PDA

View Full Version : New radiator for the Horizon GLH-T

Una
08-26-2006, 07:54 PM
Have a seat, I'm kinda long winded.
So I put that nice NPR intercooler in my Horizon a couple weeks back. Works great, but the car promptly started overheating all the time. Drat.. Figures with that horribly inefficient TBI radiator I had in there. But I had stuck with that radiator because it's about 3/4" or so narrower than all the T1 L body radiators I had. I needed that 3/4", as the TBI radiator actually RUBBED the outlets on the intercooler, it was a very close fit already. So I figured best bet was to have a radiator shop build me something custom. So I went to Performance Radiator with my POS TBI radiator. They made me a nice THICK brass radiator. Like 2" thick, it's just about the same width as the TBI radiator, maybe 1/4" narrower. Same mounts as the TBI radiator. I paid a helluvalot for the radiator, but the quality is amazing. I think the thing weighs about 20lbs, nice THICK tanks on the thing. I had them put the inlet in the same place as the TBI radiator, and the outlet is down on the bottom of the opposite side, so it should be able to use a Daytona lower radiator hose, maybe shortened some. I haven't mounted it in the radiator yet, but should do that later this evening. I plan to battle test the radiator later this weekend by towing my Daytona about 20 miles with the Horizon.. hehe.. I'll post pictures of it installed in the Horizon later this evening.. :) For now, here are a couple pictures of the radiator. :)

WVRampage
08-28-2006, 10:47 PM
Nice looking,I was thinking of having one done for me a while back,they were gona put a 3 row core in my stock HD L-Body rad.The reason I didnt was it cost a bit.

Una
09-04-2006, 03:12 AM
hehe, yeah, it cost a helluvalot.. Oh well, it's done now and I don't have to worry about it anymore. I got it installed now. Works great, of course. I had to chop a small section out of the bottom of the fan shroud to get it to clear the front motor mount.. hehe.. Fan itself clears just fine. Lower radiator hose routing is flat out insane.. I didn't think about the automatic tranny being down there where the outlet is. So the hose was a ----- to get on, makes a wicked tight turn, then will be rubbed hardcore as it goes past all the ports on the front of the transmission. I tried several different lower rad hoses, and several different routes, I ended up going OVER the front motor mount with the hose, then dipping down to get to the water pump. It's a screwy route, and the center of the hose is kind of a high point.. It's a necessary evil, at least until I swap to a 5 speed transmission, if I even even do that..
Other than that, everything went great, I'll put some miles on it soon and see how it holds up. Hopefully the radiator hose doesn't rub through really quickly.

90Dodgevnt
09-04-2006, 08:26 AM
What did it run ya cost wise ?

Una
09-04-2006, 12:26 PM
$500 after tax.. Exactly what I sold my GLHS for..