PDA

View Full Version : GLHS power steering questions--

87glhs
09-06-2013, 07:10 AM
Well, my post from yesterday on this subject seems to have mysteriously vanished-- Would appreciate the common courtesy of a PM if one of my postings is removed for some reason, or relocated. Thanks!

Issue--The power steering pump in my wife's '87 GLHS Charger started leaking oil a few weeks ago. My son and I were finally able to remove it yesterday and I've been researching replacements, which has left me at a loss given that the GLHS's were supposed to have "quick ratio" type Saginaw pumps.

So, questions:

--In looking at replacement pumps (at the major auto chains) I'm not seeing any notes about "shelby" or "quick ratio" pumps. They all seem to be standard. Is there a specific vendor that stocks the correct pump for the GLHS?

--In doing some searches I've run across references to guys using "ZF" pumps. Who made these (who is ZF?), what did they come on, and are there any that will bolt-up to the Saginaw bracketry? Do they use the same hose connection as the Saginaw?

Thanks--

Steve in VA
09-06-2013, 07:58 AM
The plastic can style pumps are ZF pumps. I would not use those in an L-body. Brackets are weird and they might not fit with the 2 piece intake. Plus they use the different style high pressure hose end that goes into the pump itself.

The metal style pumps, (the type thats on your ride now) are about 40-70 bucs. When you pick it up at the parts store, order the pulley puller, remove the 2 fittings from the back of your old pump before you turn yours in for the core and hang onto those and keep your top cap as the new pump might not come with the cap.

contraption22
09-06-2013, 10:46 AM
The pump is not specific to the GLHS. It is the same as any other 2.2 pump for it's vintage. Order one for an '87 Charger 2.2 Turbo. It will reduce confusion at the parts counter.

The unique part to all performance Lbodies is in the rack. That is where the steering ratio is determined.

4 l-bodies
09-06-2013, 01:08 PM
The restrictor fitting (the high pressure side) is what determines its assist or firm feel. The pump is the same, the restrictor is not. Simply exchange yours with the rebuilt one. As mentioned, the rack is different (faster) ratio too. BTW it isn't all that hard to rebuild yours. If you try it, make sure you get one with shaft bushing.
As far as the ZF pumps, they provide much more clearance as they are more compact. They also use a much more robust shaft bearing and seal. They were primarily on 88-89 vehicles. Mounting bracket is different. These are popular with the guys that go with large plenum two piece intakes and ATP swingvalves as they give you much more clearance. They will fit an l-body quite well.
Todd

87glhs
09-06-2013, 02:24 PM
Thanks for all the info--

So, by restrictor, you're referring to the port where the high-pressure line screws in? Looks like it's been drilled to a specific size--

Do I also need to exchange the pressure valve spring under the small piston (under the restrictor), or are those the same on both pumps?

And wow, a standard nut on the pulley would have been nice!

Will post results!

GLHS0769
09-06-2013, 08:06 PM
Todd - so to use the ZF pump I would need to get the mounting bracket off a car/van that came with a ZF pump?
and didn't I read that you said the stock GLHS high pressure hose can be used with the ZF pump instead of converting
to the banjo bolt type hose?

4 l-bodies
09-06-2013, 10:28 PM
Todd - so to use the ZF pump I would need to get the mounting bracket off a car/van that came with a ZF pump?
and didn't I read that you said the stock GLHS high pressure hose can be used with the ZF pump instead of converting
to the banjo bolt type hose?
Yes you need the front bracket off the ZF pump. On some applications there is a rear brace, but it is missing in like 75% of cars. I know for a fact it isn't necessary or was it even installed on some applications. There were two different styles of high pressure side (pump) connections. They were changed over to the banjo style in mid/late 88. You do need to use one of the ZF styles for the ZF pump. Either will work.