PDA

View Full Version : fixing DSC front side ground effects panel

cybershelby
05-31-2013, 10:57 PM
My 83 1/2 DSC's front side-panel ground effects (the panel that surrounds the front side marker light/reflector) both have distortion bulge after 30 years life. Anyone figure out a way to remove the bulge other than a screw through the flexing plastic and into the sheet metal beneath it?

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3768/8907777661_87f8d5e935.jpg

cordes
06-01-2013, 12:58 AM
I would try some quality double sided tape of the sort used for adhereing things like that. Minigts had a similar situation when we were doing his. Isn't there a lock ring deal on the back of that piece in two spots? Are they in place on yours?

raccoon
06-01-2013, 01:15 AM
id look into 3m VHB tape its awesome.

minigts
06-01-2013, 03:02 AM
Are the tabs broken off the back? If not, you can use those nuts that push onto them and it should pull it closer to the fender. I know you probably will not be or don't want to repaint them, but you could try a heat gun on that area and then see if you can sorta mold it back. May or may not mess the paint up. Maybe get a spare one and see if that happens.

cybershelby
06-01-2013, 11:57 AM
there is 1 round tab near the nose end of the panel. it goes thru a hole in the metal fender i see there is a hole drilled in that tab, so it looks like a cotter pin should be inserted from the inside of the fender to hold it in place ... that i can do ... but even if i push the panel in 'as if' the cotter pin is there, the panel area closest to the wheel well still bugles out. i have some of that 3M product, and it is awesome, so that could be an answer once i add some material to the back of the panel so the tape would be tight against the metal fender ...

appreciate the feedback. thanx.

minigts
06-01-2013, 03:08 PM
I'd correct the problem if you can. Putting a band-aid or tape on it will only last so long. I'm with you and understand if you can't get another one and paint it, but it will eventually pop back out. One question though, does it sit ok when not bolted to the car? If so, you could elongate the hole. I feel that the issue is that the nub his hitting the side of the hole and with the screw fastening the GFX to the fender, it causes it to flex and create that bulge. I don't remember what I did to correct mine.

fishcleaner
06-01-2013, 10:45 PM
id look into 3m VHB tape its awesome.
good chit, that will work