PDA

View Full Version : camshaft install procedure

iangoround
07-30-2013, 06:55 PM
I feel like a dork for even asking this, but what is the proper procedure for installing an 8V cam? Are you supposed to put the rockers in afterwards with a valve spring tool? I'm asking because I spit out a rocker arm the other day and after reinstalling it and re-torquing the cam cap bolts to 220 in-lbs, oil would ooze out from between the cap and head if i put pressure on the cam cap bolt. That doesn't seem right to me.

I'm wondering if the spitting out rocker arms thing is because the cam isn't torqued properly, or if it's because the 5w30 gets too thin when hot and lifters collapse, or if the cam is worn. I'll be putting in a new cam kit once the car is out of the paint shop anyway and also changing the oil to 10w40 but I don't want to mess anything up on that install.

135sohc
07-30-2013, 07:21 PM
I would put the rockers on after the camshaft was reinstalled so your not fighting the valve springs trying to torque the camcap bolts down. brakecleaner, bottle brush and blow out all the bolt holes with compressed air, dont forget to put the anerobic on the two end caps so they dont leak.

csxtra
07-30-2013, 08:57 PM
I would put the rockers on after the camshaft was reinstalled so your not fighting the valve springs trying to torque the camcap bolts down. brakecleaner, bottle brush and blow out all the bolt holes with compressed air, dont forget to put the anerobic on the two end caps so they dont leak.

And don't forget to put the cap on the anaerobic after you are done so it doesn't dry out. :D

iangoround
07-31-2013, 08:38 PM

That's what I was thinking, although I did forget about the anaerobic sealant on the end caps.

135sohc
07-31-2013, 09:25 PM
And don't forget to put the cap on the anaerobic after you are done so it doesn't dry out. :D

hate it when that happens... ;)

That's what I was thinking, although I did forget about the anaerobic sealant on the end caps.

The machine shop did mine and they forgot to seal them. I found it before installing the head thankfully.