PDA

View Full Version : dogbone mount in 555 q's

tvanlant
01-05-2006, 09:58 PM
Ok... in most all of the how-to's on 555 installation in an L-body, the dogbone mount is still used instead of the bobble strut. I want to use the dogbone, but the bracket that the dogbone mounts to the 525 will not bolt up to the 555 (on the transmission side). What is involved in making the dogbone mount possible on the 555?

TurboGLH
01-05-2006, 10:12 PM
Don't bother, you can use the bobble strut with the stock mount location with a little work. I was gonna post a how-to, but there's already one up so here you go.

http://www.hometown.aol.com/mopartek/L_body_kframe.html

tvanlant
01-05-2006, 10:58 PM
yes, but I want to use the solid mounting force of the dogbone, not the sloppy movement of an old bobble strut.

TurboGLH
01-05-2006, 11:05 PM
Sorry, can't help you there. I've seen it done, but I don't know how. Unless you were to buy a solid bobble replacement from polybushings and use that.

cordes
01-05-2006, 11:18 PM
You could even modify the stock bobble strut the way Gus did. Just cut the appropriate dia. pipe of the proper length down the center so that you have two pieces, and then worm clamp them to the piston of the bobble strut. Thereby eliminating the possiblilty for movement. Doesn't get much cheaper than that.

GLHNSLHT2
01-06-2006, 12:54 AM
Less than 10 bucks for a piece of 1" pipe, a cap, bolt and a couple ES poly bushings. If ya want to go more expensive then I'd get the solid setup from Johnny at Polybushings.com

turbojerk
01-06-2006, 06:39 AM
yes, but I want to use the solid mounting force of the dogbone, not the sloppy movement of an old bobble strut.

I can make you a bracket similar to the one in this pic with out the rod set up, but you WILL need to relocate the mounting tab on the cross member....

http://beta9.picturehost.co.uk/Photo0038.jpg

sergio
01-06-2006, 07:24 PM
I built a custom offset bracket (based off the one mockGLH made) to accomodate my quickor bobble. But I've used the really long bolt method before with no problems.

boost geek
01-07-2006, 01:48 AM
I'm in the process of installing a 520 in my s.c., so far has been a pita. I want to use a dogbone mount, but dont know how it's gonna line up to the k frame. Tranny will be in tomorrow, will post pics, modified the tranny mount quite a bit. If it doesnt work I'm going bobble....:(