PDA

View Full Version : pcv delete, only vent.

Punish'nRice
06-06-2013, 10:17 AM
Do I need the pcv valve between valve cover and intake? Been looking around for awhile on this but still coming up cloudy. I would think as long as the intake pcv port was plugged and your valve cover was vented to atmosphere with filter everything would be ok. Does this sound logical?

Thanks for any feed back.
Mahlon.

shadow88
06-06-2013, 10:38 AM
Yes you need it!!

If it weren't there your intake would pressurize your crankcase to nearly boost pressure and cause some serious oil leaks.

If you want to just vent the crankcase, just vent it rather than involving the intake at all.

amx364
06-06-2013, 10:38 AM
On my 64 Ford I removed the road draft tube and replaced with PCV system. So YES you can go backwards, but why?

Punish'nRice
06-06-2013, 11:11 AM
On my 64 Ford I removed the road draft tube and replaced with PCV system. So YES you can go backwards, but why?

Cause I don't want to run a catch can & I don't want oil vapors building up in my intake.

Yes you need it!!

If it weren't there your intake would pressurize your crankcase to nearly boost pressure and cause some serious oil leaks.

If you want to just vent the crankcase, just vent it rather than involving the intake at all.

That's what I'm asking just vent the crankcase. Intake is plugged, so no way for boost or vacuum pressure to get into valve/crankcase.

- - - Updated - - -

I just didn't know if valve cover/crankcase needs the vacuum suction of intake when not in boost.

- - - Updated - - -

Also with having the breather baffle mod stated on badassperformance where you rtv all the fins & side down. would this mod need that extra vacuum from intake?

cordes
06-06-2013, 11:57 AM
I'm of the opinion that mimicking the factory type setup is ideal. I've noticed better results in my vehicles with it that way than with just a vent.

BadAssPerformance
06-06-2013, 01:33 PM
I've just used a vent for years and it works, but I'll admit its not the best option...

glhs875
06-06-2013, 03:10 PM
Under boost the pcv valve does'nt work and can even force boost pressure into the crankcase if it leaks while under boost depending on how things are set up. I like to use a catch can and use the suction side of the turbo to help relieve the crankcase pressure and not use a pcv valve.

Gaboon
06-06-2013, 03:27 PM
I've had mine set up like stock for years yet the end that used to go to the air box was vented to atmosphere with a filter.

Problem is, there is absolutely no vacuum to the system while in boost. I never had a performance issue that I'm aware of but I've never been able to seal my engine. I've always had rear main seal leaks even with a fresh rebuild. Is the reason because it is vented to atmosphere with no suction while in boost?

I'll know by the weekend. I've just modified my turbo inlet hose with a fitting for the hose that was simply vented. Hopefully I'll see less oil drips on the garage floor. If it works, I'll add a catch can.