PDA

View Full Version : Used engine suggestions

turbo84voyager
06-12-2013, 04:47 PM
My friend burned a valve ( I believe) in his 90 caravan turbo 5-spd. It is low on compression in cyl 2 ( 70 psi max) and adding oil does not make a difference. Anyway the engine has close to 225k miles on it and is all original except for a head gasket. Through my local connections I found him a complete 2.5 turbo for $200 that has less than 75K on it and was out of a wrecked caravan. My suggestion to him was with all the miles on his and for how cheap the engine is, I would just swap out the engine for the other. The concern I have is the used engine has been sitting for quite a few years ( I honestly dont know how long). It has been in dry storage. I told him I would at minimum replace the rear main seal. Is there anything I need to worry about the seals in the turbo? or should I throw his turbo on? I was going to put some marvels mystery oil in the cylinders a day or 2 before turning it over. I have pulled apart engines that have sat longer then this and everything looked fine in the engine but my biggest concern are the turbo seals. I am looking for any suggestions especially the turbo, I have never used a turbo that sat for years.

Thanks,

Justin

Vigo
06-12-2013, 04:59 PM
To be honest, i've had extremely good luck using engines that sat, even outside, for years. I would just leave the coil wire off until it's pumped oil everywhere and then let her rip! If the engine is still bolted to a transmission you can run a starter off jumper cables and get some compression readings but my guess is it will be fine.