PDA

View Full Version : Polishing Door Glass, anyone used something that works?

minigts
08-07-2013, 10:31 AM
Looking for a kit of sorts that will work. I've read about a couple on Eastwood and seen some others, but mixed reviews on all. Anyone actually used a glass polishing kit they would recommend? Got some scratches in the CSX glass (not the windshield) and want to see about getting those out if possible. They're not terribly deep and reading some reviews online, it appears it can be done. One shop has a You Tube video, but of course they don't show HOW they did it, just that it was done. I'm sure it cost a small fortune.

supercrackerbox
08-07-2013, 12:12 PM
I've got several pieces of extra glass on the shelf for the Charger/GLHS, so I was planning on trying a few things. I just haven't gotten around to it. First attempt was going to be the same bench buffer I use on metal. If I break one I'm not out anything.

turismolover22
08-07-2013, 01:20 PM
Ill talk to my buddy. He owns a commercial glass shop that installs and repairs glass in buildings. And some of that stuff can be anywhere from 500-1k+ a pane. Im positive hes done repairs.You would think something that polishes plastic sealed beams would be suitable. I guess it would depend gow deep the scratches are.

fishcleaner
08-07-2013, 01:38 PM
I've used the eastwood kit 3 times, first time, destroyed the windshield, second time, made the glass worse, 3rd time, no better than I started with, so from my experience it's better to super clean the glass and use a clay bar, then Rain-X it, the Rain-X hides minor scratches. Let us know how you make out.

zin
08-07-2013, 07:16 PM
Cerium oxide is what I recall being used to polish glass with a typical buffer, but just like polishing paint (and probably even more so with glass), if you can't be really smooth, it'll get "wavy"...

More to the point, where's Clock when you need him? He is back on the boards now, so I'd maybe PM him for some professional advice.

Mike

chilort
08-07-2013, 09:24 PM
I tried an Eastwood kit and it didn't work.

rich tideswell
08-08-2013, 07:45 AM
for minor scratches, use tooth paste. not the new fancy gels, but the old style white paste with some grit.

supercrackerbox
08-08-2013, 12:21 PM
Most of the glass I have has pretty severe wear marks from years of rubbing against maladjusted window guides and destroyed belt mouldings. This is true for all of my cars. For the GLHS, I had to just pick the best from three cars I've gotten the glass from.

minigts
08-08-2013, 05:06 PM
I've got several pieces of extra glass on the shelf for the Charger/GLHS, so I was planning on trying a few things. I just haven't gotten around to it. First attempt was going to be the same bench buffer I use on metal. If I break one I'm not out anything.

Well any actual experience will be appreciated. Let me know how it turns out.

Ill talk to my buddy. He owns a commercial glass shop that installs and repairs glass in buildings. And some of that stuff can be anywhere from 500-1k+ a pane. Im positive hes done repairs.You would think something that polishes plastic sealed beams would be suitable. I guess it would depend gow deep the scratches are.

Sound good, thanks. I don't think I could spend that much on one of these cars, given that the glass is not totally irreplaceable, just really hard to find in good shape. The scratches aren't terrible, but noticeable. I think a few are deep enough that you could feel them with the fingernail test. I know they are there, just not the depth.

I've used the eastwood kit 3 times, first time, destroyed the windshield, second time, made the glass worse, 3rd time, no better than I started with, so from my experience it's better to super clean the glass and use a clay bar, then Rain-X it, the Rain-X hides minor scratches. Let us know how you make out.

That's kinda what I read on the reviews. There were some success stories, but not many. The cost isn't wallet breaking, but I'd rather throw $75 elsewhere. :p

Cerium oxide is what I recall being used to polish glass with a typical buffer, but just like polishing paint (and probably even more so with glass), if you can't be really smooth, it'll get "wavy"...

More to the point, where's Clock when you need him? He is back on the boards now, so I'd maybe PM him for some professional advice.

Mike

I know, surprised he hasn't responded! I've heard you have to be careful and what not. I'm not that worried about waves, although I wouldn't look to get it wavy. Wavy > scratches. :D

I tried an Eastwood kit and it didn't work.

for minor scratches, use tooth paste. not the new fancy gels, but the old style white paste with some grit.

Thanks guys. Rich, I'll see where I get with the paste. Can you use a drill and buffer pad to apply or should it be truly by hand?

rich tideswell
08-08-2013, 05:38 PM
Rich, I'll see where I get with the paste. Can you use a drill and buffer pad to apply or should it be truly by hand?

you can use a buffer. get it wet, smear it around. i've never personally done it, guy i worked with detailed cars and that's what he did for glass scratches. this guy did it with cleaner wax http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_4AaXsquUI

the pros use power buffers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FwIC7-bttk

you just want something mildly abrasive to polish the scratches away just like paint

Rrider
08-09-2013, 03:04 PM
Is that toothpaste?

- - - Updated - - -

I park in the street so the LA TDS laden sprinklers are an issue. I can barely see my passenger side mirror. I'm going to try some toothpaste, or maybe ajax or comet.

86Shelby
08-09-2013, 04:28 PM
I park in the street so the LA TDS laden sprinklers are an issue. I can barely see my passenger side mirror. I'm going to try some toothpaste, or maybe ajax or comet.

One of the best scrubbers I've used is Bon Ami. It comes in a gold can, it has a little chick on it with the slogan 'never scratched yet'. It's a real fine powder. We had to use it on my parent's countertops since everything else scratched the heck out it in no time flat. It worked real well on the hard water residue and rust stains on the house windows at our old house so it should do well on car windows as well.

iTurbo
08-10-2013, 01:11 PM
OK, this might be my stupid suggestion of the week but.....What about "00" or "000" grade steel wool?

turismolover22
08-10-2013, 05:30 PM
Yea. My guy in commercial glass said they very seldom do it, as some glass cannot be saved, but he said if you were to do it, to use a high speed buffer, and use a very fine abrasive paste, much like what you would use to finish clearcoat.

Rrider
09-09-2013, 11:48 AM
I used an old scotchbrite pad with toothpaste. It got the stains off but it scratched up the glass very lightly. I'll use something less abrasive next time. Maybe a cloth towel with toothpaste if I cant get a power wheel. I'm sure it will need another cleaning soon.