PDA

View Full Version : Starter won't do anything!

Mysterio
06-28-2013, 11:20 PM
I made sure all my grounds had good solid connections. My terminals are a bit loose but are tight enough that the starter should be at least TRYING to do something. I manually tested and the starter will run with direct voltage. I turn the key and don't get so much as a click from the solenoid. Probably 3 times out of 50 attempts the starter has worked in the past week or so. I am getting full direct voltage to the car but I don't think I'm getting any ignition voltage... Is there anything I can check? I'm confused why the starter has worked a few times but won't the majority of the time.

Turbo Joe
06-29-2013, 12:21 AM
check to see if your getting signal to the starter relay if not then check the ignition switch ontop of the steering column. you will have to drop the column from the dash to check it, but sometimes the switch gets loose or the rod contact area gets worn.. start there.

Mysterio
07-15-2013, 08:06 PM
Looks like I need a new T2 harness when I get some money. Spent a ton of time and found out the connector in the harness that the relay connects to. The ground connection coming out on the other side just .. wasn't connected to anything. I have no idea how this car has ever started or even started 3 times for me as is? It was never hooked up as far as i know and definitely wasn't so idk how the starter EVER turned on without that part grounded becuase the relay was never activating lol. I don't even know where it was supposed to be going to so I grounded it straight to the battery for now. The car won't start but cranks I think probably from the old gas though. I've fixed up so many hack jobs on this harness already It's getting ridiculous.