PDA

View Full Version : The Tool Shed goes faster.

turbovanmanČ
08-26-2006, 04:11 AM
Went back out again tonight, with NO expectations as I got a couple G-head cals and they didn't work and Rob hasn't got mine finished yet. While I was playing with chips, I decided to try my TU cal again and see if maybe my old head was the problem. She ran good on the street but my patented butt meter has been known to lie. 94 octange gas, 16 initial, M3 nozzle, Boost Juice concentrate. 25 psi. Oh, I am running the stock 89 cam again and I installed a set of .91 transfer gears due to me grenading the stock set.

Stage with Boost Geek, 2.0 60ft, and it bogs down the track, feels like a brick wall is hitting me and pig rich, runs a whopping 14.040@97.13 mph and Dick beat me with a 14.015@105.89 mph.

Back to the pits, install my known good running cal by Shel-Game, pit the fuel pressure back 48, from 40, stage again with Dick, I cut a 1.9 60ft and she's feeling good, rip off a 13.779@98.32 mph to Dicks 14.8@102.86. Woo hoo, she's feeling good.

So put my cam timing back to 0, retard 2 deg ig timing and crank the boost controller all the way in. Go back out and stage with Dick, another 1.9 60ft and this time, it pulls like a f*cking freight train, its never ever pulled this hard, I get to about half track then the rattling starts due to the boost hitting around 30 ish psi, so I pedal out and have to float the gas which spikes me to 35 psi, I see Dick is back a bit, fingers crossed. I get my slip and scream like a little girl, 13.462@98.56 mph to Dicks 13.762@105.01. I am giddy and if I hadn't backed out, I would have run a 12 for sure.

Back to the pits, I turn out the the MBC 2 turns, retard the timing 2 more degree's and off I go. Well this time, it hated it, I ran a 14.0@97 mph.

Getting desperate as this is my last run and possibly my last run of the year, I turn in the boost controller and retard the timing to 8 or 10 deg, can't remember. WELL, it hated that and I ran a 14.5@????? mph.

So I need to change my alky jet, run some C16 or ?? fix the boost creep and I have 12's in the bag. :D :nod: :cheer2: :drum:

Boost Geek has vid posted of the 13.4 sec run, :nod:

MiniMoparKing
08-26-2006, 04:50 AM
Sounds like you had an interesting night...

Guess now it's just a matter of finding out what worked and tweaking it.

glhs875
08-26-2006, 07:42 AM
Good run!! Get the timing and fuel set up to run that high of boost without killing the rest of lower boost settings like when you turn the distributor, and your on the right track. The G head REALLY needs the timing thrown to it in the off boost and low boost area, but it sounds like you needed some timing pulled out to run 30psi. But not at the off boost and lower settings. Or run the C16 and up the alky a little and try that. Good luck!!!

GLHSKEN
08-26-2006, 09:55 AM
Hmmm... Sounds like you are learning to tune. Next time only try ONE change beteween runs. Either cam or ignition. You still have 2 variables you are trying to figure out every pass. (yes I see you only played withy ig timing the last couple runs.. but the 1st pass you changed the cam.

Congrats on the new PB

shadow88
08-26-2006, 11:32 AM
Hmmm... Sounds like you are learning to tune. Next time only try ONE change beteween runs. Either cam or ignition.

+1 on that note.

It seems you have things sorted out for the 1/8th mile, but need to work on the last 1/8th. 13.4 at 98mph doesn't add up to me.

Congrats:thumb:

turbovanmanČ
08-26-2006, 11:55 AM
+1 on that note.
13.4 at 98mph doesn't add up to me.

Congrats:thumb:

Thats because I had to back off, so no gas pedal, no speed, :D

Don't you guys read? I know about changing one thing at a time, but as I stated, I had no time left and this is probably my last outing, it was a last ditch effort, now I have winter to play on the dyno. Too bad I won't go 12's on an 8 valve, :(

cordes
08-26-2006, 12:32 PM
Glad to see that all the work lately has paid off to an extent. Nice times for a van for sure.

turbovanmanČ
08-26-2006, 12:40 PM
Glad to see that all the work lately has paid off to an extent. Nice times for a van for sure.

Thanks, seeing that 13.4 made my smile and knowing if I had kept my foot in it with no pinging, it would have run a 12. It would be nice to have a time slip but oh well, knowing it is almost as good.

Now if the van could lose 1000 lbs, what out hahhaahaa, ;)

GLHSKEN
08-26-2006, 02:00 PM
NO, By the time you let your foot out of it, it was past the point of running a 12. .4 seconds in the 1/4 is a LOT more than letting your foot off the gas PAST the 1/8 mile mark. the show is over by there. A 12 is made in the 1st 1/8th

turbovanmanČ
08-26-2006, 02:13 PM
NO, By the time you let your foot out of it, it was past the point of running a 12. .4 seconds in the 1/4 is a LOT more than letting your foot off the gas PAST the 1/8 mile mark. the show is over by there. A 12 is made in the 1st 1/8th

Whatever, I don't care, to me it seemed like it and thats all that matters. You mean to tell me taking my foot out at 1/2 track won't make any difference? Anyhow, I am not going to argue and bicker, I am happy at my new result, lets leave it at that, :thumb:

Ubmbass
08-26-2006, 02:33 PM
Wow, congrats simon.. badass run! I was hoping you would better your time this year..

turbovanmanČ
08-26-2006, 02:42 PM
Wow, congrats simon.. badass run! I was hoping you would better your time this year..

Thanks, me too but I am also like you, no tuning time. I know it will do 12's but again, need dyno time and the correct G-head cal.

Honestly, at this point, I might hold off on the 16 valve and save up for MicroTech. The guys who program it are moving in next door so they can setup me up in a few hours and never have to worry about it again. Its $1500 for the system and then of course, tuning but they will work with me.

John B
08-26-2006, 03:46 PM
Good going Simon! Maybe those '89 turbo cams aren't obsolete yet after all?:)

GLHSKEN
08-26-2006, 04:09 PM
Whatever, I don't care, to me it seemed like it and thats all that matters. You mean to tell me taking my foot out at 1/2 track won't make any difference? Anyhow, I am not going to argue and bicker, I am happy at my new result, lets leave it at that, :thumb:

You want the truth or not???? The results were outstanding.. I think the van has a 12 in her... No doubt. Tune it in slow. Simon. We got aquainted in Topeka. You want me to pull punches tell me. You want the straight facts... I have no issue there.

turbovanmanČ
08-26-2006, 04:27 PM
You want the truth or not???? The results were outstanding.. I think the van has a 12 in her... No doubt. Tune it in slow. Simon. We got aquainted in Topeka. You want me to pull punches tell me. You want the straight facts... I have no issue there.

I don't want punches, you know that, but I still believe if that run had me at WOT the whole time, it would have done it, even if it would have been a 12.999999, :eyebrows:

With the limited tuners we have, I have to believe that going with an aftermarket stand alone is the way to go. I have no problem getting cals from Rob etc but it takes time and its only a guess. Paul and TU won't come out here so I don't really have any real options. At least with a standalone, IE MircoTech, there my neighbours and I can get a new tune-up basically right away.

cordes
08-26-2006, 04:31 PM
I don't want punches, you know that, but I still believe if that run had me at WOT the whole time, it would have done it, even if it would have been a 12.999999, :eyebrows:

With the limited tuners we have, I have to believe that going with an aftermarket stand alone is the way to go. I have no problem getting cals from Rob etc but it takes time and its only a guess. Paul and TU won't come out here so I don't really have any real options. At least with a standalone, IE MircoTech, there my neighbours and I can get a new tune-up basically right away.

IMO if you put half the effort and 1/10th the cost of a standalone into learning how to do your own cals, you would come out way ahead.

turbovanmanČ
08-26-2006, 04:33 PM
IMO if you put half the effort and 1/10th the cost of a standalone into learning how to do your own cals, you would come out way ahead.

True dat but I don't have the patience for that stuff, I would rather pay someone else.

GLHSKEN
08-26-2006, 06:09 PM
Tuners does not mean calibration. It means tuning your own set-up through cam, ignition timing and fue;l/boost.

turbovanmanČ
08-26-2006, 06:11 PM
Tuners does not mean calibration. It means tuning your own set-up through cam, ignition timing and fue;l/boost.

I need a proper cal, then I can go further. Wish they would hurry up. :(

Marcus86GLHS
08-26-2006, 08:01 PM
...nice et! .....wow your tool shed gets a lot of track time.
:-)

turbovanmanČ
08-26-2006, 08:08 PM
...nice et! .....wow your tool shed gets a lot of track time.
:-)

Thanks. This year, they had alot of Street Legals, around 17 or 18 Friday nights. Last year, maybe 10. They need more during the week and let less guys in. Last night got 5 runs, last week, 3. It all vary's. I probably could have got one more in but 2 Outlaws oiled the track badly so we lost an hour.

Una
08-26-2006, 08:12 PM
You may have damaged a sparkplug or three in that rattly run, maybe that's why it ran slower? Might take a look at your plugs.
Also.. For tuning the thing.. Get a wideband.. Preferably one you can datalog in referance to your boost so you can tune with it, kind of like an on the road dyno really. It will do wonders for doing your own cals. I think Zietronix makes a datalogging wideband kit pretty cheap.. It's the one I wanted to get last time I looked into it. You might also consider getting a G-tech so you can ditch the butt dyno for something more reliable.

Ground Rat
08-27-2006, 03:09 AM
Congrats on your new PR. What are you doing with that g-head when you go 16v?

SpoolinGLH
08-27-2006, 06:36 AM
Wow Impressive Simon. Is that 13.4 vid out yet?? Would love to see it. lol

GLHSKEN
08-27-2006, 07:50 AM
SImon, Gap the plugs down to at least .028... that will help a bit.

boost geek
08-27-2006, 03:17 PM
Wow Impressive Simon. Is that 13.4 vid out yet?? Would love to see it. lol
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7245&goto=newpost
Scroll down to the bottom also...

turbovanmanČ
08-27-2006, 03:42 PM
SImon, Gap the plugs down to at least .028... that will help a bit.

Thanks, I will next time out. If my new G-head cal shows up, going to try and hit the dyno and beg my parents to let me go play, I have to hit 12's this year before the season ends.

GLHSKEN
08-27-2006, 04:11 PM
Thanks, I will next time out. If my new G-head cal shows up, going to try and hit the dyno and beg my parents to let me go play, I have to hit 12's this year before the season ends.

No you Don't... You are almost there with a brick... play it smart

turbovanmanČ
08-27-2006, 04:15 PM
No you Don't... You are almost there with a brick... play it smart

Hahhaa, I haven't played smart yet, why start now, ;)

I really want to do it before I go 16 valves, and you know my reasons for this.

DBB mini
08-27-2006, 04:39 PM
Congrats Simon.:thumb: Seems like the van liked the G head. What final drive ratio are you running now? 2.78?

Coy

turbovanmanČ
08-27-2006, 04:47 PM
Congrats Simon.:thumb: Seems like the van liked the G head. What final drive ratio are you running now? 2.78?

Coy

It really does, when it hit 30 psi, I thought I had a jet engine strapped to my van, it never ever pulled that hard.

The stock diff gear ratio with .91 gears. I love them highway cruise rpm has dropped 6-800 rpm. I was at 3900-4000, now 3100-3300 rpm. The only side effect is off the line, its a bit doggier but the correct G-head cal should fix that a bit.

DBB mini
08-27-2006, 04:53 PM
Damn, how fast are you crusin on the highway?? I have the same set up in my van stock I think was aroung 3.05 & I used the .91 transfer & brought it to like 2.70 something. At 3100-3300 I'm running around 80-85mph. :eyebrows:

Coy

turbovanmanČ
08-27-2006, 05:00 PM
Damn, how fast are you crusin on the highway?? I have the same set up in my van stock I think was aroung 3.05 & I used the .91 transfer & brought it to like 2.70 something. At 3100-3300 I'm running around 80-85mph. :eyebrows:

Coy

Well, I am running P225/55r16 tires so there a bit shorter than the stockers. At 75 mph or 120 km/h, those were my cruise rpms. Now, its livable, quieter, smoother and I can hear the radio, lol!