel and you'll just barely see the clip where its snapped into the door. A small slotted screw driver and ALOT of patience are the only two things that will remove them without doing damage.

Fox
09-26-2013, 11:55 PM
thanks guys i will check it out, if anyone has some useable ones for sale lmk, there isnt many 2 door cars in the yards around here anymore

rich tideswell
09-28-2013, 09:23 AM
thanks guys i will check it out, if anyone has some useable ones for sale lmk, there isnt many 2 door cars in the yards around here anymore

why hunt for used when you can have new? http://www.omnipotentparts.com/

Fox
09-28-2013, 11:09 PM
thats only one of the parts i need, the window channels for both sides (part the window rides on) is what i'm looking for used, also need a nice set of pre 89 door handles for a shadow

removed the window channels today, only one problem, the part with the clips (vertical area) is still stuck in the door- i'm going to work on that tomorrow

Fox
09-30-2013, 11:59 PM
well i got the channels completely out, i see the clips now, good thing these where bad they got pretty mangled during removal, the next time it will go alot smoother
is there anything diffrent between the 87-89 and the 91-91 , they do look the same

crusty shadow
10-06-2013, 04:40 AM
you don't need to drill anything out to remove the window sweeps. you need to remove the door glass and you will then have full access to the screws that hold it in place. once you have the door panels off you will see the access holes in the inner door skin but the glass is in the way. you need to remove the door glass to replace the weatherstrip anyway if you haven't already. once you have the door stripped bare you install the weatherstrip, the window sweep then the door glass and you're done, no muss no fuss. make sure to use new door glass retaining clips- the little plastic things on the back edge of the glass that ride up and down in the weatherstrip. you can buy them new from most parts stores in the Help! section.

ajakeski
10-06-2013, 07:31 AM
well i got the channels completely out, i see the clips now, good thing these where bad they got pretty mangled during removal, the next time it will go alot smoother
is there anything diffrent between the 87-89 and the 91-91 , they do look the same

91-94 window sweepsw ere shorter than the early style, so the part of the window channel that slips over the door is a bit longer near the sweep.

Fox
10-06-2013, 07:33 AM
yea i didnt drill, removed the entire window, 1 clip is missing from the window so will be getting those and the glass tinted, makeing a trip to the junkyard today to make an atempt removing some good window channels, hopefully i get 1 good pair from the 12 cars that are there...