PDA

View Full Version : Daytona upper dash mount repairs

iangoround
07-04-2013, 10:21 PM
Most of the upper dash mounts in my Turbo Z are broken. The combination of that and solid poly motor mounts all the way around makes the whole thing flop around like a fish. Has anyone ever successfully repaired those mounts? If so, how did you do it?

supercrackerbox
07-05-2013, 11:52 AM
They are "supposed" to have metal supports around those mouning points, so even if the weak plastic does crack, the dash will still stay solid. I've seen a few that didn't have the supports either. They shouldn't be too hard to fabricate, they're just a piece of thin gauge sheet metal folded over the tab with a hole drilled through for the mounting screw.

As far as fixing the plastic, most good parts stores should now carry a nice selection of two-part epoxy adhesives. The stuff I used recently to fix the common broken door handles in my '91 Daytona was Versachem Plastic Welder.

http://www.itwconsumer.com/versachem-products/product.cfm?id=Plastic%20Welder%E2%84%A2%20Flow%2D Mix%C2%AE%2C%2014%20ml-127
Make sure the package specifies that it works with ABS plastic, and definately get the stuff that has the mixing tubes for the syringe. The stuff sets up quick, so mixing it yourself outside of the tubes (like JB Weld) reduces the chemical reaction that makes it bond to your plastic. The mixing tubes make it clean and simple. It also will bond the metal supports to the plastic, and any other broken pieces that you find.

turismolover22
07-05-2013, 03:06 PM
Sweet. I have some broken tabs too and wondered why they never used metal.

supercrackerbox
07-05-2013, 05:04 PM
Quality control in the '80s may not have been Chrysler's strong suit. Strip enough cars down, you'll see some pretty wild oversights.

turismolover22
07-05-2013, 05:50 PM
Haha, yea ive seen plenty of oversights. Hey they survived right? Well my car didnt fare as well, but i posted more progress up in the car thread. Good luck with the repair, sounds like ill be doing this same thing to mine.