PDA

View Full Version : Need help with 1988 2.5 RWD Dakota.

DetroitTurbo
06-02-2013, 06:41 PM
The truck currently has a 2.2 with some wrist pin slap and a rear main seal leak, so I'm just going to build the 2.5 tall block I have and replace it with that. I have some questions though so please help me out!

Are the front and rear crank seal housings different on a 2.5 tall block from a 2.2 short block? Can I use the 2.2 rwd oil pan with a 2.5 tall block? If not, how can I go about modifying the oil pan to work with the 2.5? What kind of advance/retard will I have to run to make the 2.5 run off the same electronics? I have a 32/36 dfev weber right now. I think the .06 over 2.2 sealed power pistons I have for it will make it 11-1 compression or so, will the 32/36 be able to handle that?

ShelGame
06-02-2013, 10:17 PM
2.5 Tall Block uses the same seal housings F/R as the common block. So, probably not the same as the '88 2.2 RWD. And, that means the oil pan probably won't go either. You'll need to find the oil pan and pickup from a later 2.5 CB Dak.

Alternatively, I think there was a way to make the early front crank seal housing work on a CB. But, it involves drilling and tapping the block. I don't recall the details...

DetroitTurbo
06-02-2013, 10:36 PM
Damn, that sucks. You wouldn't happen to have any front/rear CB housings would you?

I could just get a CB pan, cut a notch into it and weld in sheet metal to make it the same shape as the RWD pan.