PDA

View Full Version : Dodge Daytona Iroc engine swaps.

Who-is-JohnGalt?
06-08-2013, 07:14 PM
I apologize if this the wrong place but I could not find another place that seemed more approriate.

Anyways, I am curious about what other Chryco V6 powerplants are swappable into the 92/93 Iroc 3.0 Daytonas. I seen a thread where a 3.8 was swapped into a tbi 88 base daytona but I know there are a few differences between the 88 base models vs the later irocs so the info there was not applicable to my questions.

I know the 3.8 went up to 215hp & 245tq which would imo more than better the R/T stock performance.

I also know that a few changes was made during the 90-2008 model years of that motor and how the power increased making later 3.8s not boost friendly, But much more reliable and low end ower on tap with no lag.

so

- - - Updated - - -

Guess I ran out of room. Anyways...
So what would be needed to swap a 2001-08 3.8 into an Iroc? Also what 5 speed would you have to use with this setup?
Also, if I wanted to go the boosted route what 3.8 motor would be best with say an Eaton M90? And how would I need to set that up? I am trying to make this a budget build, and am not looking for a race car or even 12 second car just a true Chrysler powered torquey,fun daily driver that will be fairly quick and reliable relatively speaking.
I saw a guy here used a junkyard 3.0 with stock electronics but custom manifold and head work which is kinda similar to what I am thinking.

Any ideas or suggestions and advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tempted
06-15-2013, 02:19 PM
A 3.8 won't have more usable power than the R/T without heavy mods, and even then the R/T can make 450hp without heavy mods. What's wrong with the 6G72? Its a tried and proven mill with nearly unlimited aftermarket support. From 140hp SOHC base models to 800hp TT DOHC monsters, the 6G is fantastic.

cordes
06-15-2013, 07:16 PM
I have nothing to add, but I would like to say welcome to the site! I love your username.

Who-is-JohnGalt?
06-19-2013, 02:07 AM
Thank you for the replies.

As for the why, It is not because I feel the 3.0 is bad, it is quite good. But it is a foreign heart in a historically named American car and as such should have an american heart.

And in stock form the 3.8 has a stronger powerband and more power across the board. Plus I think having a big v6 in the Daytona would be badass. Even moreso if I threw an Eaton M90 or similar supercharger plus it would be unique and an extremely fun car that matched.

So that is why I am asking this so I can play it right.

And thanks Cordes.

Vigo
06-25-2013, 05:13 PM
The 'easy' way to do what you're suggesting is to use the mounts, engine harness, transmission, and computer from a 92-93 New Yorker Fifth Avenue 3.8L, or a 92-93 3.8L Imperial. I would personally use the entire engine as well and just replace the top end with the newer stuff when it is convenient/available in your junkyards. There is nothing about the bottom ends that was substantially changed that affects power, and the early motors are just as reliable as the later ones other than the slim possibility of timing chain slack causing the chain to jump teeth (this is easily prevented by replacing the timing set while the motor is still out of the car).

You'll have to do some light re-wiring on the engine harness to adapt it to your different front end lighting and to match the pinouts of the major engine harness to body harness connector with is either on the firewall or right inside the firewall under the dashboard. You can get those pinouts by buying a short subscription for each vehicle to Alldatadiy, or by printing them out at a shop that already has a subscription to alldata or a competing service.

Your existing axles, exhaust, radiator, steering rack, a/c condenser, etc can all be reused. You MAY have to do some rigging or digging to get radiator hoses and a/c lines to hook up, or you may not.

All in all it should be relatively straightforward.

IF you were willing to stay in the mitsubishi 6g engine family, there are also 3.8L motors in that family that breathe even better and have the potential to make much more power, much more easily. But it sounds like you want an american engine design, and i've got no reason to talk you out of that..

turbovanmanČ
06-25-2013, 08:00 PM
What trans bolts up to a 3.8L?

- - - Updated - - -

What 5 speed trans bolts up to a 3.8L?

Aries_Turbo
06-25-2013, 10:15 PM
i know there is talk about the t850 from a 2.7L stratus R/T bolting up to the 3.3L, 3.8L, 2.7L and 3.5L v6 motors.

I personally would love to see a 3.5L from an intrepid bolted to a 5-speed t850 with the quaife from the srt's t850 in any of our cars.

add megasquirt and then add boost. mmmmmmmm that would be awesome.

Brian

Vigo
06-26-2013, 01:39 AM
I totally agree!

And yes, the t850 that was hooked to 2.7s in some rare stratus r/t sedans (sedan ONLY) and sebring gtc convertible (convertible ONLY) does bolt up to the 3.5.

The only other FWD transmissions that bolt to it are the 604 and the newer 61te 6spd auto. 604 is the 'easy button' because any factory 3.8 harness and computers is setup to run a 604 anyway and no mods to the rest of the car are required as far as axles, mounts, etc. The only thing required would be to use the shifter and shift cable from a 3.0/604 daytona, which are common.

turismolover22
06-26-2013, 02:29 AM
If the 604 fits wouldnt the 543 fit?

jonnymopar
06-26-2013, 09:44 AM
If the 604 fits wouldnt the 543 fit?

The 543 should fit. I'd rather go through the effort of putting an OBX in a 543 then starting with a T850.

Vigo
06-26-2013, 01:07 PM
A 543 WILL NOT fit. The 604 has numerous different case designs to fit different engine bellhousings. So, unlike the 523 and 543 which are pretty much the same but got different numbers because they have different cases, all the different case versions of the 604 are still called 604. But they are not all the same. The 3.0 604 has a 3.0 bellhousing and it wont fit the 3.5. I tried lining up a 543 with a 3.3 (same bellhousing as 3.5) at one point and even went as far as cutting on the 3.3 block before i figured out it just wasnt feasible to make it bolt on without an adapter plate. If someone wanted to get an adapter plate made, and a flywheel spacer, and custom bolts for it, you could probably run it and just use a shorter driver's side axle (90 Omni axle maybe?) to make up for the shift, but you'd probably still be in it for hundreds of dollars, and since the 3.5 crank sensor reads off a trigger ring inside the bellhousing, you'd either have to mod the 543 bellhousing to accept a (very precisely indexed/located) crank sensor, and run the 2.7 modular clutch setup after modding it to use a clutch disc which fits 543 input shaft splines, OR make a custom trigger ring, put it on the crank pulley, and make a custom sensor bracket to read it.

So it is NOT easy. If it were easy to put a 3.5/543 combo in a k-car someone would have done it already. 3.5s have existed for 20 years now. That means for 20 straight years, everyone who has looked into it has said 'too much work'.

The 3.5 itself should not be too hard of a swap. Trying to put a 5spd in as well is where it starts to turn into a LOT of work. For what it's worth, i never wished my 3.5 intrepid had a manual.

Aries_Turbo
06-26-2013, 02:26 PM
the issue with the 604 (And variants) is that without programming mods, they dont last under larger than stock power.

they just shift too smooth which burns everything up.

yeah the 543 ONLY works on the chrysler/mitsu 3.0L 6g72 and other mitsu variant motors with that bellhousing.

the t850 in the 2.7L stratus R/T SEDAN (and the other cars that adam listed) is the only manual that will bolt up to a 3.3/3.8/3.5L chrysler motor.

hell, i want that setup in a 1g neon. t850 v6 box and a 250hp 3.5L. that would be mint.

if only i could the ecu modded to not freak out when the 604 was removed and be tunable for when i chop up the induction systems so it would pass an emissions scan.

Adam, your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to find me a texas-rust-free 1995 neon. :) please. :) (im actually a bit serious...)

Brian

Vigo
06-26-2013, 04:23 PM
Wait, you want a 95 neon? I HAVE a 95 neon. And i was planning to sell it after fixing it up some. I dont HAVE to fix it up if you want it right now.. If this is a serious deal i can tear down the junk 97 3.5 i have and throw it in the trunk for mockup purposes..

Go over to the hated TD and check out the chrysler v6 section, user Jimbo something or other (there are numbers at the end) has a running 3.3/t850 swapped 1g neon on MS that he just build some ITBs for. His knowledge should get you 80-90% of the way to a 3.5/t850 setup as two of the mounts, the hydro clutch setup (iirc?), and some other stuff should be the same.

Im fairly confident in the 604 behind a 3.8 in a lighter car. They hold up alright even in 4000 lb minivans with that motor as long as you dont have a clogged cooler or cooler valve, and you change the fluid a few times throughout its life. In a lighter daytona it SHOULD be even more durable, assuming the same stock power level from the 3.8.

turbovanmanČ
06-26-2013, 07:09 PM
Vigo, link that thread will you please.

Vigo
06-26-2013, 11:48 PM
http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=362166

capev86
07-31-2013, 04:56 PM
if you have a mitsu 3.0 powered K based car, look into a later 3000gt for a hi-po 3.5, or a late model eclipse with the 260hp/tq Mivec 3.8.

even swapping the hotter cams in from a 3.0 powered 3000gt/stealth will bump you up 20hp to 160 on dodge powered by the 3.0!

Vigo
08-01-2013, 12:42 PM
The mitsu that makes 160hp also has a bigger throttle body and better exhaust manifolds to go with those cams. They won't give you 20 hp by themselves.

Also, 3000gts never came with the dohc 3.5 you are thinking of. That is available out of certain rareish monteros, and some more common kias and hyundais i believe.

Reaper1
09-25-2013, 07:13 PM
Just wanting to tag along for this ride...