PDA

View Full Version : 50,000 mile rotors?

Badger
08-24-2006, 01:17 AM
my GF has a PTGT. Recently the dealer told her she needed brake pads AND rotors but the car only has 50,000 miles on it. The service manager said that the rotors they use on the '03 PTGT cannot be turned and you need to replace the rotors. Does anyone know whether this is true or not and what would be a good upgrade as far as pads and rotors (if she needs them)

thanks....

Subliminal
08-24-2006, 07:38 AM
Whenever my cars need brakes I go to autozone and get brand new rotors and pads. Usually rotors are about $20 a piece, however in some cases (like my f150) they cost more because they and the hub are one piece. However, even then it cost a grand total of $140 to buy both rotors and lifetime warranty pads.

Stay away from the stealership on stuff like that!

d

89turbomini
08-24-2006, 10:18 AM
If you take the rotor off and look in the back it should be stamped with its minimum thickness allowed. Measure the rotor and compair it to that number. If there is no number then they probably cant be turned and must be replaced. If you can do it yourself i would look at autozone they sell some nice rotors and lifetime warrenty pads.

contraption22
08-25-2006, 12:10 PM
I've had a PT GT at my work in for brakes. We cut the rotors without any problems. They are the same PN as SRT-4 rotors. The minimum thickness spec is 26.4mm.

91ES
08-30-2006, 10:43 AM
i've replaced rotors on PT's with less than 40,000 KM's, always with pads. A lot of the rotors up here pit and rusted on the inboard side chewing up the pad. BTW, i work at a Chrysler dealer:)

So Badger, don't go stomping down to the Dealer screaming that he's taking you for a set of rotors. If she has 50K miles on a set of rotors, the chance of being able to machine them and still be under the throw away thickness is pretty slim.

WVRampage
09-04-2006, 12:18 AM
go to advance or autozone and get pads and rotors and do it yourself its not hard and much cheaper than the dealer.