PDA

View Full Version : Turbo motor in NA application: Will it work?

LaserGurl
07-18-2013, 12:46 AM
Hi Guys!

I have an 86 horizon carbed 2.2 with a blown motor, I also have access to a an 86 turbo motor (but with no intake or exhaust manifolds). My question is: how well would the turbo motor run if i just bolted up the carb manifold and exhaust and ran with it? Would it still make any kind of power (not expecting too much) and how much damage would it do to MPGs? As an alternate idea, what would happen if I put the NA pistons into the turbo motor. Isnt the biggest difference between the turbo and non turbo motors the pistons and compression ratios?

Basically, Im just trying to get this thing back on the road as cheaply as possible and still have it be somewhat reliable and be able to cruise the highway several times a week with few issues.

Any suggestions or advice would be very much appreciated

Thanks a bunch!

Tifany

strang3majik
07-18-2013, 02:18 AM
It'd run fine but it would be kinda turdish as the turbos have lower compression. Much lower compression than the HP 2.2s. I believe the turbos are 8:1, TBI were 9:1...HPs were 10.5:1 I know for a fact.

LaserGurl
07-18-2013, 11:10 AM
Yeah that's what I was afraid of. I'm still wondering if it would be worth the effort to swap the pistons for the higher compression ones. The rods are the same for both in 86 aren't they?

Thanks

Tif

turbovanmanČ
07-18-2013, 01:36 PM
It will be a turd, plus the cam is tamer.

I would simply swap the pistons and cam, reuse the turbo rings and keep in the same more and you won't need to rering it. You can't swap just the pistons either as they are a press fit so just swap the rod/piston assembly.

LaserGurl
07-18-2013, 06:34 PM
Allright, so I just have to swap the rods and pistons, keep the turbo rings and put them on the non turbo pistons and make sure that they go back in the bore that they came out of. That seems very doable I think. Swapping the cam shouldnt be a big deal either. Then after that its just a matter of re-installing the old manifolds and stuff.
The turbo motors come with a fuel pump block off plate, but im guessing a normal mechanical fuel pump should bolt back up there right? And will the turbo distributor work ok, or do I need to swap that too? Sorry bout all the questions just want to have a good handle on this before Im knee deep in engine parts!

Thanks so much for the info guys! as always you are mega awesome!!

Tifany

Vigo
07-19-2013, 03:06 PM
You're going to want to use the original carb distributor if you are running the turbo motor in the carb car. You can bolt the mechanical fuel pump to the turbo block and it should work. I think all the intermediate shafts had the lobe to run the fuel pump until the common block came out.