PDA

View Full Version : Cruise control installation

kvnndvn
07-16-2013, 11:44 PM
I emailed FWDperformance about if they could point me in the right direction for cruise control installation. I never heard back from them (no big deal), so any know or recommend any place. I am replacing my engine in my 89' Daytona Shelby and wanted that to be part of the gig. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks,

Kevin

cordes
07-17-2013, 12:51 AM
All of the wiring should be there. You'll need the stalk which will plug in under the dash to an existing plug and the same with the servo under the hood. It should be pretty straight forward really.

zin
07-17-2013, 02:40 AM
Aside from having an ECU that supports CC, it can all be added latter and much cheaper than paying someone else.

It doesn't need to be done at the time of engine instal.

Id suggest going to a pick your part type place and removing the needed pieces yourself, mainly so you can see how it is supposed to go, take pictures, notes, etc.

IIRC, the actuator and attaching bracket go under the battery tray (2-3 bolts), and some wiring to plug into the existing harness on the car... I don't recall if the connector is taped up inside the harness or if the plug is just "hanging around"... The other, and possibly most involved piece of the puzzle is installing the cruise control lever onto the column. It's not too difficult really, but if you want to "cheat" you could pull a column/wheel of the correct color and just swap the whole thing in! They are easily installed/removed and normally don't cost very much at a non-California pick your part type JY!

Best of luck!

Mike

kvnndvn
07-17-2013, 07:08 PM
Yeah my car never had CC as an option, but I do have a ECU stage 5 from FWDperformance, so that should work. Also, good to know it doesn't have to be done with engine swap. Thank you gents for the info.

Kevin

turbovanmanČ
07-17-2013, 07:45 PM
Yeah my car never had CC as an option, but I do have a ECU stage 5 from FWDperformance, so that should work. Also, good to know it doesn't have to be done with engine swap. Thank you gents for the info.

Kevin

You'll have to ask Cindy if its turned "ON" in the cal.

You'll also need the throttle body cable bracket.

kvnndvn
07-18-2013, 08:56 PM
I will have to find a place where I can attain a throttle body cable bracket, thanks for the heads up.

ShelGame
07-18-2013, 09:59 PM
You'll have to ask Cindy if its turned "ON" in the cal.

You'll also need the throttle body cable bracket.

Actualy, CC can't be turned 'off' in the cal. For the SMEC, there's a possibility that the CC hardware is missing form the power board.

turbovanmanČ
07-23-2013, 01:07 PM
Actualy, CC can't be turned 'off' in the cal. For the SMEC, there's a possibility that the CC hardware is missing form the power board.

How do they do it in the S60 cal?

cordes
07-23-2013, 02:40 PM
How do they do it in the S60 cal?

I believe they used the cruise input for the switchable timing table.

kvnndvn
07-23-2013, 11:25 PM
Again, if anyone knows where I can go to purchase a cruise control actuator, and whatever else I need please let me know. I have purchased the CC stalk from Napa already. Thanks

krut
07-24-2013, 01:46 AM
Salvage Yard. Those parts are not going to be had in the aftermarket, and probably discontinued at the dealer. The actuator is pretty common on these cars though. Almost every one of these cars I see in the salvage yard around here has cruise.

cordes
07-24-2013, 02:10 AM
Yeah, they are pretty plentiful at the JY. Since the servo isn't body specific you can pull on off of just about any of the cars. I'm pretty sure the connector was fairly similar if not the same from 89ish to 94. I would just take any servo you can from a KGP body car and get the connector and pig tail.

moparloper
07-24-2013, 06:37 AM
IIRC '87 - '89 TII cars had a special bracket (4324053) that mounted the actuator under the battery tray and had a shorter cable (4458443) to clear the IC piping (TI's won't work). Arizona parts may have a cable left, the brackets are JY only. '90+ mounted on the strut tower and are all the same (no special bracket or cable).
I would try and find the '90+ actuator and modify your wiring harness to reach up to the strut tower.

wheming
07-24-2013, 07:36 AM
Yes my 89 is under the batt tray, and my 91 is in the driver side strut tower. And the servo looks different. I think the plug was different too.

4 l-bodies
07-24-2013, 12:56 PM
Since your vehicle didn't have CC to begin with, check your brake switch. It needs to be a six wire switch. I have found that some auto non-CC vehicles (89 Shadow in my case) came with only a 4 wire brake switch. All aftermarket brake switches are 6 wire or cruise enabled. As previously stated not all SMEC's are cruise enabled. When I added cruise to my 89 Shadow, I mounted it at the drivers strut like they did in later years. IMO a much better place for it. It gets it out of the way of tranny cables and intercooler piping.
Todd

turbovanmanČ
07-24-2013, 01:52 PM
And also MP computers had a warning that cruise control wasn't working as its a race car, who uses cruise, :p

Pretty sure I have a TB bracket, I know I have the servo but its the battery mounted one.

zin
07-25-2013, 09:25 PM
And also MP computers had a warning that cruise control wasn't working as its a race car, who uses cruise, :p

That's true, but it was just to CYA when they reprogrammed a computer that didn't have the hardware needed, after a few people got irate that their new, cool, upgrade just made useless a few hundred dollar option on their new car!

Mike

kvnndvn
07-26-2013, 01:53 AM
this maybe a dumb question is the actuator and servo the same thing?

wheming
07-28-2013, 10:18 PM
Yes.

And you can add aftermarket cruise very easily too.
Mini has an Audiovox cruise control and it works very well for a vacuum unit.
I've also installed and used a Rostra electronic cruise with great sucess in my old Evo.

kvnndvn
07-29-2013, 07:42 PM
thanks for the reply Wheming, I'm currently deployed so I'm trying to accumulate all parts needed. I purchased the cruise control stalk through napa, the actuator and bracket. I know I need to check the brake switch when I get home. I drive a good distance to my job, and cruise will be a nice luxery.

wheming
07-29-2013, 09:31 PM
I know how you feel. I wanted Mini's CC fixed for when I had to drive her 700 miles back to NC, but I couldn't get it working. I did fix it later and made a couple trips home to MA in it. It was a necessary luxury for me. So is a/c, which I'll be working on too.