PDA

View Full Version : 87 Dodge Shelby Charger calipers...

Wayne in NJ
07-01-2013, 08:59 AM
...website I checked has the rebuilts for them the same as standard Chargers/Omnis, is that correct? (Got info that they SHOULD be larger/different than the standard ones).

83scamp
07-01-2013, 09:51 AM
The Shelby brakes are bigger. They are identical to the larger car brakes such as the Daytonas. Checking Rock Auto, the calipers you want are:

184801S Left
184800S Right

These are A-1 Cardone #'s

Hope this helps.

Wayne in NJ
07-02-2013, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the info, printed it out and gave it to the mechanic with the car this AM. (Tues, 07/02/13).

ohlarikd
07-03-2013, 12:56 PM
So what happened to the brakes? Other than they are stock and 'feel' like they don't work. They do work, they are just pretty terrible stock. I was very close to doing all these SLH upgrades, I even carried the part numbers in my wallet in case I got inspired at the parts store / salvage place...

DevoBuzz
07-03-2013, 04:26 PM
Sorry to jump in Wayne but his mechanic said he had a bad driver's side brake hose. I told him to get stainless steel ones!!

ohlarikd
07-03-2013, 04:33 PM
Sorry to jump in Wayne but his mechanic said he had a bad driver's side brake hose. I told him to get stainless steel ones!!

Well it wasn't leaking... perhaps it was expanding? It didn't feel mushy though. I think the stock brakes are just not very good. Things seemed very undersized back then.

DevoBuzz
07-03-2013, 04:38 PM
The caliper was hanging so the rubber must have been blocked/ corroded. Just realized Wayne didnt state why he needed calipers in his post. He must have texted me that bit of info!

ohlarikd
07-03-2013, 05:49 PM
The caliper was hanging so the rubber must have been blocked/ corroded. Just realized Wayne didnt state why he needed calipers in his post. He must have texted me that bit of info!

Interesting... piston not going back in the bore? This is a good time to SLH in my opinion, but someone would have to collect the parts.

Wayne in NJ
07-03-2013, 10:12 PM
He did replace one caliper, (I know, I should have told him to do both), and the hose running to the caliper, (I also know there's a stainless steel replacement, but didn't have time to order)! He did the pads, resurfaced the rotors, seems good to go...or stop!

ohlarikd
07-03-2013, 11:38 PM
He did replace one caliper, (I know, I should have told him to do both), and the hose running to the caliper, (I also know there's a stainless steel replacement, but didn't have time to order)! He did the pads, resurfaced the rotors, seems good to go...or stop!

Well, at least that is an easy and inexpensive job. If it works, then great! The brakes are the one thing your car lacks. Just about everything else is upgraded.

Wayne in NJ
07-04-2013, 10:45 AM
Well, at least that is an easy and inexpensive job. If it works, then great! The brakes are the one thing your car lacks. Just about everything else is upgraded.

As current owner, I guess the brakes are MY mission! ;^)