PDA

View Full Version : Had to tow my CRD 03 home 93 miles on way back from Carlisle

Sgt Craig
07-21-2013, 11:58 AM
Started loosing power on Pa Pike,kept pushing on and she stalled and I coasted to the side of the road.Changed fuel filter,wouldnt prime,jumped back out and opened fuel filter drain and didnt get any fuel out of it.Lost the lift pump.Called AAA and amazingly they where there in a about 20 minutes,which never happens.Big F550 rollback that had a cummins in it.$325 tow bill(no I dont have AAA plus).The truck just turned 228,000 miles when it broke down.Im ordering up a Airdog2 100gph external pump.I did get 2nd in 2002-up 2wd stock truck at Carlisle though.

turbovanmanČ
07-22-2013, 01:35 AM
Common failure and yeah, I just put an aftermarket pump on. In my area, its about the same price as a stocker but if it has the intake pump, its more work and cost, :(

440dart
07-22-2013, 01:30 PM
Try and get one with a good filtration setup nothing kills CR's faster then dirty arriated fuel, then stuff starts to melt

Turbo Joe
07-22-2013, 05:38 PM
look into these guys. awesome customer service too..
http://www.genosgarage.com/FASS-95-HPFP-FUEL-TRANSFER-PUMP-985-045/productinfo/FASS_FA_D08_095G/
lifetime warranty on that unit too.. but my FASS lift pump kit for my 99 has never given me an issue yet and was easy to install too.

Sgt Craig
08-02-2013, 09:50 PM
Common failure and yeah, I just put an aftermarket pump on. In my area, its about the same price as a stocker but if it has the intake pump, its more work and cost, :(

I changed out the stock pump(on filter housing) quite a few years ago to the intank updated pump.Its been in there about 100-120,So I knew it was going to fail but didnt want it to happen on the way back from Carlisle.i had already had plans to go with a aftermarket next summer.You know what they say,Crap happens.

- - - Updated - - -

look into these guys. awesome customer service too..
http://www.genosgarage.com/FASS-95-HPFP-FUEL-TRANSFER-PUMP-985-045/productinfo/FASS_FA_D08_095G/
lifetime warranty on that unit too.. but my FASS lift pump kit for my 99 has never given me an issue yet and was easy to install too.

I have used Geno's for a long time now.I buy Quite a bit off of them.From the research ive done the Airdog is the way to go.

- - - Updated - - -

Try and get one with a good filtration setup nothing kills CR's faster then dirty arriated fuel, then stuff starts to melt

yeah I know thats why mopar changed there filters which ive been usuing for quite some time.

Ondonti
09-08-2013, 08:36 PM
Started loosing power on Pa Pike,kept pushing on and she stalled and I coasted to the side of the road.Changed fuel filter,wouldnt prime,jumped back out and opened fuel filter drain and didnt get any fuel out of it.Lost the lift pump.Called AAA and amazingly they where there in a about 20 minutes,which never happens.Big F550 rollback that had a cummins in it.$325 tow bill(no I dont have AAA plus).The truck just turned 228,000 miles when it broke down.Im ordering up a Airdog2 100gph external pump.I did get 2nd in 2002-up 2wd stock truck at Carlisle though.

You could have upgraded to AAA+ on the spot while making your call and the savings would have paid off the next few years of their service. They offered for me to upgrade to RV once when I had a trailer and got stuck. I did something else but it was an option.

Sgt Craig
09-21-2013, 09:42 AM
You could have upgraded to AAA+ on the spot while making your call and the savings would have paid off the next few years of their service. They offered for me to upgrade to RV once when I had a trailer and got stuck. I did something else but it was an option.

Didnt know that and they didnt offer it but thankfully my insurance reimbursed most of the espense since we have roadside through insurance.

lancerman23
09-30-2013, 05:52 PM
JUST my two cents.. but dont believe everything you read on forums about company's.. i run an AIRDOG on my 07 duramax.., hasn't died yet.. but every single winter here, it gel's up with out fail.. and everybody i know that runs a fass has had no issue's at all..

hope you get it fixed bud.

94GTC
02-05-2014, 09:00 PM
The only reason that an Airdog would gel up and a Fass did not would be if the Fass has a fuel heater. If they have the same micron filters, and the same fuel, The fuel does not care what brand the filter is. ULS fuel sucks. I have been running a 392 pump for over 50K miles and for the price of an Airdog, I can buy a new pump every year. Filter bases are cheap, and you can run a water separator 10 micron before the pump, and a 25 micron in the factory housing, or mount another base and run a big Cat secondary fuel filter. If the lines are tight and sealed there is no air in the fuel to get out.

ShadowFromHell
02-06-2014, 12:01 PM
My dad has the "update" done on his 02 and they installed a intank pump. Within less then 20k the sock was clogged and it killed his injection pump. I think all dodge did was use a gas setup, and diesel is MUCh dirtier then gasoline. If I had a intank, I would be ditching it.

Sgt Craig
02-07-2014, 07:41 PM
Gelling wouldnt be a problem cause I never drive the thing in cold weahter anyway.I havent fixed it yet.Im going to go with the intank setup again.Really dont need a bigger external pump as Im not going to mod it anymore.Its realiable and I like it that way.

ShadowFromHell
02-07-2014, 08:38 PM
My dad was in the same boat Craig, and the intank just doesnt cut it. He had tossed it all before I got to look at it, but my theory is that the fuel sock is way undersized for the dirtier fuel. His was great when it was first done and then gradually got worse. If you gonna run a intank as least get a pre injection pump fuel pressure gauge. That would have saved my dads $2000 injection pump. He went with a FASS bolt on kit, and it really worked out well. Only took him a half day to install it. I think it was around $400, but he will never have to worry about it again. If I remember right the main reason he went to the FASS was that a in cab pre injection pump gauge and new intank was the same price as a the FASS setup.

94GTC
02-09-2014, 12:12 PM
My dad was in the same boat Craig, and the intank just doesnt cut it. He had tossed it all before I got to look at it, but my theory is that the fuel sock is way undersized for the dirtier fuel. His was great when it was first done and then gradually got worse. If you gonna run a intank as least get a pre injection pump fuel pressure gauge. That would have saved my dads $2000 injection pump. He went with a FASS bolt on kit, and it really worked out well. Only took him a half day to install it. I think it was around $400, but he will never have to worry about it again. If I remember right the main reason he went to the FASS was that a in cab pre injection pump gauge and new intank was the same price as a the FASS setup.

FASS platinum is closer to $600. The Walbro pump is under $100, and for less than $150 I put together the rest of the system. You can run common, Cat and Cummins filters or replacements that can be purchased at any heavy truck shop.

ShadowFromHell
02-10-2014, 11:45 AM
But like I said, I dont think the pump itself is the issue. I dont think the "gas" fuel sock is big enough to not get clogged in 100k. This is really bad, because these trucks will run with really low pressure to the injection pump but it slowly kills the pump. I would rather spend $600 on a lift the $2000 on a injection pump,

Sgt Craig
02-10-2014, 08:26 PM
But like I said, I dont think the pump itself is the issue. I dont think the "gas" fuel sock is big enough to not get clogged in 100k. This is really bad, because these trucks will run with really low pressure to the injection pump but it slowly kills the pump. I would rather spend $600 on a lift the $2000 on a injection pump,

The CRD's dont have the injection pump issues the older 24v and 12v had.I had the intank in my truck for over 100k and thats pretty reasonable for a fuel pump.Ill stick with simple,Im not modding it anymore and really dont want to spend the 600 a fass or make lines for a cheaper external style pump.Ive had this truck since Nov of 02 and has 228k on it.Its the first time I have been stranded with it.