PDA

View Full Version : Small quiet muffler for 3.0

Daytana
09-12-2013, 10:42 PM
Hi, I have a side exit exhaust (straight through with the exception of the stock resonator) on my 3.0 Lebaron and while it was awesome at first the drone is starting to get to me. Any one have reccomendations of a small quiet muffler (non offset only) to fit in the area as soon as the downpipe ends underneath the "tunnel area"? Thanks in advance.

Vigo
09-13-2013, 01:13 AM
That area is actually really long. So by small what you really mean is 'small diameter'. You can get 2.5" glasspacks with a 30-40" case length for under $50.

Magnaflow has a new center-in center-out round case 3-chamber muffler that you can get in a long case length but it is a 7" case diameter which is really pushing it for that location. I've thought about trying it on one of my cars but i like my cars lowered a lot and i think that 7" diameter wouldnt work on a really low car because the muffler would be too low.

Daytana
09-13-2013, 02:25 AM
That area is actually really long. So by small what you really mean is 'small diameter'. You can get 2.5" glasspacks with a 30-40" case length for under $50.

Magnaflow has a new center-in center-out round case 3-chamber muffler that you can get in a long case length but it is a 7" case diameter which is really pushing it for that location. I've thought about trying it on one of my cars but i like my cars lowered a lot and i think that 7" diameter wouldnt work on a really low car because the muffler would be too low.

Even glasspacks are fairly loud, looking for something along the lines of a dynomax turbo muffler or even a plain non performance muffler at this point. Would like to keep the stock resonator in place too. No I am not running a cat, looking for something to go where the cat normally sits on the 4 cylinder cars.

Ondonti
09-13-2013, 04:47 AM
Make sure the exit sticks out far beyond the body of the car, this really helps. Its awkward but it works.

Vigo
09-13-2013, 12:24 PM
Uh, isnt the stock resonator pinched down to like 1 7/8" diameter inside? Why do you want to keep that? I would tear that out and run a longer muffler. It'll do more for your noise level than a small muffler and a stock resonator.

The area where the cat goes is pretty large. You can even run an oval-case muffler like a super-turbo you mentioned right there. I think if you look at muffler 'types' you'll see most of the relatively quiet ones are chambered design, so that's probably what you're looking for.

Also, i know this doesnt help you to know this but your noise problem is probably mostly rpm related. I've had side exit on my aries for almost 10 years and after i swapped to 5spd it went from too loud to pretty quiet at a cruise. It currently has a 3" side exit system with a short round case magnaflow stainless SS-mesh muffler (a fancy glasspack) and a short glasspack down the middle.

Rrider
09-13-2013, 05:38 PM
There are some center in center round mufflers that marketed for RV fitment that are very long and probably quiet. Since they are for large motors they may not flow too bad either.

Ondonti
09-14-2013, 04:04 AM
Low 2000's rpm is where drone is the worst with a 3" for me. I like to run tall tires and that makes it worse since that keeps rpms low. For some reason I also feel that it is throttle depended. Lugging it around at higher throttles just makes that noise at low rpms.

shackwrrr
09-14-2013, 07:45 AM
Moroso spiralflow is compact and cuts the drone a lot. I had one on my shadow when it was side pipe. They are really short so you could run two.

Daytana
09-15-2013, 04:11 AM
Picked up one of these today. For around 30 bux couldn't beat it. It's flat design fits right into the area where the cat nomally sits (on the 4 cylinders) and should quiet the car quite a bit while not hindering flow. Got it hung, just have to get it welded and figure out some hangers. I will post pics upon completion just to show its small footprint.

http://streetperformanceusa.com/images/M48967851.jpg

jonnymopar
09-16-2013, 12:09 PM
Let us know how it works out. I went the long-glasspack-down-the-middle route and I'm sick of it. Even with a rear exit exhaust, it still drones like crazy.

Vigo
09-16-2013, 01:30 PM
Is your car automatic as well?

jonnymopar
09-16-2013, 03:53 PM
Not anymore. It's a 555 now.

Vigo
09-16-2013, 05:53 PM
I guess the 3.85 could be making the difference, but im not sure. I had a 3.85 555 in my aries for a while with the side exit but i dont remember anything from back then.. It currently has a 3" side exit with two short glasspack-type mufflers and i didnt find it loud when just cruising on the highway.

Daytana
09-16-2013, 07:39 PM
Uh, isnt the stock resonator pinched down to like 1 7/8" diameter inside? Why do you want to keep that? I would tear that out and run a longer muffler. It'll do more for your noise level than a small muffler and a stock resonator.

The area where the cat goes is pretty large. You can even run an oval-case muffler like a super-turbo you mentioned right there. I think if you look at muffler 'types' you'll see most of the relatively quiet ones are chambered design, so that's probably what you're looking for.

Also, i know this doesnt help you to know this but your noise problem is probably mostly rpm related. I've had side exit on my aries for almost 10 years and after i swapped to 5spd it went from too loud to pretty quiet at a cruise. It currently has a 3" side exit system with a short round case magnaflow stainless SS-mesh muffler (a fancy glasspack) and a short glasspack down the middle.

At this point I just want something that outperformed the stock muffler and quieted me done some. It may neck done but it's still fairly straight through, I'm happy with it for now. Doubt it would make that much of a difference, already removed my horribly clogged cat. Car actually feels quicker with a muffler than just straight pipe/stock resonator. :thumb:

- - - Updated - - -

Let us know how it works out. I went the long-glasspack-down-the-middle route and I'm sick of it. Even with a rear exit exhaust, it still drones like crazy.

The Super Turbo Muffler is the truth! :D No more drone and raspyness; just a nice "tuned" sound that sounds better than stock. Definitely worth it! Will post pics and a sound clip when I have the chance.

jonnymopar
09-17-2013, 09:56 AM
I guess the 3.85 could be making the difference, but im not sure. I had a 3.85 555 in my aries for a while with the side exit but i dont remember anything from back then.. It currently has a 3" side exit with two short glasspack-type mufflers and i didnt find it loud when just cruising on the highway.

Here's the thing: either I'm getting older, or it's louder than it was when I first put it on there. I've pretty much daily-driven it like that for 5 years now, excluding winters. My wife and I took it for a long trip last month, and 65mph and under, it's great. By the time you get to 75mph, it's loud.

The last time this car was automatic, it was a 2.5 turbo with a complete stock exhaust, so I really don't have any comparison relative to gearing.

Vigo
09-17-2013, 11:13 AM
Ive heard for years about glasspacks blowing out or getting louder over time and i dont think ive ever experienced that. I wonder if it's something that only happens in other climates. As for the 75mph thing, im guessing at 75 with a 3.85 trans you are getting up to those rpms where it really starts to get loud.

If i ever get around to trying one of those 30+" long 7" case straight-through 3-chamber (which is technically true!) magnaflows i'll be sure to report back. I think it could potentially make a side-exit fairly quiet even with a large pipe while still being turbo-friendly on backpressure.

Vader85
05-05-2014, 12:24 AM
Picked up one of these today. For around 30 bux couldn't beat it. It's flat design fits right into the area where the cat nomally sits (on the 4 cylinders) and should quiet the car quite a bit while not hindering flow. Got it hung, just have to get it welded and figure out some hangers. I will post pics upon completion just to show its small footprint.

http://streetperformanceusa.com/images/M48967851.jpg

What size is your piping? your should invest into this product they brag on their ability to remove drone and reduce volume without hurting performance....MBRP! Sorry to tell you but that DynoMax won't make 2years B4 it's rusted from the inside out!

http://markenperformance.com/files/Upload%20Pics/MBRP/mbrp_muffler_cutaway_marken_performance.jpg (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&docid=6WqfL6NfTQmZEM&tbnid=Uhe2Y6SQlf3UGM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmarkenperformance.com%2Fn-8318-mbrp-mustang-cat-back-ford-ecoboost-crossover-pipe-ford-intercooler-pipe.html&ei=dhFnU7LsAer48AG_kIGoDA&bvm=bv.65788261,d.b2U&psig=AFQjCNE0ZbtlXZD2_txWeJGp8eBrqw-46A&ust=1399349949476728)

http://mbrpautomotive.com/?page=products&part=R1017

http://mbrpautomotive.com/?page=products&part=R1016