PDA

View Full Version : TIII Air Conditioning leaking

DoubleD
06-20-2013, 05:19 PM
I am getting ready to charge the A/C in my IROC R/T once more. I charged the air two years ago using one of those devices that attaches to the House Air compressor to produce vacuum and I don't think I pulled it down far enough. All of the refrigerant leaked out and there is no pressure in my system now. What is known to leak on the R/T's I remember reading a year ago or so that the bolts on the compressor can leak. I am just not sure what to check or test before recharging. The car is converted to R-134. I just want to know what to check or replace before recharging. I replaced all the seals before I charged it last time, the condenser was out of a Caravan and was under pressure and held a charge when I got it. The compressor worked great before, I got it used from a guy and it was working when he took it off. I also replaced the accumulator before I charged it two years ago. I would just like to fix it for good and have AC all the time.
Thanks

Vigo
06-20-2013, 07:45 PM
Was there dye in the system last time? Im assuming no since you didnt mention it.

Well, first thing i would do is look for wet spots anywhere on the system that would be evidence of a leak (the refrigerant will evaporate and leave no trace but the oil leaves a wet spot). Double, triple, quadruple check for anything suspicious.

If you dont find it that way, hook your gauges up to the system (if you dont have gauges, go get some, they ARE necessary) and use a rubber tipped air hose to pressurize the AC system up to whatever your compressor goes up to (you have a compressor?). If it's a fast leak you will hear it and be able to find it. One trick you can use to get your ear down into the engine bay is to stick a piece of vacuum/heater hose (whatever you have) in your ear and wave the other end over everything you can get to while the system has pressure in it.

If you cant hear it, and cant see it, then you just need to charge the system using an oil with dye (parts store sell a big quart for $15) and just wait for it go out again. THEN you should be able to find the leak by looking for the dye.