PDA

View Full Version : Will a 2.2 intake bolt to one side of a SOHC Neon head & the 2.2 exhaust bolt on too?

ATaylorRacing
09-02-2013, 12:04 PM
Thinking of a wild idea....lots of people switch to the Neon heads for better flow and less heat soak troubles. I have a spare SOHC Neon head and was wondering...will the 2.2 intake bolt up to the intake side and will the 2.2 stock header bolt up to the exhaust side? I am cheap, so hopefully this will work. The current motor being used is a common block 2.5 from 1994...how will the compression be affected? I DO NOT have an extra intake or header laying around and refuse to pull mine off to see if they fit the spare head. Thanks.

86Shelby
09-02-2013, 03:35 PM
Unfortunately, they will not bolt up.

contraption22
09-02-2013, 08:34 PM
Purchasing some SOHC neon manifolds shouldn't cost hardly anything.

ATaylorRacing
09-03-2013, 09:47 AM
Purchasing some SOHC neon manifolds shouldn't cost hardly anything. True, but then I would need some sort of adapter to stick my carb on it....love the 3 minute changing of the jets for tuning!

ShadowFromHell
09-03-2013, 10:14 AM
I read somewhere YEARS ago that a 8V turbo manifold could be bolted to a sohc head by redrilling the sohc head for the 8v pattern. The "meat" is there and the port spacing is the same. Ports however are a completely different shape.

contraption22
09-03-2013, 01:37 PM
I read somewhere YEARS ago that a 8V turbo manifold could be bolted to a sohc head by redrilling the sohc head for the 8v pattern. The "meat" is there and the port spacing is the same. Ports however are a completely different shape.

It would be easier to weld a turbo flange to the collector area of the Neon exhaust manifold.

ShadowFromHell
09-03-2013, 09:41 PM
It sounds like a horrible idea to me but thought it pertained. But honestly, why not just swap to a full 2.0 engine with the neon harness. If you use a 95 harness, it shouldn't be that hard. Or just megasquirt and then you can make all the tuning changes you want in less then 3 min...

Aries_Turbo
09-03-2013, 10:15 PM
you could probably have an adapter machined to run the carb intake on the neon head but it would be super restrictive and may not clear the hood.

bike carbs would be easier.

long tube neon header would work fine on a sohc neon head in an omni.

you know the neon head requires some creative plumbing and plugging of various areas that dont quite mate up right?

oh... im not sure but i think the CR would go up. i thought neon heads had smaller chambers but thats just a hunch.

all that said, i think a 2.5L with a DOHC neon head with big cams and high CR and a long tube header and either individual throttle bodies or large bike carbs would be fun to hammer around.

btw, the sohc head doesnt flow all that well unless its the 2000+ neon rt magnum head.

Brian

ATaylorRacing
09-05-2013, 10:27 AM
It sounds like a horrible idea to me but thought it pertained. But honestly, why not just swap to a full 2.0 engine with the neon harness. If you use a 95 harness, it shouldn't be that hard. Or just megasquirt and then you can make all the tuning changes you want in less then 3 min... The main reason for this idea is....I have the head on hand and since I make a good amount of cash bracket racing I LOVE the fact that if I jet the carb right and have the EGTs right at 1390 degrees at the finish line the car runs dead on. Getting more power should help on days of headwinds. At least I have the answers I was looking for and I don't think making an adapter to mate my carb to a SOHC or DOHC intake would take much work. I also was thinking of going to a Neon DOHC top end AND using its electronics...but the current SOHC motor with minor mods in my stick 95 Neon , very slightly modded is darn consistent too and about 25 hp more. Old Matchbox has about 94 hp at the tires while the Cheap Skate has about 119. The both run the same ETs but the Neon is 84 mph compared to Matchbox's 78...short times are a great 2.1 for the Box and 2.4s for the Skate. The Cheap Skate...currently 2nd in points in the United Manual Transmission Racers series...the ONLY car driven to and from every event! http://hyperperformance.smugmug.com/Cars/Drag-Racing/UMTR-at-Natl-Trail-July-28/24441717_CN7JNV#!i=1994250259&k=MNf7v62

contraption22
09-05-2013, 02:37 PM
So why not just gut a Neon to make it as light as the Omni? Probably wouldn't take much gutting. Problem solved.
You can probably pick up a rough-looking good-running SOHC neon sedan for a few hundred bucks.

ATaylorRacing
09-05-2013, 03:38 PM
So why not just gut a Neon to make it as light as the Omni? Probably wouldn't take much gutting. Problem solved.
You can probably pick up a rough-looking good-running SOHC neon sedan for a few hundred bucks.
The Matchbox is 1889 lbs with a 1/4 tank of gas....I think that there would be no way to make a Neon that light and still drive it on the street.