PDA

View Full Version : 88 Shelby Z parking brakes...

turbojerk
08-20-2013, 04:12 PM
So the parking brake on my 88 Shelby Z is basically nonexistent (crappy cam leaver style). Tried adjusting them and making sure that the leavers are free but still no good.... Did these shiddy things ever work? If so what can I do to make them functional again?

Thanks
Jerk

2.216VTurbo
08-21-2013, 01:11 AM
I feel your pain! The TC Masi's use that same single year only set up on all 3 years. I just keep tightening the undercar cable til something happens. Even then they are marginal compared to separate internal shoe style:(

turbojerk
08-21-2013, 08:51 AM
I feel your pain! The TC Masi's use that same single year only set up on all 3 years. I just keep tightening the undercar cable til something happens. Even then they are marginal compared to separate internal shoe style:(

I've tried that to the point that the pedal doesn't move and still no pressure on the rotors.... Ugh...

iangoround
08-21-2013, 10:36 PM
Did you adjust at the parking brake cable or at the caliper? I think I remember there being a screw on the caliper to adjust it. I don't have my 88 FSMs handy or I would look it up.

turbojerk
08-22-2013, 08:38 AM
Did you adjust at the parking brake cable or at the caliper? I think I remember there being a screw on the caliper to adjust it. I don't have my 88 FSMs handy or I would look it up.

I adjusted the cable,... I didn't see any type of adjustment at the caliper?

BadAssPerformance
08-22-2013, 08:58 AM
For 87-88 Shelby Z, I think there is a general adjustment on the caliper, not specific to the parking brake, but it works all together. if I recall, there is a random hex head bolt in the back of the caliper, take it out and adjuster is inside there.

I lost the foot brake when I welded the cage in my car (the 6x6 plate went right over the cable hole in the floor) and planning to convert to a 90+ hand brake... I know this will work if I go to 89+ rear brakes, but am going to try to make it work with the 87-88 brakes cuz that's whats already on the 87 car and they are lighter...

turbojerk
08-22-2013, 09:37 AM
For 87-88 Shelby Z, I think there is a general adjustment on the caliper, not specific to the parking brake, but it works all together. if I recall, there is a random hex head bolt in the back of the caliper, take it out and adjuster is inside there.

I lost the foot brake when I welded the cage in my car (the 6x6 plate went right over the cable hole in the floor) and planning to convert to a 90+ hand brake... I know this will work if I go to 89+ rear brakes, but am going to try to make it work with the 87-88 brakes cuz that's whats already on the 87 car and they are lighter...

I did notice a lonely bolt on the back as you said... Thanks for the info!

BadAssPerformance
08-24-2013, 04:09 PM
No problem man. Did that do the trick for the parking brake?