PDA

View Full Version : a few 2.4 l-body swap questions

strang3majik
05-30-2013, 04:16 AM
Prereq info: I'm putting a PT Turbo engine into an 85 l-body with a 555 trans.

First off, I'm seeing mixed results, will an srt4 intake manifold fit?

Second, can I use the stock turbofold and will my starter fit beneath it? I realize the 2.2 transmissions mount the starter in the rear vs the front on the stock 2.4 setup, what kind of issues does this raise?

Also, am I using the 2.2 8 bolt flywheel with a 555? Or do I need an SRT one?

Am I using the original 2.2 or the newer 2.4 starter?

What will I be buying a clutch for?

Any other issues I'll run into bolting a 555 to it? I hear of this bolt hole that won't line up but have yet to get both the engine and trans into a position to look at this.

Thanks guys.

strang3majik
05-31-2013, 02:18 AM
Anyone? These are the little things I'm not finding reason about the swap.

strang3majik
05-31-2013, 07:15 PM
I found something about having to grind on the block and starter for it to fit? Any truth to that?

glhs727
05-31-2013, 07:57 PM
what about axles? what are you using for axles?

roachjuice
05-31-2013, 10:46 PM
what about axles? what are you using for axles?

If he's running a 555 he can run the usual 90 model auto axles. The neon trans would be different I would imagine.

strang3majik
06-01-2013, 12:41 AM
Yes, 90 auto axles. Lifetime warranty supply of them...lol

But on the other questions...any info?

roachjuice
06-02-2013, 10:25 AM
Yes, 90 auto axles. Lifetime warranty supply of them...lol

But on the other questions...any info?

On the holes not lining up on the front hole, I would get a piece of flat steel with 2 holes drilled on each end. One up to the trans and one to the block. Iirc that's how someone did it.

jonnymopar
06-28-2013, 01:00 PM
Prereq info: I'm putting a PT Turbo engine into an 85 l-body with a 555 trans.

First off, I'm seeing mixed results, will an srt4 intake manifold fit?

It will fit the engine no problem, it's a matter of fitting it in the engine bay. I had plenty of room for my swap in a Daytona, so I don't know exactly how much room there is in an L body. The Neon engine bay is pretty tight, so you might be all set.

Second, can I use the stock turbofold and will my starter fit beneath it? I realize the 2.2 transmissions mount the starter in the rear vs the front on the stock 2.4 setup, what kind of issues does this raise?

Rich Bryant posted some pictures of what he did for his starter. I think it was a matter of removing the bolt closest to the engine, cutting it, and welding in a piece of strapping so it wasn't as thick. Unfortunately I'm not exactly sure since I used an older 2.4, which the starter fits absolutely perfectly.

I've been using a stock SRT turbofold with the starter underneath it as long as my car has been swapped (31k miles and counting).

For extra insurance, I put one of these around mine:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dei-010402

I don't know if that's the exact one since I bought it close to 7 years ago, but I know it's that brand.

Also, am I using the 2.2 8 bolt flywheel with a 555? Or do I need an SRT one?

Use the 2.2 flywheel. Just make sure you have the 2.2 flywheel bolts to use. Same thread, but the 16 valve bolts are too short.

Am I using the original 2.2 or the newer 2.4 starter?

555 = 2.2 starter.

What will I be buying a clutch for?

As long as you stick with the 2.2 turbo flywheel, buy a clutch for any 520/555 turbo application. I just put in a Turbos Unleashed Stage 3 plate (yellow) with the 6-puck sprung hub. Feels great so far.

Any other issues I'll run into bolting a 555 to it? I hear of this bolt hole that won't line up but have yet to get both the engine and trans into a position to look at this.

It's on the front of the engine. The other 3 holes (including the rear dowel hole) will line up. Many solutions have been tried and I'm not sure of anyone having a problem with it. My current solution is a bit ghetto: I found a wheel stud that fit into the unused 2.4 block ear, and I simply used a lug nut to hold a Caravan front mount to it. The other hole in the mount lines up with an existing transmission hole. I'll get some pictures. Again, it's ghetto, but it works. I was really glad it worked because once it's in there, you can't remove it without removing the transmission first. The bellhousing blocks it in.

My recommendation (and I should have done this long ago) is to use the SRT-4/PT Turbo lower inspection cover/trans brace piece. That will earn you some strength since it provides another point of attachment for the transmission, plus it attaches to the oil pan as well, stiffening things up a bit on the bottom half of the trans. If you're using a PT Turbo engine, you already have the correct oil pan to use that brace with.