PDA

View Full Version : 2.4l vs hybrid swap

strang3majik
06-25-2013, 06:39 PM
Which one is preferred and why?

I have two extra srt4 heads and one complete srt4 engine. I'm trying to make a choice between these two routes. To be honest, I kind've forgot about the hybrid swap.

Its going into an L-body...

Here's my list...please add any in favor of either swap...

Hybrid:
No trans/starter issues
Factory mounts
Keep distributor in stock location
(i've been told) stronger bottom end
Smaller block footprint

SRT4 2.4:
No head to block complications
No timing headaches
I've got it sitting here ready to go
Sound like pure sex...as does saying "I have an srt4 swap in my Omni"

Yea....so with my own list, a hybrid seems "easier" per se. No need for custom mounts, grinding on the block for a starter. More room to work with...

Thoughts? Ideas? Hopes? Prayers? Will this car ever drive again? Have you ever seen a grown man naked? Do you like movies about Gladiators? I like my coffee black, like my men. Thats a great movie, I think I'm going to go watch it while I await input.

:)

Wastelands Warrior
06-25-2013, 06:49 PM
One thing I have heard about a hybrid is that it takes big fabrication skills to make an A/C system functional.

tryingbe
06-25-2013, 07:26 PM
SRT4. Custom engine mount is easier than having plug the oil holes in the block.

Kryp2nitE
06-25-2013, 07:29 PM
Where did you read the 2.2 shortblock was better than the 2.4?

turbovanmanČ
06-25-2013, 08:02 PM
How are your fab skills? I believe we have mounts already made plus if not, there are lots of blue prints kicking around to make some.

A/C etc bugger to make work on a Hybrid, plus an SRT engine, you can run Rybrants dizzy adapter and run LM or SMEC electronics so that makes things easier too.

If you don't need a/c, I think its a toss up, 50/50.

135sohc
06-25-2013, 08:03 PM
2.4 all the way.

fixit
06-25-2013, 09:50 PM
great post..
i have both sitting in the garage and have been contemplating the best option
a-2.5 with hybrid (srt head)
b-srt block/head..

i don't want the expense/pain of a megasquirt so i'm going to socket the stock pcm

i have 2 options for turbo's, s3 or LCR s3 clone (upgraded to a td06)--> target 400hp on e85 & auto/a413
intake, pt should work (plan b, fab something)

my current plan is 2.5 w/hybrid & s3, w/ stock pcm (socketed)

strang3majik
06-25-2013, 10:04 PM
Hmm. Ac is something I didn't think about. While it doesn't work now I do plan on making it work eventually since I live in Florida. Hmm.

Now me personally? I do not own a welder or really have any experience welding. So I would have to buy mounts for the srt. And at almost $350 bones for mounts and a dizzy adapter it makes me want to cry a tad. Especially since if I'm using an srt block I would like to either use a t850 or 568.

Choices choices.

I like the stock like bolt together-ness of the hybrid though. But right about the oil passages needing closed up. Hmmm

bakes
06-25-2013, 10:04 PM
I think you have to ask what are you HP goals and at what Rpm 1st

Aries_Turbo
06-25-2013, 10:09 PM
AC wouldnt be that hard.

srt compressor and stubs of the original hoses, l body lines. use some flare fittings to adapt the lines together.

Brian

strang3majik
06-25-2013, 10:19 PM
And I was told by someone I trust pretty well that the common blocks were a bit healthier than the 2.4 blocks. I don't 100% know if its true. But I trust his input.

- - - Updated - - -

My power goal honestly isn't that high. But more for the cross flow head and future growth.

If my car ran a 12.99 I'd be stoked. So that's all I'm looking for......for now. Like everything else ill get used to that eventually so ill want to grow. I know with the 2.4 it's not difficult to get 500hp out of one without even removing the valve cover. I'm sure once a hybrid was together and running its be much the same.

- - - Updated - - -

But I love the torque, sound, and smoothness of my srt4. I'd like that same feeling in a lighter package.

fixit
06-25-2013, 10:41 PM
around 400hp the 2.4 block have issue with the bedplates cracking, this can be solved with a strap kit, direct or machine -- your choice

seems the cb have more metal, and i'd remove the balance shafts for both

And I was told by someone I trust pretty well that the common blocks were a bit healthier than the 2.4 blocks. I don't 100% know if its true. But I trust his input.

- - - Updated - - -

My power goal honestly isn't that high. But more for the cross flow head and future growth.

If my car ran a 12.99 I'd be stoked. So that's all I'm looking for......for now. Like everything else ill get used to that eventually so ill want to grow. I know with the 2.4 it's not difficult to get 500hp out of one without even removing the valve cover. I'm sure once a hybrid was together and running its be much the same.

- - - Updated - - -

But I love the torque, sound, and smoothness of my srt4. I'd like that same feeling in a lighter package.

Vigo
06-26-2013, 01:49 AM
If my car ran a 12.99 I'd be stoked. So that's all I'm looking for......for now

You can do that with a log motor and some slicks! I dont really think power potential is an issue with either setup, they both fail from hairy-edge tuning and fuel and heat control issues before they die from the bottom end just giving up.

OmniLuvr
06-26-2013, 11:54 AM
If you don't need a/c, I think its a toss up, 50/50.

this^ espescially if you have the srt engine already.

also, do you plan on running a 2.2 or 2.5 hybrid? i still think a 2.4 will make more torque than an l-body will ever need.

what trans do you plan on running with the hybrid?

what parts do you have to do the hybrid? if buying mounts and a dissy makes you cry, youll be dropping more money on pistons, oil lines, timing belt, cam gears, and machine work (block AND head).

is your srt engine a true srt engine or just a 2.4?

im a fan of the hybrid for all the points you listed in the first post, but unless you have the cash to through at it it may take a while before the engine is together (ive been collecting parts for awhile).

you may be able to recoupe some money from the sale of the srt engine, what is the mileage and story on it?

strang3majik
06-26-2013, 05:33 PM
It's a true srt engine. No idea on miles but its been rebuilt before as it has a tag on the freeze plug.

But the thing that sucks about the srt engine is buying he mounts and such and still only being halfway there. I just feel you'd be further ahead with a hybrid. But I only have a 86 2.2 so I'd have to source a common block. Be cheap enough though. I wasn't aware there was heavy machining? And people have used stock pistons? But thought it was mostly the oil return and timing setup?

For now I'm throwing the 2.2 in. But I'm talking a build. Lol

OmniLuvr
06-26-2013, 06:35 PM
stock pistons if your using a 2.5 (but not ompitmal), i believe its oil ports on both the head and the block that need to be blocked off then the block and head need to be resurfaced. the oil returns, oil feed and crankcase equalizer need to be blocked off on the block, i think its just the oil drains on the head? then you need to fab new oil drain and oil feed lines.

i dont like the idea of custom mounts right now, if we had hondas and they made mounts for every swap under the sun then id go that way, but as of now i dont "think" anyone makes them but i could be wrong. And i personally hate working on the "front" timing areas of 2.4's, maybe its because its always been on pt cruisers, but i hate them so much that im not even thinking 2.4 in an l-body.

id like to see you build a hybrid, but having the 2.4 already is very tempting. what other parts do u have to run on the 2.4 or hybrid? turbo's, headers, intakes?

you could run 2.5 pistons with a 2.2 crank if you had custom length rods made, but that could cost some cash?

so a 2.5 bottom end would be cheapest, then buy arp rod bolts too keep it together to 400hp? youd make plenty of torque and hp? sell the srt motor to buy hybrid cam gears, cams (to make a little more hp, less torq?), t-belt, longer plug wires (possible hybrid dissy depending on what you want to do), custom intake and possible header depending on what you want to run, and it could also pay for maching and hoses possibly?

unless you could sell the srt heads to fund the swap?

turbovanmanČ
06-26-2013, 07:06 PM
Brian, SRT engine A/C would be cake, Hybrid would be a pain but with some fabbing etc, I guess anything is possible.

$350 for mounts isn't a big deal, as your going to spend that on hybrid cam gears.

2.5 hybrid you don't need any piston machining, 2.2 they need notching.

OmniLuvr
06-26-2013, 07:39 PM
who makes mounts?

Captain Chaos
06-26-2013, 08:02 PM

I loved the sound of my SRT4. I'd like to put a 2.4 in something but for me welding/fab skills are limited so making mounts is out. I'd gladly buy from someone though.

turbovanmanČ
06-26-2013, 08:44 PM
A guy named "***********mygod" or something like that makes mounts-

I'll find his post when I get home.

tryingbe
06-26-2013, 09:35 PM
If my car ran a 12.99 I'd be stoked. So that's all I'm looking for......for now.

Too much work for not much gain. Stay with 8 valves and use all your stock bolt on parts and save yourself headaches and money.

Marcus86GLHS's 1986 Shelby GLHSIn July of 2005, a custom 3-bar calibration (logic module) from Turbos Unleashed was installed giving car improved management of fuel, spark, and boost, now set to 18 psi. Car dynoed 232 hp, 302 ft-lbs torque to the tires (that's a 15% gain for just one $180 part!). Pictured are my friends James, Jonny and Dave who all helped out.

NEW BEST ET OF 12.923 seconds at 104 MPH.

Read more: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/632619/1986-shelby-glhs/page-10/#ixzz2XNORtbFa