PDA

View Full Version : Lace wheel refurb s.h.c.s

trannybuster
07-11-2013, 09:28 AM
So exactly what's the best way to remove the plastic cap screws running along the outside, drill them out? Thanks in advance.

Vigo
07-11-2013, 11:54 AM
Dont they have a hex head in them? I know on the old eggshell/pacifica wheels you could actually put a tool in them that fits and twist them out, they were just sort of pressed/glued in there. IIRC the lancer wheels (thats what you're talking about, right?) have a hex or a shape a tool fits into on those things as well.

trannybuster
07-11-2013, 03:19 PM
^^Hmmm..yes they have a socket for hex but they just turn and turn. Maybe Ill put some WD40 in there as well..IDK. Thanks for the info thus far. Kinda in a hurry to get these done, always wanted a H body..so dam if this isnt holding me up from driving it lol...Im mean c'mon the rims gotta be done before you can drive it right!

Vigo
07-11-2013, 03:27 PM
Hmm, i guess the trick is to pull them out then.. Do you have some snapring pliers that will fit on the inside? Maybe you can grab the inside hard enough to twist and pull and they will come out.

trannybuster
07-11-2013, 05:29 PM
They emit a dry squawk when they are turned like they are inserted somehow and they dont turn very easily, some lube should free them up. I cant believe no one has removed these things...I searched both forums=no go.

Sour Kraut's 951
07-11-2013, 10:50 PM
They are not bolts they are simulated plastic bolt heads. They snap in, some have been found to be glued in place. I had an idiot shop back in the day think they were a two piece rim and broke one. I have been looking for the exact replacements for a while to have all my wheels refurbished.

trannybuster
07-12-2013, 12:06 AM
Yeah i checked them for material type before throwing them into the oven..lol...could always drill them out and simply cut off some ss shcs heads and stick them in. gonna try removing them tomorrow. thanks for the info..def helps!

Sour Kraut's 951
07-12-2013, 09:58 AM
Yeah i checked them for material type before throwing them into the oven..lol...could always drill them out and simply cut off some ss shcs heads and stick them in. gonna try removing them tomorrow. thanks for the info..def helps!

Or better yet, drill and tap and have real bolts. Although I do not know how that would effect balancing.

trannybuster
07-12-2013, 04:05 PM
Okay so I got a few of them out, they have a fair'ly long stem on them that is just pressed into the hole, but they are pretty tight and it does indeed appear the hole is sized so that they could be tapped m6-m8..?... and use ss bolts instead. I ran a deck screw in them then pulled them out, some are in there pretty good, would probably be better off drilling a small pilot hole so that the screw isnt blowing out the plastic and locking the in even tighter. Anyhow I plan on pulling them all to shot clean and powder coat the rims.