PDA

View Full Version : turbonator cal questions

Turbo Joe
06-12-2013, 05:20 PM
looking at getting my first flash into the sbec (91) really soon,( screw the F.A.S.T. system i had) and as I'm getting ready i'm wondering as i finish up all the odds and ends is will the turbonator cal be able to use the output from the lc-1 wideband as a source for the o2 ? or do i need to install a stock narrowband o2 just for the ecu? I don't really want 2 O2 sensors.. also I like the dualstage boost control option available now but is it as good or better than an aftermarket dualstage boost controler ( i have a turbo-xs dual stage model) ? and also i lost my paper that came with the wire for the sbec so is the red wire a hot-keyed wire or constant and if so fuse size?? Last thing is when i input my injector size in MP2 is it auto scaling everything automatically or do i need to do edits myself? I'm running 72 pph injectors for now and will upgrade to the 83's after depending on how close i'm maxing out duty cycle %.i'm only looking to tune for 500-550 for the longevity reasons. thanks to all replies in advance :)

bfarroo
06-12-2013, 08:57 PM
Is the LC-1 output a simulated Narrowband output? If so there shouldn't be any issue using that. When you open the cal do the map and injector scaling first so all of the tables get adjusted right away then you can fine tune from there. What kind of SBEC do you have?

Turbo Joe
06-12-2013, 11:48 PM
yes its a narrowband output but since the ecu won't see the O2 heater load will it trigger any codes or limp modes?
ok So when I open the cal I have to scale the fuel map and injector size first then the program should autoscale the rest correct? assuming all I have to do is input my injector size?
Or are there any lists with a scaled base pulse width for the fuel map? My sbec is a sbec1 hence the (91) comment.. sbec from a 91 r/t, I had shel-game do the flashable mod thing to it.

Unacceptable
06-12-2013, 11:51 PM
No, the SBEC1 does not monitor the O2 sensor heater. As far as I know, that wasn't added until the Neons in 95.

Turbo Joe
06-14-2013, 01:03 AM
ok great so far with the answers, how about the rest? aiming at loading up the cal this weekend to trying to get it running again. I'm really anxious to hear what my new header sounds like..

Turbo Joe
06-16-2013, 01:50 AM
ok i really need help. I've tried before and had a hard time, now I really need to get this program working so I can try and get my car running. I've downloaded MPtune2 and when i try to open up and of the cals availible the program starts by displaying the program loading page (red Daytona) then the program auto miniumizes to the bottom bar and does nothing. please help !! I really need a step by step.. am i even trying to open the correct file? I don't know anything about mptune... Dcal I can open cals the fast system for editing was great, I've used Haltek before and that was fine too.. but MPtune2 just doesn't work :(

Turbo Joe
06-17-2013, 12:53 AM
OK Today's update.. I got the MPTune to work after finding the charge cord for the older laptop i have that has Win Vista instead of the newer laptop that runs win7. Why the program doesn't run in Win7 or maybe a config issue with the newer laptop? who knows.. but i scaled the turbonator cal for my injectors and made sure it was scaled for 3bar. I'll try to load it in the sbec hopefully tomorrow..

wowzer
06-17-2013, 09:54 AM
tj - i have mptune2 running on win xp, win vista, win 7 and win 8. don't know why you are having issues. i'll help if i can.

Turbo Joe
06-20-2013, 10:54 AM
I don't know but maybe when the program first starts up you know how it automatically checks for an update first? Maybe a firewall or something is blocking internet connection and it can't verify it's version so maybe it hangs up at idle till it can verify? I'm gonna check to see if it's that. But one question i have is do the boostbutton flashable mods done to the sbecs come with a factory cal or do they ship blank? I happened to do the dash lights yesterday and checking the lights i keyed on and off a few times triggering the self diagnostics so i believe it has a cal on it already? Most likely a factory one, would i be correct assuming this? Either way i still need to load a cal scaled to 3bar and 72lb injectors.. I didn't request a cal to be loaded but maybe it was done for me? I'll have to see how my luck goes and try to read the sbec..

ShelGame
06-21-2013, 09:55 AM
I don't know but maybe when the program first starts up you know how it automatically checks for an update first? Maybe a firewall or something is blocking internet connection and it can't verify it's version so maybe it hangs up at idle till it can verify? I'm gonna check to see if it's that. But one question i have is do the boostbutton flashable mods done to the sbecs come with a factory cal or do they ship blank? I happened to do the dash lights yesterday and checking the lights i keyed on and off a few times triggering the self diagnostics so i believe it has a cal on it already? Most likely a factory one, would i be correct assuming this? Either way i still need to load a cal scaled to 3bar and 72lb injectors.. I didn't request a cal to be loaded but maybe it was done for me? I'll have to see how my luck goes and try to read the sbec..

I put a stock cal on the flashable computers just to test the flash process and make sure the module works. I suppose I could wipe it after the test, but it seems kind of pointless.

As for your question on the red wire - It needs to go to 12v (battery, not switched on IGN) and a normally-off pushbutton. When you want to boot the SBEC to load or read a cal, you press the button before keying the car on, and release the button immediately after key-on.

Turbo Joe
06-21-2013, 04:49 PM
I put a stock cal on the flashable computers just to test the flash process and make sure the module works. I suppose I could wipe it after the test, but it seems kind of pointless.

As for your question on the red wire - It needs to go to 12v (battery, not switched on IGN) and a normally-off pushbutton. When you want to boot the SBEC to load or read a cal, you press the button before keying the car on, and release the button immediately after key-on.

awesome thank you Rob for the reply to that :) hopefully everything goes good and i get to try it tomorrow.

Turbo Joe
07-04-2013, 03:33 AM
got another question... when it comes to the dual stage boost option, the higher boost i find in multiple tables all set originally to 11 psi and when i look in the low boost table its just one setting on a slide scale kind of thing.. to raise the high boost setting what table exactly to i adjust?

shackwrrr
07-04-2013, 10:19 AM
got another question... when it comes to the dual stage boost option, the higher boost i find in multiple tables all set originally to 11 psi and when i look in the low boost table its just one setting on a slide scale kind of thing.. to raise the high boost setting what table exactly to i adjust?

The boost control looks at all the tables then chooses the lowest one. If you just want one table to adjust just take all the tables but one and slide them all the way up. Then just adjust the one.

Turbo Joe
07-04-2013, 01:07 PM
Ok cool but i want the dual stage option how would i set it up? Also want to raise the rpm limit to 8k not the factory 6.2 or what ever it exactly is.. Thanks a bunch,, without this option for ecu control I'd still be at square one so I really appreciate all the help :)

shackwrrr
07-04-2013, 02:31 PM
You can do what I said for your high boost then set the low boost with the slider.

Rpm limit I don't think will go that high. Its under the menu for OB and other limits.

ShelGame
07-05-2013, 09:10 AM
Just to add to what Ian typed; the switchable boost works by 'ignoring' the low setting (the slider) when the switch is 'on'. When the switch is off, it us used the same as the other boost lookups.

Personally, I set the highest boost in every table to the max (but, keeping the protection areas for cold coolant temp and high charge temp), except the boost from tps. I use that to set the true high boost level at high throttle. And, I usually use 9psi or so for part throttle.

Turbo Joe
09-11-2013, 11:06 PM
ok here's another question.. I occasionally get a code 13 to pop up.. when i free rev it and let it come down it sometimes stumbles to catch itself to idle then throws a code 13..
turbonator T III 16v (91 r/t) i'm using a gm 3bar map sensor running 72 lb injectors base pressure set to 45-50ish and my A/F ratio's aren't to bad but it jumps back and forth from a steady 12.6-13.2 to 14.7-15.5 ....egt's at idle are around 1100 and climb to 1200 throwing revs, NO load and that seems very warm to me.. also noticed my tip in looking at the a/f gauge drops down to 12.2 range with just a slight throttle free revs.. maybe some tip in adjustments or is maybe something not scaled right? i tried to give as much info as possible.. what do you guys think?
one more thing is I'm running lonewolf stage2 cams and getting 8-10 vac

cordes
09-11-2013, 11:44 PM
In my experience a code 13 is almost always a vacuum line or solenoid related issue. I've never owned a TIII car, but I wouldn't be put off by those EGT numbers depending on what your timing is at idle especially given your relatively low vac that you're pulling there.